Just Lurking
    Well the SE shake up is well underway. Inktomi has really added a twist to SEO IMHO. Google and Inktomi seem to be to really different entities when it come to SEO. I've gotten the impression that Inktomi seems to put a lot more wieght on plain old text than Google does. Or than Google did -- Google seem to be under going constant changing recently. So what are your observations about the shake up?

------------------------------
    "If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

ABW Ambassador
    What shakeup?

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    Overall, I am quite happy with google.
    However, it is always good to have competition in any field.
    For now when yahoo switches away from google, there will be diversification already and when msn gets into the game then we will really see things shake up.
    The best thing to do is have websites created with the customers in mind. And have well diversified websites.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1¬ģ:
    What shakeup?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The one created by Google not being the source of all serps anymore. I'm I too early with this topic?

"If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

ABW Ambassador
    I think next month when Yahoo finally switches over there'll be a shakeup. You'll see lots of "OMG what happened to the traffic" posts. Most of my traffic has come via Google but the last few months my traffic has shifted nicely with lots more INK/MSN traffic. But there are some affiilate who've done better with MSN than Google, so they'll see a nice jump next month. Should be interesting.

I work in lounge pants

Google/Scroogle story in USA Today

Just Lurking
    I'm seeing a differences already. I think it being caused by people targeting the different SE's before the coming changes take effect. (Which makes sense!) But I totally agree with you about "OMG what happen to my traffic" posts next month. I'm seeing movement in my serps now and next month should be very interesting.

I did my "OMG what happened to my traffic?" post already.. last few days it seems to have returned but my previous successful 2 word phrase is still no where to be seen.

I seem to be getting a LOT of specific 4-5 word search phrases in my logs now. If the 2 word phrase returned it would literally double my traffic :P

ABW Ambassador
    Theres that old saying that smart people learn from their own mistakes and wise people learn from other mistakes. I remember when i first started and first started reading this board one of the more respected members and one of the members making some nice money take a hit big enough to send them to Ebay selling. They put all theie eggs in one basket (one search engine) and payed the price. Knowing that Yahoo was switching to INK and that i was a little weak on the INK side, i've made the necessary changes and now my traffic is much more balanced and now i'm actually looking forward to the switch. Also looking forward to MSN search whenever they get that together, just more baskets to put my eggs in

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> looking forward to MSN search whenever they get that together, just more baskets to put my eggs in <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Absolutely right! Reliance on one search engine only is fine until it works, but a sound business can never hope to last long and prosperous without diversification and various sources of client inflows.

Not so much reliance on one search engine but the fact that google has much more aggressive bots it seems.

Inktomi has hit my site a total of about 12 times since last October and not until January did it grab any other file than robots.txt.

I can't afford pay for inclusion yet, I was hoping to this month but got a nice large natural gas bill due to the REALLY cold weather during January.

Alltheweb has finally been hitting my sites pretty good lately.

Overall traffic seems to be rising back to around pre-austin levels despite my previous popular two word phrase not seeing any action.

Checking my logs google still has a commanding lead of 73.5%, Yahoo with 10.6%, etc, etc

I think the REAL shakeup will be in 2005 when Microsoft release their search engine that is integrated into the operating system itself. I can see both Yahoo and Google going to court over this already

Erik

==============================
    Tired of a handful of people having TOTAL power over human-edited directories? Been turned down as an ODP editor? Think that WE can build a BETTER volunteer-based, human-edited search directory? SO DO WE. Help www.BuildtheHive.com create the only truly FAIR human edited directory!

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    geez you live in winnipeg, didn't think anyone here went without a budget plan for the gas

Much like the article said
    some pages went up some down, but for most part traffic is up some

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

only really bad when it's constantly in the -30's like last February and this January...the furnace just kept turning on like every 10-15 min.

traffic is definitely on the rise again, I hope this trend continues.. the last week or two of January was bad but as soon as Feb 2nd hit things went back to normal sort of.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread