Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I know there is a good thread or two on using inktomi without loosing your shirt. I have spent plenty of time searching for it without success.

Will someone kindly show me where it is?

TIA

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I have two new paid inclusions that say they have been refreshed, yet when I went to look by typing in the domain name they don't show up. What gives?

Also, what is the difference between MSN and Inktomi?

Jack Mitchell

I thikn I'll give inktomi another month or two and see if it actually visits sites without requiring payment.

can someone who uses the pay for inclusion enlighten me about how it works? from what I understand you specify a single page on your site and it will visit it every 2 days for a year?

does it branch out and spider the rest of the site as well or just that page? can you tell it to spider another page after maybe a week of one page depending on what your selling focus is for that week? if so will they charge you to switch the spider destination page?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>can someone who uses the pay for inclusion enlighten me about how it works? from what I understand you specify a single page on your site and it will visit it every 2 days for a year?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That sounds about right. After it spiders the page you paid for if you don't like the ranking you can make changes and try for a higher listing. Good listing and no sales just switch it to another page that is under the same domain name. There is no extra charge to do this. It is not going to help you with getting the rest of the site spidered.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It is not going to help you with getting the rest of the site spidered. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. The spider will 'eventually' come around, but it sort of seems to me that it'll only spider-for-free if it thinks your site is of some 'importance'. We have some sites that will see visits only to the robots.txt file, and others where the spider methodically goes from top to bottom then starts all over again.

We dropped the pfi, btw. Didn't notice much difference.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    Never paid for inclusion but Inktomi comes around nearly every day and hits a good number of pages. 162 today. Not sure why they would think these pages particularly important.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jane:
    That sounds about right. After it spiders the page you paid for if you don't like the ranking you can make changes and try for a higher listing. Good listing and no sales just switch it to another page that is under the same domain name. There is no extra charge to do this. It is not going to help you with getting the rest of the site spidered.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you switch page is the first page you had designated then dropped from the index?

Action Jackson - King of the World

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Never paid for inclusion but Inktomi comes around nearly every day and hits a good number of pages. 162 today. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but do you actually get traffic from MSN?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Yes, but do you actually get traffic from MSN?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    MSN? Perhaps 2 percent? But I do get lots of traffic from Yahoo. Didn't know MSN used Inktomi, but when Yahoo begins using Inktomi results, I'll be glad they've been all over my sites.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> when Yahoo begins using Inktomi results, I'll be glad they've been all over my sites <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I get a lot of traffic from yahoo right now so I would like to understand this?

I am assuming that if you are getting a lot of traffic from MSN then you will get a lot of traffic from yahoo AFTER yahoo switches to Ink results. Not the other way around.

The way I see it, your MSN traffic will turn into yahoo traffic (at 2%) and MSN will go away or continue the same, until they get their own search going.

Does that make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure where MSN fits into your equation. Traffic comes from the site, not the spider. I don't know what search results MSN currently uses as I never look at their site. I assume from your post they use Inktomi. Is Yahoo going to stop MSN from using these results?

Of course traffic is dependent on the quality of the spidering. But if we assume for the moment that Inktomi spiders efficiently and the same results are used by both Yahoo and MSN, I don't expect that there wil be any big change in the traffic generated by either. People use the portals for a variety of reasons, quality of the results being only one of them. I expect the same small percentage to come from MSN as now and no big change in traffic from Yahoo.

While there might be some that stop using Yahoo because they love Google exclusively, a big drop in Yahoo-generated traffic would occur only if people can't find what they need to find using Yahoo. I hope this doesn't occur. Not because I have great affection for Yahoo or Inktomi, but because I see value in a broad base of traffic sources. It's to all our benefit for Yahoo to maintain strong search results.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.searchengineblog.com/colu...or_inktomi.htm

Good article for optimizing for INK.

A page i paid to have included Thursday nite is already in, only 30 hours, getting some great traffic

Looksmart should be dropped from the MSN search results on Jan 15-16 which is great news too. Some will see a nice jump in traffic.

Yahoo can switch at any time, most likely INK, and they might throw in some Altavista and AllTheWeb in the mix somewhere. Who knows, have to wait and see, should be interesting.

Have Inktomi changed the rules about editing URLs? I used to be able to change the URLs at will as long as they were on the same domain, but now they seem to be locked (I use the Ineedhits Inktomi service). Anyone else seen this?

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

ABW Ambassador
    I'm using Marketleap and there is an edit url function, it looks like you can do it with them. Damn, i never knew you could do that. Usually the ones i submit are doing great. So if you submit a page that's not doing so good, you can just change it to another page and give it a try?

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo ,
    You now have only 30 days from the time of submitting each URL to edit them with Ineedhits . In December, I edited a few URLS and they immediatly showed as "included", but that was obvioulsy not the case .Instead, the URLS that I changed from were out of Ink , and the new edited ones were not even being processed - just showing as "included" .

After a phone call to ineedhits the next day, someone had to manually add the new edited URLS . I don't particularly like/trust the ineedhits Inktomi service.

I guess that leads to another question

what is the best place to pay for inktomi submission? any of them cheaper than the rest?

I'll give the bot some more time before I really consider paid inclusion(read: I can't really afford it yet)... although I wonder if the dip in my traffic is due to yahoo switching or the crappy google serps.. probably both.

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.marketleap.com is the best

I've used ineedhits before but not any more.

I think they're all $39 for first url and $25 for each one after.

I work in lounge pants

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm leary of any and all SE listing submittal middlemen. The SE's partner with these guys on a split fee or commission basis. Then then automatically get put into my e-mail and privacy info peddling red flag folder. Going thru Ineedhits and tracing who ends up spamming you with the submittal e-mail address would be a nice exercise.

I prefer my clients go directly through the major SE's and leave the 3rd party players alone.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I don't think inktomi has a page for paid inclusion and you have to go through the partner sites.

i have had no problems with http://insite.lycos.com submission and they have deals if you want to be included in Inktomi and Fast. But the same price as marketleap and the ability to change the url/page anytime you want.

cant beat that. it paid for itself quite fast when i purchased it in march. quality clicks also! no spam emails either

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    Have Inktomi changed the rules about editing URLs? I used to be able to change the URLs at will as long as they were on the same domain, but now they seem to be locked (I use the Ineedhits Inktomi service). Anyone else seen this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ineedhits' URL change is broken. My mother had to call to get her URLs changed (also had to explain that it wasn't the main URL she wanted changed, just the particular page).

The 30-day limit is for changing the main domain that's listed, not for changing which particular page on a single domain is in. For instance, you can change YourDomain.com/sales-page.html into YourDomain.com/better-sales-page.html at any time. But you can only change YourDomain.com to YourOtherDomain.com for 30 days.

To change anything, though, now requires calling them. When asked when this would be fixed, the answer was that the tech department would "eventually" get around to it. Reading between the lines I would say that means, "don't hold your breath."

I used to like Ineedhits but due to this, and also how their submission speed has slowed to molasses, I won't be renewing my URLs there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I prefer my clients go directly through the major SE's and leave the 3rd party players alone.~Mike
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, the only way to do paid inclusion at Inktomi is through 3rd parties. They don't deal direct, at least not for "Search Submit."

As for spam, I've seen no evidence that they contributed to the spam load.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

None of Ineedhits email addresses work, nor does their support form in the Inktomi section. Last time I tried the UK contact number it didn't work either.

Eventually found a contact form that worked, just got an autoresponder though. No news yet.

I did threaten to complain to Inktomi about their service though.

________

On the optimisation, I've found that pages that rank well in Google also tend to rank well in Inktomi, so you can get a feeling for the kind of results you'll get from that.

________

I use Position Technologies for Inktomi, Fast and Jeeves listings. I recentlychanged urls both for pages and different site (30 day limit) with no problems.

'I am not young enough to know everything.'
    - Oscar Wilde

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast