ABW Ambassador
    This was being discussed in another forum and was to be started here after the other thread was locked. I see it hasn't been started yet, so here goes... I also found something I wanted to add to the discussion:

http://www.google-watch.org/gaming.html

Die Parasites Die!!

I found something that I thought I'd throw into the discussion as well

You just gotta love the usual suspects in "ethical" affiliate marketing:

http://www.blogstoriches.com/

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

I posted in the other thread about an AM not caring about guestbook spamming - his picture is there. Explains a lot, I guess.

I fail to see the connection here. Anyone want to make a legitimate point, or shall we just continue to defame people for the fun of it?

ABW Ambassador
    Jim Kukral,
    Your name is familiar...

ABW Ambassador
    ABW search
    ABW moderator - Affiliatemakeover.com

Haiko if you feel it's not ethical, why is he a mod?

Hmmm.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

"Haiko if you feel it's not ethical, why is he a mod?"

That's a good question Trust. Haiko, how about an explanation, or is it ok to throw illogical and defamatory comments and suggestions out there without provocation or reason?

By the way, I reregistered today as myself. AffiliateMakeover.com has been my default persona representing my full-time employer only because I never changed it after I got the job. My current employer has no connection to my personal business...ie...my personal website and writing I have done. I do have a life outside of the office you know.

Someone, especially you Haiko, needs to make a claim here that something was done wrong and back it up with a detailed explanation. Instead of walking into a room and alluding to something recklessly as you did. Which as we all know implies guilt.

I'm tired of having my credibility dragged through the virtual mud. I've done nothing wrong or improper. I didn't even know the term Blog Spamming until this thread, lol.

Action Jackson - King of the World

ABW Ambassador
    "A blog is basically a journal that is available on the web. The activity of updating a blog is "blogging" and someone who keeps a blog is a "blogger." Blogs are typically updated daily using software that allows people with little or no technical background to update and maintain the blog. Postings on a blog are almost always arranged in cronological order with the most recent additions featured most prominantly."

via Google

The term people know better is Google Bombing which bloggers successfully did/do once making MSN and AOL page 1 for hell. Google Bombing being lots of the same incoming link text for the purpose of making a word/phrase show up near the top of the SERPS.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jackson992:
    What does Blog mean?

Jack Mitchell
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hi Jack - a blog is kinda like an online journal. You can talk about whatever you like for the world to read.

There are several places that have "blog" setups - you just register one for yourself and post away...

Ebudae

If you understand, things are just as they are...
    if you do not understand, things are just as they are.

ABW Ambassador
    To recap the previous thread:

- Someone complained that the high Google ranking of an affiliate was a result of his spamming blogs.
    - I (and others) agreed and argued that blog (or guestbook in my case) spamming was as bad as email spamming. Visitors invited to leave comments on a subject are not granted the right to use the forum for unrelated, self-promoting purposes.
    - Ohers argued that if you invite public comment then anything that is posted there is a fair use of the forum and if you don't somehow prevent these messages from appearing or remove it immediately, then it isn't Spam and if Google picks it up, then it is simply a marketing tool.
    - I then argued for Capital Punishment for AM's that reward this behavior. (Only kidding.) I did leave it that I wouldn't knowingly sign up with a merchant that condones this type of scummy practice any more than I would with one who condones email spam. We are known by the company we keep.

Buddha, I said I would post this question as a poll, but lets see where this thread goes.

Wayne

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    oh THE WONDERFUL world of the info-peddlers now has expanded into "How-to-spam with Blogs" eBooks. Jim does your eBook give insider tips on how to use Adsense -popups and unders and gather in co-reg e-mail addresses. Do you have a follwup in clue with tips to keep blog readers from finding out your blog didn't do a drive-by install of Gator -WhenU or ShopatHome BHO's.

Your into a ripe community here just stuffed full of sleezy affiliate lurkers seeking new spam methods impressed with your paid endorsements from the likes of ClubMom's Shawn. Clickz is just a front for the DMA/IAB with the only real important unbiased articles focusing on how to increase a merchant's sites conversion ratio. The rest is just pimping and pumping the Ad Whores of the online advertising industry. A typical meaty article would be the PR spin praising Dean's Iowa outbursts as effective advertising techniques due to all the free media exposure.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Jim,

How am I dragging your credibility through the virtual mud?

Your offering an eBook on how to put affiliate links within a blog and probably how to get high rankings via keywords. It's entirely relevant to the topic of Blog Spamming. "Usual suspects in ethical marketing" - was more of a shot at Shawn than you.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

EcomCity: My book is a straight forward 'how to' about using weblogs to earn money. I does not include ANY information about search engine rankings, or email marketing, or BHO's, Gator, or anything even remotly close to that. I suggest you take your accusatory tripe and direct it someone else. I will not stand for being lumped in with your affiliate axis of evil.

Perhaps you should read the book first...then decide that it and my intentions are wrong-doing? Or is it just ok to summarize and make assumptions? Please apologize, you are wrong to accuse me of such things. I have earned the respect of the community, and will not allow anyone to make assumptions and pass comments about me that are untrue or defamatory.

Haiko: You have read the book? No, you haven't. I am not "probably offering how to get high rankings". In fact, as mentioned above, the book does not talk about search engines at all. Not once. I "probably" do it? How is that a credible statement? It's 100% wrong.

Your alleged and vague comment above while referencing my link allows a presumtion to be made that I am unethical, that's why I am a bit caught of guard and dissapointed. Perhaps you should have clarified your comment before posting it. Please admit you posted in haste.

By the way, thanks for the free link and publicity for the book to expert Affiliate markets on this board. Sign up for the Affiliate program!

Jim do you run and operate a successful high traffic Blog yourself? If you do, then post the domain as this is a very effective application for communicating viewpoints on the web. If not then how can you ethically pass yourself off as an expert and fee worthy advisor/publisher for the Blogger wannabees. Locating Blog services, scripts and the instructions for setup are hardly rocket science subjects worthy of a eBook, except by the quick buck info peddlers. Before I clicked on the link I just knew the typical info peddlers infomercial web site would greet me like they all have since 1998.

Amazing that after all that's transpired at ABW since inception an ecommerce internet guru like you just discovered us. What we have covered and un-covered here would certainly be furtile ground for any editor at Clickz unless they just write PR releases for their advertisers and sponsors.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    "Usual suspects in ethical marketing" - was more of a shot at Shawn than you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haiko -

Please explain your slanderous "shot" at me.

Just trying to fill your quota of 3 ad hominem attacks against me per month?

<font size="2" color="#0000ff" face="verdana">Shawn Collins</font>
    <font size="1" color="#000000" face="verdana">www.ShawnCollinsConsulting.com - scollins@affiliatemanager.net - 908-522-0056
    outsourced affiliate program management</font>

"Amazing that after all that's transpired at ABW since inception an ecommerce internet guru like you just discovered us."

Mike, again with the assumptions. I don't think you even read this whole thread. If you did, you'd know that my ABW presence has been AffiliateMakeover.com, and I'm not sure, but I've probably been on ABW almost as long as you have. Maybe even longer, not sure.

It's nice to have opinions about what makes a good ebook Mike. You don't know everything, face it. I've written professionally for years in the field Mike. My reputation is solid. Please apologize and admit you were wrong to accuse me.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    I found something that I thought I'd throw into the discussion as well

You just gotta love the _usual suspects_ in "ethical" affiliate marketing:

http://www.blogstoriches.com/

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko_

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli_</font></p><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Haiko I can't tell what that ebook is about. The site is vague and even the book's Preface PDF doesn't help. Anyone read this ebook? How about a breif reveiw? I'm not dropping 50 bucks on a book I can't even curl up on the couch with!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne
    Buddha, I said I would post this question as a poll, but lets see where this thread goes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep this could be better.

------------------------------
    "If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

So sorry Jim as I'm familiar with Affiliatemakeover and Kowabunga just not your new ABW user name and real name. Your Not a newbee here and certainly know this is a tough crowd of folks seeking ways to leap frog each other in the SERPS. Certainly no harm is done to publish any eBook on any subject..Blogs included...by an experienced author.

Your site and the promo for the expensive eBook "Blogging to Riches$$" was touting "insider" information on how to monitize your Blog. Tidbits on 50 top Affiliate programs, Learn how to create cash with your weblog by using The CashBlogging Method's easy steps...plus many more tips, tricks & strategies!

Ethics would dictate your eBook would cover more then fluff on affiliate marketing. Yet you say the content doesn't even touch the areas vital to successful affiliate marketing.....traffic schemes!

"It does not include ANY information about search engine rankings, or email marketing, or BHO's, Gator, or anything even remotely close to that."

Let's assume your up to date on the pitfalls of affiliate marketing. Between the SE's all trying to purge their SERPs from traffic hijacking cookie setters & SE spammers, Popup Ad blockers and link blocking firewalls like Norton's, CAN-SPAM act, BHO's, the window for commissions has shrunk to a tiny mailbox sized slot. Yet you say your eBook doesn't touch these subjects or offer workarounds.

From all discussions here on Web Logs/Blogs the sole purpose is to manipulate Pagerank by spamming the Blogs or setting them up to be a new foundation for SE spam. Affiliate gorrilla marketers, thru contextual advertising BHO's, would eat through Bloggers content & commission capability like an ice cream sundae. E-mail scrapers will harvest those e-mail addresses and plant web bugs to get the high traffic Blog viewers IP# & browser default e-mail addresses.

So for 50 bucks your going to tell them what? How to run a newsletter, scrape info for selling to Clickz sponsors, post Doubleclick or 3rd world CPM banners, run Adsense, buy keyword advertising to do blind re-directs, take paypal or Amazon donations, or make their own eBook and setup a KB or pay per click/action program. Best you put a link in there to ABW to justify the costs. Sorry I assumed your eBook for the thousands of Blogger sites covering thousands of subjects ahd the key ingrediant...

How to manipulate or spam Google using Blog link tools while Blogs are the hottest new "tricks for clicks" toolset should have been covered. Clickz's affinity to gorrilla advertising methods and lauding contextual advertising, Opt-Out e-mailing campaigns by DMA/IAB members for years has tainted my objectivity. But you do have a new free promotional link for future articles to offer the Free lifetime updates to your eBook customers.

Mike & Charlie ...

I accept your apology Ecomcity/Mike, and Charlie too.

My book isn't written for the ABW crowd. It's written for Bloggers. Bloggers aren't performance marketers typically. I'm fulfilling a niche I've found. You are not the target... as you know the business. Remember, I didn't market this book here, Haiko put the link up. You are not my target market.

Now, imagine you don't know the business, you have a blog, and you need to learn...you get my guide. The niche is filled. By the way, the book is more than just Affiliate Marketing techniques. So much more.

The true bloggers, non affiliate marketers, that I have let read my book before release have proved my value proposition by telling me that "they never knew this could be done", or "I learned how it all works and got started in one day."

The most my book talks about 'traffic schemes' is one line that says "This book isn't going to teach you how to get traffic to your blog, AT ALL. If you want that type of book, look on Amazon.com."

Mike, I understand your frustration, but you are barking up the wrong tree here. Even you have to admit that you can make money in Affiliate marketing without spamming, or pop-ups or link hijacking, etc... None of that stuff is mentioned by me.

Thousands of merchants and affiliates do legitimate & ethical affiliate marketing every single day. Your attitude that the ENTIRE community is a scam artist and gaggle of thieves only brings all of us down in this industry that has so many positive things going for it. But, you're entitled to your negative opinion and cynical view. There are some bad nuts out there, but not every one of them.

I'm one of the good guys Mike, preaching a good clean message of sincere value that will help people make some extra cash. I'm even offering a money back guarantee.

You don't like the price, or the concept, or the book cover...don't buy the book. But you certainly shouldn't attack someone's credibility and reputation based upon your assumptions and your ignorance to the actual content of the book. That act alone is the opposite of building credibility and integrity.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Thx to the ones who tried to explain what blogging is. To me it doesn indeed sound like spam. It would be much different if the postings were a common category. Don't worry, they won't be around for long

Jack Mitchell
    http://kattskozykorner.com
    http://clothing-to-go.com
    http://sports-to-go.com

Peace Jim. I sure hope the newbee Bloggers flock to your guide book and follow your advice. Being a realist I should have grasped the fact an eBook on all they tricks for clicks and sleezy affiliate practices won't be written till one of the perps writes one from behind bars somewhere. I'll just be content to watch the consumers tar and feather the Gorrilla marketers for the horrible waste of their time on abusive advertising technics lauded by the online Ad agencies.

Fact of life is that at any given moment 95% of the people on this earth could give a rats ass about your brand, buying your products, advertising, store front or the in your face pitchmen. The Ad industry and it's mouth pieces abuse the internet audience seeking ways to super glue their lame Ads to the inside of your CRT. Some day explain where incentive marketing can justify the bankrupting thousands of businesses just to make the Ad industries job easier. Start with the Ad Whores who shoved 43 Billion dollars worth of incentive costs upon the Detroit auto industry making all of them lose money last year.

Mike & Charlie ...

It looks like google figured out how to filter out blog backlinks in the latest update. It seems to still be boosting rank but webmasters can't view blogs in the backlinks of a site anymore. Go check it out...

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread