Hi all. Tonight I just noticed that within the last 24 hours 85% of my pages are showing up with page rank of 3 or greater and my home page came in at 4.

However, if I run a popular free rank checker, I am still not even listing in the top 500 for my keyword, although I'm getting lots of traffic on niche words. I have no known links to my site.

The only thing that would explain would be massive content on a hard to write about topic (scooters) and long nights optimizing.

But, back to my question; does page rank guarantee good placement or can the two be mutually exlusive, as would appear to be my case?

Thanks,

Harvey

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> can the two be mutually exlusive, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely! A high PR means nothing if Google can't figure out where to list the page.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

At one time a decent page rank virtually guaranteed a high first page placement.

We've got a couple of sites that got a 6 on the last page rank update but they still do not appear in the top 100 for their targetted key words... the ones that are appearing in the top three seem to be automated sites or spam or... well you name it. 'Most' of them have a 3 or 4 page rank, yet I really don't see that much relevance to their pages.

It's taken a while but I've come to the conclusion that page rank doesn't mean all that much any more. Over-optimize and you're gone. Under-optimize and you're gone. Spam and automate and you're In. If you're Amazon or Epinions, you're in.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but then I'm finding less and less sense with the Google results lately.

I'd wait for a while. If there is another Big Update the page rank 'may be' taken in to consideration.

But then again, it may not.

CodeJockey.

The only think I see page rank is good for is to get your pages indexed faster. The higher the page rank, the more often Google comes by.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

ABW Ambassador
    Everything else being equal PR can be a determining factor. But to get better ranking on your "keyword" get some link text into your site with that keyword, but mix it up too.

ABW Ambassador
    I think your trouble might be that you are in one of the most competitive markets I've ever dealt with. There's some very serious SEOs in the scooters field, using some very, um, interesting tactics. So, good luck, mate.

PageRank is only ONE factor in determining the SERPs.. there are loads of other ones including on-page (i.e. keyword density, headings, page titles etc etc) and off-page (inbound links) that can have an impact.

Check out this thread.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Thanks for the link to that string. Great stuff, nicely summarized.

I am not familiar with the phrase "Automation" as it applies to SEO. What's the general technique there? Continually resubmitting can't be it, because you get penalized for that don't you? Also, when you guys refer to SEO spam, what would that be? I thought SPAM was just when you send lot's of untargetted emails out.

Thanks,

Harvey

To answer a few questions:
    1) Pagerank has very little to do with SERP's. You can actually beat out a 6PR page with a 1PR page if you optimize the page correctly. However, updates like the Florida and Austin debacles tended to be more friendly toward the higher ranked pages. They're less likely to be dropped. Use keywords in the live text link in any link you have pointing to your site from another site (if possible). Vary them, but keep the same theme.
    2) Search engine spam can come in an infinite amount of forms. Link farms, multiple sites with identical info, hidden keyword text, and on and on.
    3) If your site is new, you'll be in and out for a while. Particularly this year. Since the beginning of this year, it's been very difficult to get anywhere in Google with a new site. This is where pagerank comes in handy. If a high PR site links to yours, you'll get indexed. If you have a high PR site and put a new page up, it will show up quickly. But lately, anything new is in one week, out the next. Appears as though they're really scrutinizing new sites, or they can't decide which algo to use for "page age".

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread