Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've had 5 merchants show up in the past 3 days in my Deactivated Advertisers report:

HotelQuest Partner Program 26-Oct-2003
    DesignerShoes.com 26-Oct-2003
    The New York Pass 25-Oct-2003
    all-hotels 24-Oct-2003
    DomainZoo.com 23-Oct-2003

I'm not sure if it's just me or not, but I've never had that many merchants fall off the boat in such a quick amount of time. Luckily, most of them aren't "holiday" merchants who could be dropping off and hoping to get free advertising for the holidays.

I wonder, with the timing of the recent buyout, whether some merchants are jumping ship.

Of course, they COULD be reactivated on Monday by their AM's, but I just find it odd that so many are deactivated so quickly.

-----------------------------
    Scott

ABW Ambassador
    Add Love-Scent to the list
    Cazzie

Join the Fight! Parasite Free In 2003!

Add these to the list -

Bidz.com
    SuperFabulous
    ValueZone
    customatix.com
    Fright Catalog (reported in another thread)

I had already removed all but one of these from my site because of poor conversion. I haven't had this many merchants deactivate at one time since back in July 2000 (or was it 2001?) when so many merchants left in droves.

ABW Ambassador
    T Shipley 26-Oct-2003
    surpriseyourwoman.com 26-Oct-2003
    Bidz.com 26-Oct-2003
    Inkjets.com 26-Oct-2003
    Love Scent Pheromone 26-Oct-2003
    Fright Catalog affiliate program 25-Oct-2003
    Paintball-Online.com 25-Oct-2003
    shop.Hitmenow.com 24-Oct-2003
    DiningWare.com 24-Oct-2003
    Golfgods.com 24-Oct-2003
    BuyBelowCost Affiliate Network! 24-Oct-2003
    AHERNSTORE.COM 24-Oct-2003
    bodybyjake.com 24-Oct-2003
    ValueZone.com 24-Oct-2003
    customatix.com - shoes designed by you 24-Oct-2003
    CollegeJobBoard.com 24-Oct-2003
    Consumer Direct Warehouse 24-Oct-2003

More, deactivated.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

I got these I guess I do not check mine very often but then again I've not had any links up for them for ages
    MCSports.com 7-Oct-2003
    TheSportsAuthority.com 7-Oct-2003
    SportChalet.com 7-Oct-2003
    Oshmans.com 7-Oct-2003
    DunhamsSports.com 7-Oct-2003
    Ballystore.com 7-Oct-2003

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....STAMP EM OUT!!!
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

They're jumping ship. Wouldn't you?

Save your pages. They will probably be contacting the affiliates who were selling most for them. Or, they may want you to PROVE your interest by contacting them.

Many, many more will follow soon. Be prepared for a mass exodus after the holidays.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Why is there so many deactivation? Is it because CJ is accquired by valueclick?

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    cj must have told the merchants something they have not told affiliates.

Has anyone asked a merchant directly or a merchant explained to us what is going on.

Jorge

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I have emailed a few of the deactivated merchants, earlier in the week and no responses to date. If they are leaving CJ and did not give notice I'll be even more

ABW Ambassador
    I predicted a mass exodus right after the holidays. This is quite amazing that they are leaving prior.

But it is a good thing over time.

It sure seems like something is going on. Either that, or the accounting departments at those merchants forgot to refill their account balances at CJ.

Andy

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    They're jumping ship. Wouldn't you?

I have to agree that they are jumping ship. (This doesn't mean *I* would.) But big changes in companies in the brick-and-mortar world are often met with a bunch of ship-jumping, whether warranted or not. There's no reason for this to be different--the same human traits are in play! I won't be alarmed by it (of course I hope all my merchants stay put because dead links mean w*rk! And the other places still suck IMO.) for the first few months since that's just "what happens" with buyouts but after that it *should* stabilize and then return to growth.

Whether a company can pull off that last part--returning to growth--is a big part of what makes the difference between a successful merger/buyout and one that's not. This time I'm not making bets because I've seen it go both ways even when reading about very big (multi-billion dollar) companies!

As for "wouldn't you," (jump ship) I would try to refrain from any knee-jerk decisions. If I was a merchant, I would most likely re-evaluate all the networks and see if I still thought VC/CJ was still the best for me. Even if another place had a better "deal," the fact that the program would need to be re-established if it moved would count against any perceived benefit of switching.

"Wouldn't you" as an affiliate? No Way, jumping off a nice ship onto one of these leaky little rowboats I see paddling around isn't in the plan. Of course if customers are still bailing in droves after a few months (without good replacements coming on just as fast) I would be re-evaluating the seaworthiness of the vessel.

EDIT--I agree with BlueMountain (below) that there are a lot of losers in that list. I hadn't signed up with any of them, but for some of them there was a *reason* for that...

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Good ridance to most of them especially the amazing non-convertor, supercrapulous. The gsi programs left to join some loser network before the vc announcement. I'm pleased, overall this is a good improvement to cj.

[This message was edited by bluemountain on October 26, 2003 at 01:44 PM.]

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I don't know anything about any of these merchants. I do think that it would be unwise for merchants to close their CJ account or network hop right before the holiday season. Especially since no one knows what will happen yet with the VC deal. My guess most of these were already planning to close, could not afford CJ or had just been waiting for their CJ contracts to run out.

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    Amazing Socks::ABCLeads::4LowRates::ChatDollars::ConsciousOne::EveryTicket::Organize-Everything
    DentalPlans::Irv's Luggage::Executive Essentials::IntelliContactPro::zZounds::RoadLoans

[This message was edited by Catalyst on October 26, 2003 at 02:10 PM.]

I have to agree, I don't think I've ever seen that many merchants leave at once.

However, I think we also need to weigh that with how many merchants have joined CJ in the last month. I have no figures to back me up, but it appeared a higher number than normal.

So the scales of change may be equal...but time will tell.

EDITED: Now that I wrote this I looked back at the number of new advertisers this month and it is less that I thought. Perhaps I was thinking of last month (before the ValueClick announcement).

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I experienced a strange thing: in two of my cj.com account unitedshades.com is deactivated and in one not.

carneol

That’s actually a small list of merchants leaving. Remember when it only cost $900 to join CJ, then they changed and raised it, small loss, then they did it again and added the 30 cents per transaction on top of al the other increases. I lost over 100 merchants in 1 month.

ABW Ambassador
    California's recent anti-spam law suit victory (Friday October 24) will have its impact. With the law getting even tougher in January, merchants can be held responsible for the actions of their affiliates.

This was a key reason CJ sold out. CJ might paint the problem as minor, but CJ spam is a huge problem. It's just a matter of time before a large affiliate network and/or its member merchants face judgements in the millions of dollars for the actions of their affiliates.

CJ gave affiliate e-mail spammers more bells and whistles ...rather than crack down on them. If I were a CJ merchant, I'd high tail it outta there too.

I have dunhamsports via befree, approved me recently

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

I lost many affiliateships when CJ decided performance was king and there was too much hassle with PPC.

whether or not the merchants were getting away with something in those days, they sure bailed out in a hurry. But there may have been a few other hard to digest details in the contracts also.

wonder if ad$en$e is causing small changes in the merchant's plans?

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

"Be prepared for a mass exodus after the holidays."

Ssanf, why exactly do you think they will be leaving?

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    House cleaning is in order at CJ and the other networks. Way too much contingent liability over privacy info peddling and feeding the list broker spamming group. Also way too many middlemen, posing as merchants, hoping even the BHO parasites would pick them up for some mass exposure.

Lot's of questions are up in the air and some in the DMA Ad industry are feeling the pain of having no idea on why consumers expect real value at the end of a click...

Maybe the networks are analyizing why Verisign dumped Networksolutions, after their quick trip to the Ad Whore darkside, for 100 Million when buying them for 20 Billion a few years ago. Ouch! CJ was a steal for the peanuts VC paid but a major move by Microsoft to un-plug the plug-ins might undo the value of all these networks adopting loyality and incent based shopping as their major force to revenues.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Yes ecom, I agree. Could this all be also the reason for the spider activities from cj.com the last weeks?

carneol

When merchants are deactivated, do commissions owed to affiliates disappear as well. One of the merchants listed in this thread owes me $420.

AVP

quote:
    Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    but a major move by Microsoft to un-plug the plug-ins
    Now, that would be something - not holding breath but it'd be nice

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast