ABW Ambassador
    I've got one site that is ranked number 2 on yahoo for a search with over 2 and a half million results and ranked 10 on another search for over 5 million results. I've been working on that site since November.

Now I've got some newer sites. I have another one that is number 2 on yahoo for a search term with a little over 17,000 results and decent placement for a few other searches. Other newer sites that I'm hoping to make better money off of (since I've learned a little more) aren't doing as well. Then again, they are new and I haven't gotten many incoming links.

Now, the first site I mentioned was the one I put the most time into and the most linking.

What I'm asking here is for a little insight on how long it usually takes for any of the sites that you guys make to get traffic. I'm just getting impatient and don't want to get discouraged too much. Here it is around a month or more/less that these sites have been going and I haven't linked much and I'm getting discouraged. My newer sites have anywhere from around 200,000 to 500,000 and another with over a million results for the keywords. Some terms don't show up in googles first 700 or so listings, and some do and then leave and then come back, etc. I guess I just need to relax and continue doing what I'm doing just work a little harder.

This may sound corny, but can anyone throw a little inspiration my way please?
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    Have you checked to make sure the terms you have great listings for are actually being searched for?

http://www.wordtracker.com

If you can, get a subscription to that.

http and a telephoto
    I don't check my keywords, I check my stats and then watch my placement in the keywords people are using to get to me. Then I try to tweak from there.

Mostly I find it takes up to 2 months for a new site to get any good traffic from the SE's. I would keep building, making sure the pages are clean and neat and have good meta tags and be patient. Make other pages or do some offline advertising. Go find forums related to your site's niche and start talking to people and making friends. Eventually those folks will go to your site and look around, those sig lines will get spidered, etc etc.

It all takes time.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    I have been checking the keywords with good keywords. I think I tried wordtracker but I'm not making enough to float the bill for that yet. I think I did notice that you can use limited capabilities for free though... am I correct on that?

I usually check the keywords and then search google to find how many sites pop up and check out the competition a little first.

I guess waiting a month or a few weeks shouldn't have me discouraged, especially since most of my time was on building and now I'm getting back into tweaking and linking. I've put up six sites since the end of November, and I have the seventh domain purchased. Maybe I just need to slow down and breathe and optimize and maximize these sites. I guess I had it made up in my head that doing the optimization basics, cramming in a little content, and getting a handful of links was going to make me pop right up at the top of the serps. That first site I put a lot into, and I guess I need to not relax thinking it's so easy now.

Thank for the tips... got any more?

Oh yeah, about the signatures. I would post in various forums maybe, but how long will those links show up in the serps and would they get spidered like regular links? Also would I get slammed with some advertising fee or something?

It took about 2 months before I started to get traffic on my first site.. but then the traffic stopped 3 months later

For now I'm learning more about backend stuff because managing a mall site manually with static files is more work I care to do

My UK site has gone from 0 hits a month in June 2003 to just over 16,100 a month now...it does take time...and I make sure I build at least a page a day on one of my web sites.

Never rest !! Chat to people, phone people...email people..offer stuff for free...look for free content..it all pays off eventually. I work with manually created links and products...if you choose your product carefully and get some good text you can easily out rank a lot of data driven sites, I know..because I do !

Malc
    Adverts

Bpal, WordTracker is worth its weight in gold..spend the money to buy a one day subscription, but start planning a week before you do it, getting all your ideas down on paper. Then just go nuts for the whole day working with all your ideas on WordTracker documenting what you want to work on for the next couple of months. It will definitely increase your incoming traffic by having the focused keywords and phrases, and then you'll have the cash to keep using Wordtracker all the time.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks, MisterUnz and everyone else. I might think about getting a one day subscription. I might try it out again, the demo. Maybe it'll give me a little info.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    The trick seems to have what people want that is closely related to some item they would buy. Ranking does not mean traffic, and traffic does not always mean sales - I learned that the way I learn most other things, the hard way. I get several hundred or more "gawkers" at one of my sites and they don't spend a penny. Determine who the "buyers" are and find a way to get them to your site. Bring them to your site and they will buy. Your best bet is unique valuable content related to your product - this will be immune to all the search engine folly that has gone on, is going on, and will continue to go on.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bpal:
    What I'm asking here is for a little insight on how long it usually takes for any of the sites that you guys make to get traffic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the URL's of the sites your are discussing so I can take a look and see if I can help you? Thanks!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread