I have a content site which was my highest ranked site (5). I used this site to get my affiliate sites into Google fast (usually less than a week)

Now, all of a sudden the PR is 0. At the same time a few of my aff sites are now PR 5 -up from four.

I know PR isn't as important as it used to be, but I'm curious, what happened? I think if I was penalized the bar would be gray, not white.

I have about 17 affiliate links on the homepage, which doesn't seem excessive to me. Could that be the reason for the drop?

Just Lurking
    I think we're all still trying to figure out what the hell Google is doing. I had a content site finally get PR after this last update and drop from all the SERPs where it was in the top 10. Funny it's back links went up in the SERPs. How's your SERPs? I think that matters more than PR.
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!

netsu, we have this issue 3 months ago...We were a PR6 and had a large jump in backlinks to our site, due to affiliate placing multiple links to our site on their properties. When the google "dance" happen we dropped to a PR 0. About a month and a half later we got a our page rank back and it was a PR7. This hasn't changed in at least 2 months. People in the industry that follow these things have told me that google hasn't done a deep crawl in a while or at least haven't published the result search results.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well all my main pages show PR5 like normal. Amazing the Google bar is a blank white for Overstock and ABW so maybe the PR part means nodda.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thank you all for your replies!
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I think we're all still trying to figure out what the hell Google is doing. I had a content site finally get PR after this last update and drop from all the SERPs where it was in the top 10. Funny it's back links went up in the SERPs. How's your SERPs? I think that matters more than PR. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Buddha, the SERPs have dropped somewhat. I agree
    SERPS matter more. I hope this isn't a bad sign.

netsu, we have this issue 3 months ago...We were a PR6 and had a large jump in backlinks to our site, due to affiliate placing multiple links to our site on their properties. When the google "dance" happen we dropped to a PR 0. About a month and a half later we got a our page rank back and it was a PR7. This hasn't changed in at least 2 months. People in the industry that follow these things have told me that google hasn't done a deep crawl in a while or at least haven't published the result search results. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Evan, I hope my site returns with a higher rank!
    A few of my new sites have been added in the past month, so there's some activity, but the pages seem to take longer to appear in the results.

Well all my main pages show PR5 like normal. Amazing the Google bar is a blank white for Overstock and ABW so maybe the PR part means nodda.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, Mike....then all that worry would be for nothing....oh, if we only knew...Maybe Charlie knows?

A *grey* bar means that the page is not indexed by Google, a *white* one indicates that the PR database thinks that it is a 0 for some reason.

The PR on the toolbar isn't always very accurate, and for a new site it can take some time to catch up with what the rest of Google thinks.

If you had a *penalty* PR0 they you wouldn't come up in the SERPs at all. If you're still getting traffic, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now, all of a sudden the PR is 0. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I had this happen to one of my sites in January. It was a newer site that was at PR3. It went to PR0 (white bar) and stayed there until this last Google PageRank update, when it went up to PR4. I didn't make any changes to the site during this time, mainly because I didn't have time to.

The whole PageRank thing seems to be somewhat fickle these days.

From reading a number of webmaster forums, this has been happening to a very large number of sites across a diverse market. I myself had a PR7 site drop from 1900+ backlinks to 10 (yet it retained it's PR).

The number of indexed pages dropped significantly as well, although googlebot is back eveyday grabnbing a few (but no where as active as usual).

Having said that, Yahoo/Slurp, MSN bot, Askjeeves/Teoma and a few others have been crawling my site(s) like there is no tomorrow, chewing up 1GB+ in bandwidth per day.

I would give google some time (2-3 months) before making any drastic changes to your site.

Erik

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread