ABW Ambassador
    If your sites are not doing that great in Inktomi/MSN now, start doing some things that will get them good. Yahoo will probably make the switch early next year (maybe sooner?) I can see some taking a major dip in earnings if not prepared. Also Yahoo will be pushing their shopping search (should come out of beta in September) a little harder ala Froogle, got to see how that goes. Just posting so we don't have a lot of WTF happened to my traffic posts. Of course those doing well already in Inktomi are in good shape.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

I can't wait

---------------------------------------
    But it beats a real j.o.b.

and what 'things' would you recommend we do?

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

ABW Ambassador
    Trying to figure out that one myself. Google loves me, Inktomi just kinda likes me right now. I like the paid inclusion for pages that i update a lot and make good money. The 48 hr. refresh rate is great. It seems the pages that do make it in have at least 2 links to in from around my site. Pages i link too just from my site map aren't in, but i link to the page from the site map plus 1 other place, they get it, at least from what i can see. So paid inclusion and at least 2 links to pages you want to get in free, thats what i'm trying right now.

ABW Ambassador
    I never paid for inclusion.
    So I just went to inktomi.com and I think you are referring to Search Submit, not the Index Connect option.
    Then they have 5 or 6 resellers where you can pay the annual fee.
    Do you get to choose the keyword(s)?

Irma

ABW Ambassador
    I'll be ready Of course it's costing me a little money now. I wonder how many posts there will be about this when the switch is made and a lot take a hit. Prepare now...

ABW Ambassador
    I think it's tough to prepare right now b/c it's not certain what Yahoo will do with Inktomi or if MSN will continue to use Inktomi after their contract with them expires.

The Yahoo/Ink survey scared me enough so that I don't trust what the outcome will be until I see it. It's bad to be unprepared, but what do we prepare for? I just can't tell.

If we concentrate on Inktomi what happens to "old" inktomi results if/when a PPC model is introduced by Yahoo for it? Yahoo will be under pressure to bring in money on their new program. Could pre-existing results be sent to the back of the line? They have already made money from those listings and would have no incentive to put the old results at the top. Would it be better to wait until the new model comes in?

On the other hand, if/when they go to a PPC that means an editor will judge your site and will only allow one page from the site in, not all the site pages as it is now (IF they follow the Looksmart model, that is.)

Also, there was some talk after Yahoo bought Overture that MSN might ditch Overture after the contract expires. MSN did not dispute this. IF MSN's rationale is that they don't want to pay a competitor which was the rationale given by certain commentators for them perhaps dropping Overture after the contract expires, it makes sense that they would revisit the Ink feed as well.

Perhaps it will lead to a flip flop - Inktomi and Overture results go to Yahoo, Google and AdWords go to MSN?????

Who knows? It just doesn't seem to me that there is enough information to go on yet as far as how this will all shake out.

Kip

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/3296001

"Yahoo!'s expected algorithmic search switch from Google to Inktomi will come in the next few months, according to search engine marketing execs who have spoken with Yahoo! employees."

"Our short-term goal will be to have [the Yahoo! network throughout] the entire world using our algorithmic search in Inktomi," said Terry Semel, CEO of Yahoo!"

"The terms of that contract haven't been made public, but some say Yahoo! is preparing to flip the switch in March."

"By the time the change comes, Inktomi will be providing algorithmic search results across both Yahoo!'s network and MSN's, since Inktomi results are expected to be fully integrated at MSN later this month."

You ready?

I work in lounge pants

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Will yahoo listings still be free?

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

ABW Ambassador
    If you're in free now at INK/MSN. If you have no problems with INK grabbing your pages for free. One site of mine is all in free, another i'm paying to get pages in.

Theres going to be an evening out in a couple of months.

Google-AOL and others

vs.

INK - MSN - Yahoo

Then later in the year MSN rolling out with their own search. If i were Google i would IPO as soon as possible.

ABW Ambassador
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5141328.html

another article, within the next 2 and a half months switch will happen.

I work in lounge pants

I can't wait to see google fall! If you have been in the SEO game since 1998 you have seen search engines rise and fall. It's happening again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I can't wait to see google fall! If you have been in the SEO game since 1998 you have seen search engines rise and fall. It's happening again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think most people here don't realize how well they've had it up to now with Google, even taking into account the Florida update. I don't know of any other business that will drive as much traffic to you for free. Many here have prospered well indeed under Google's "search monopoly".

I also believe diversification and competition in the search engine industry is a good thing overall, but when I look at my site that is listed well in Inktomi (unpaid, spidered results) I see a lot of pages that still rank very well, even though I've replaced them or removed them entirely a few months ago. I don't think a high-ranking 404 error page helps customers find what they are looking for very well, and I also think It's a waste of bandwidth for this sort of thing to go on as long as it does with Inktomi.

I have another site that I've paid to have several pages included in Inktomi and have no problems whatsoever with the service. With Yahoo/Inktomi, the key to good, fresh search listings is going to be the paid route - the free listings will probably be there just to make sure they have something to display in case there isn't enough paid listings, or the paid listings are too pathetic to rank highly.

People will need to be aware of the fact that Yahoo is not going to run the same service that Google does. Remember their survey a few months back? they were even asking what you thought of paying for the use of customer service!

I believe that Google does all of this much better, and all for free - in spite of it's foibles. You get regular spidering and updates and a fresh index - even though the results don't always make us happy.

Greg

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I can't wait to see google fall!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Perhaps you would like to explain why? I don't believe it's in anyone's interest to see Google, Yahoo/Inktomi or any other search engine fall. Putting all your eggs in one basket is fine until someone drops the basket.

Sounds like you may have had a bad experience with Google. Having faith that Yahoo alone will be your savior seems a bit risky. Yahoo could easily give your basket the boot in the future.

Wayne

Ditto what NorthernStudio said.

Greg

So, just what is it one does to prepare, anyway? I just make sites, hope they get picked up and then make more pages.

Don't know what else to do. I sure don't relish paying to get in especially since everyone says that once you pay, you don't get free any more.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So, just what is it one does to prepare, anyway? I just make sites, hope they get picked up and then make more pages.

Don't know what else to do. I sure don't relish paying to get in especially since everyone says that once you pay, you don't get free any more.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know what you mean SSanf. There is a lot of uncertainty that goes along with this, since it is going to be such a huge change. It will affect all of us in some way, either good or bad. I'm sure most of us will have to adapt somewhat if we want to maintain our businesses at their current income levels.

You might try checking your logs to see how many visitors you have coming from MSN, since they are using the Inktomi database currently. You could also go to Marketleap.com and use the search engine saturation tab to get an idea of many of your pages are in the Inktomi index. This may help you decide what actions you'll need to take, if any.

Greg

Well, Thank you. I am really more interested in where I come up on the keyword searches I want to rank on. Not as good as Google, over all. But, not a complete route either.

I just don't know what to do to get them to list my newer sites. I feel paying could come back and bite me where it hurts to sit. So, how to get in free is the question. I seem to rank well once I am in.

I think that is the question on everyone's mind.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So, how to get in free is the question. I seem to rank well once I am in.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the quickest way - if you don't want to pay - is to go through MSN and get links from the highest ranking sites you possibly can in your field. That's it.

Search Engine Marketing and Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread