Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I do web design for other companies and one of my clients have a question that I can not find a definative answer for. Everyone's opinion seems different, so I thought I would ask the question here.

They own a handful of domain names, all related to the same business. They will have one website, but want to use their domain registars redirect & masking tools to point all the domain names to one website (the index). The domain registar is set up so that you can put in your own title, keywords and descriptions into the masking of the URL. I believe it uses a frameset to deliver the actual webpage the the domain name is pointing at.

They question is, will this hurt them in the search engines?

I have read through googles do's and don'ts and can't find a specific on this.

It wouldn't fall under duplicate content, since there is just one site. It isn't a doorway page, since it goes straight to the site. It isn't cloaking, since the description and the keywords & title are on the up and up and not misleading the viewer. The other domain names are just a domain alias.

This leads me to think it is ok. Am I correct?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    OK, here's a definitive answer.

This won't 'hurt' you in the search engines, but it isn't the best way to do it. The best option is to have all the other domains redirect at a server level to the main domain. IE: The other domains should return a 301 status code to the search engines, showing they have been permanently moved.

That way any current links to the other domain names will pass that benefit on to the main one. It will also make it impossible for people to link to any of the other domains in the future.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    All the domain names are new and hosted nowhere.

They eventually might want to build a special site for one of those other domain names, so wouldn't that make it a bad idea to use the 301?

Thanks for you answer above though, I just don't want them to get banned or something and I have never dealt with this before.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I have my company site with .co.uk and .com pointing back to the same webspace since around 1999.

Google only throws up results under the .co.uk domain name and nothing shows for the .com domain.

It would be intriguing to know whether the .co.uk choice was just 50/50 or whether it had worked out that the web space is hosted in the UK

Certainly pointint two different domain names back to the same webspace has not hurt the search engine rating in my case.

In fact I am now thinking of spliting the .com and the .co.uk site out so the .co.uk one can focus more on selling my consultancy activities and the .com one can exploit affiliate income.

Les

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They eventually might want to build a special site for one of those other domain names, so wouldn't that make it a bad idea to use the 301?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not really. At that point, they can just remove the 301 from that domain and build the site.

ABW Ambassador
    Can someone explain a domain alias? I currently have a couple variations of my domain name redirecting to my web site with GoDaddy forwarding. I have heard that this is a bad thing, because GoDaddy does not use the 301 permanent redirect (I think they use a temporary redirect), and this is causing some duplicate content issues. I am looking into having these names hosted, and was told that it would be done via a domain alias. Is this OK in terms of the search engines? I definitely do not want any duplicate content happening! Thanks so much.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread