ABW Ambassador
    google seems to have taken a shot at data feed sites on feb 18th(ish). Anyone else notice this? I have heard a few reports.

Go ahead and throw in your content speech here:

You've got to be kidding!

I just started using data feed sites this month.

To me this would compare to the time I spent $300.00 on getting listed in Yahoo, and was accepted.....the week of the infamous switch.

And now this!?!?!?!

I've felt many times in my life that if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

However, I've begun to feel very positive when it comes to Affiliate Marketing. And a few of my data feed pages are already stating to show up in Google.

So I hope the reports you've heard are wrong, my friend

How do they identify a data feed site?

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> google seems to have taken a shot at data feed sites on feb 18th(ish). Anyone else notice this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me. I don't generally check for individual listings, but my sales stats aren't suffering. I figure if there was a drop in traffic, it would be reflected right in the reports.

Of course, I can't go over to CJ today and check those sales, but other reports don't show any drop.

If any feed sites got shot down, it's probably something wrong with their SEO, not the fact that they're feed sites.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

I've seen them go through a couple of my datafeed sites, but they don't drill all the way down. It seems it looks through the categories, but not the individual products. I just finished converting one of my datafeed sites over from one using dynamic URLs to nice "static" URLs. Google hit the top level today but didn't get any farther. I assume it'll be back.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    Even as we speak, Google is working it's way through one of my datafeed sites.....about 1000 pages total and it's about halfway through.

ABW Ambassador
    Leader - I hope your right.

SSanf - I'm sure they have their PHD's on it right now. Seriously there could be a few ways, but I don't think they are full proof.

I haven’t done anything spamy, I checked my links and there was one site that had "photography" that was semi nude and blurred. Maybe that did it?

Maybe my site was having trouble when google came around? Not likely as google will come back to check again. It has been spidered fine many times in the past. I rank well for some stuff and other stuff seems to have disappeared completely. hmmmm

If anyone has any ideas please give me a shout.

wyvern - 1000 pages is good, but try over 4K and then google has a job to do even if they are static.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    When the merchants own datafeed sites get whacked from the SERPs, as Froogle & Others go to the pay for feed model, you'll hear a chorus of screamers.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

ABW Ambassador
    Doesn't sound too convincing, Squiggie. Ranking well for some stuff and not so well for others is inevitable on a large site, but if you aren't getting Google to your individual product pages, then you need to reorganize the navigation structure of your site.

Your one site with semi-nude/blurred photographs - this shouldn't have anything to do with anything providing these are images. However, the default at Google.com is 'moderate safe search', so check your text/alt tags and make sure that they aren't tripping that filter.

Ssanf wrote:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How do they identify a data feed site?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, common sense. Thanks, Ssanf. The answer is, of course, they can't and don't really want to. Most ecommerce sites are 'data feed' by the most accurate definition. What they can and do implement is duplicate page filtering. Usually this is just applied on-site (ie: only one of http://mydomain.com/index.html and www.mydomain.com/index.html appears in the index), but it would make sense if they filtered more broadly.

At this point, I feel I should go on about unique content and all that stuff. So here goes.......unique content, yada,yada,yada...the end.

Search Engine Marketing and Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Just the opposite. My previous first page google listing for a blue widget as been replaced with my datafeed site that contains the blue widget.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks MarkyMark,

I have already adjusted the nav My thoughts exactly. Every product page is now 2 clicks from the homepage.
    But why was it fine in the past?

Alt text is ok.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How do they identify a data feed site? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Marky answered this better than I of course, but what he said is what I meant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> At this point, I feel I should go on about unique content <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always try to mix the two for optimum performance.

Thanks again markymark people like you leader and all the others here that give helpful input are why this board is great.

If anyone has more helpful ideas speak up please.

-Sid

For a while, if you left out the meta tags, they took the title and description from the first words on the site.

I think they are using meta tags more now. Also, they are taking titles out of java script placed high on the page. I am being forced to move jave script on some pages.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    google seems to have taken a shot at data feed sites on feb 18th(ish). Anyone else notice this? I have heard a few reports.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guys. Why everybody worry about datafeed sites? Google will ban datafeed sites.. Why? Same Content? LoL. Search a song lyric on google. You can see the same lyric over 80.000 pages or more... Doesnt matter.
    I luv conspiracy theories on this forum...

UtOpiA StiLL uNBorN

Google will ban same content sites. They won't ban data feed sites.

Why? Because all but the most lazy have their data feed sites set up so they are different from anyone elses data feed sites.

How? You add stuff to your feeds, sort stuff differently, combine feeds from different merchants, search and replace certain words and phrases and so forth.

Data feed sites can be as different as night and day. People who won't do even this much, to build thousands of pages in a day, don't deserve to be listed, anyway.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread