Okay, I have been spending the morning checking to see if my efforts to get backlinks have been rewarded.

I found that by going to the google dance tool I get 13 backlinks.

If I type in link: mysite.com I get 9 backlinks.

Should I go to the sites that I know have my links on them and do a google search with the name of my site (as listed on links page) then I show that google has seen it and indexed it and has it available but it doesn't show up on the dance tool nor when I type in link: mysite.com.

You may say that google hasn't added it to backlinks yet, but. There are sites out there that have my site as a backlink, it has shown as a backlink before but now doesn't. Verifying it still exists shows it is there and the link is correct.

My question is this: How do I find all my backlinks in Google? Is there a special code to type in or is it just one of the mysteries of cyberspace?

Thanks
    Steve

"Bueller...? Bueller...?"

If you want accurate results, try http://www.alltheweb.com/

Enter your site as www.site.com on the search box, click "Search", then click on "all external web pages that link"

I believe some sites don't have high enough PR to show in the Google backlink search. They still count towards total backlinks, but they won't show up when you do a link: query.

Of course, that may not apply any longer since Google seems to be rewriting the book so frequently these days.

Andy

My understanding is that google will not show backlinks whose page rank is less than 4.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My understanding is that google will not show backlinks whose page rank is less than 4 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually, it is less than 3.
    So links from PR1 and PR2 do not count, but from PR3 and above do count... The value of links also increase if they are from different IP blocks. In other words, if you have 700 links from your own websites on the same server, you still get the PR value, but the importance of those links are quite diminished and in fact, your ranking on keywords may drop hard....
    There are more variables also, google is getting more unpredictable, as it should be, to counteract the many spammers raising their heads....
    The best thing you can do is to build your website for the viewers, not for the search engines and eventually THAT will pay off.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Irma:
    Actually, it is less than 3.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I though it wouldn't show any page ranks less than your own?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Irma:
    The best thing you can do is to build your website for the viewers, not for the search engines and eventually THAT will pay off.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Exactly.

------------------------------
    "If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Actually, it is less than 3.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually it's less than 4, although my understanding is that occasionally links from PR3 sites are thrown into the results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So links from PR1 and PR2 do not count, but from PR3 and above do count...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Links that don't show up in your backlinks DO count towards your total pagerank. Just because Google doesnt show them doesnt mean they don't count as votes for your site.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Originally posted by Irma:
    The best thing you can do is to build your website for the viewers, not for the search engines and eventually THAT will pay off.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Absolutely correct as all else is smoke and mirrors and of no lasting value.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread