The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Anyone know about this type of thing.....

My site was spidered by google months ago and everything was pretty good. Then in the middle of last month I noticed that even though the pages was still in the index, the cache of the pages started disappearing, so if you do a search for my interior pages, you would never find them. For example, we all know the most important text on a page as far as a search engine is concerned is the title. Before I found out about the site: command in
    google, the way I knew for sure one of my pages was in google was to type its title verbatim within quotes and look at all the enbtries until I found it. Now even the title of the page isn't stored anywhere in google.

Anyway, this is hard to explain so I'll show you what I mean:
    Click here

If you click here, you will see that the root page and one has been stored in google, and all the others has nothing but a url. If anyone knows what's going on here, please tell me. It's been going on for a month now, which
    means that well over 95% of my search engine traffic is just gone and I want it back :-)

Mike

ABW Ambassador
    I know nothing much about this, but I'll just throw anything out there just to get things going. Hopefully someone else will know more.

Anyway, I had a site that I put up around december or so and didn't touch it much or really bother with linking it or anything or updating it or anything. My site ended up looking like that in google. I changed it completely and now it's showing up different. Dunno, just something to get things going.
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    When I first went to your site, I thought I saw a PR of 5 and the interior pages were 3 or 4. But after a bit I noticed it was down to PR 3 and the interior pages were zero. I couldn't get the 5 to come up again, so I'm not sure if it was just my tired eyes playing tricks on me or not.

I copied in the title "Plush Stuffed Skye Terrier" into Google and on the second page I saw this:

Plushy Puppy - Stuffed dogs, plush dogs or dog puppets
    ... We have plush pillows, cell phone holders, backpacks and much more. ... Inu Stuffed Shih
    Tzu Stuffed Siberian Husky Silky Terrier Stuffed Skye Terrier Soft Coated ...

I checked several others and they also showed up with a similiar description. It's going to your home page, not your interior page.
    Your site is still in Google...perhaps your interior page rankings have fallen to account for the lack of traffic.

One thing I noticed is that you have no description or keywords in your metatags. While many se's no longer place great emphasis on them, some do and the few minutes to add them in will pay dividends down the road.

You could also add in alt tags on all your images that read something like "Plush Stuffed Newfoundland", etc.

Also, all the images on your home page aren't linked to anywhere...why not have them link to the correct inside page, so if someone sees one they like, they can just click it rather than hunting through the listings.

You might want to take a look at the link back to the home page at the bottom of your interior pages and make it ...."Plush Stuffed Dogs of Various Breeds" rather than "More....".

Good luck,

Ken

I saw a brand new site come up like that, with url only. A week or so later it was listed the normal way. Recently one of my old pages started showing like that. Found this at google:

The Google index contains two types of pages--fully indexed and partially indexed pages. Your page is currently partially indexed, which means that although we know about your site, our robots have not read all the content on your page(s) in past crawls. This does not adversely affect your PageRank or your inclusion in our index. It does mean that we don't 'know' what to call your page, so it gets listed with the URL as the title and no description.

ABW Ambassador
    Try an html checker.

Firstly thanks for all who answered.

I've been at this a long time, (6 years actually) so I wouldn't have posted is I didn't noticed something wrong that I hadn't seen in the last 6 years.

I know my root page is in the directory, it gets some traffic, but as I said I'm concerned with all the other pages. On March 1st everythign was normal, all the pages was in with proper titles and information and nice placement too. Then the information (cache) just started dropping off. Adding a keyword or description is worthless, if google doesn't cache the information, also it is pretty useless now regardless. There is really only 2 search engines now (3 whem MSN gets its own)

wyvern thanks for all you wrote, but the point is, if google doesn't list the title, any other work on the interior pages is a waste of time, google hasn't visited any of those pages since mid march.

Jane: as I said b/c my site was fulling indexed and parsed at one time, now its not, there has to be a reason, I was hoping someone would know.

jimbo: I did that, the html has no errors. Google, just decided it didn't want to store the data and doesn't come back to these interior pages. Well not the bot that is part of the storage, the bots that handle the adsense ads visit occasionally.

Thanks again,
    Mike

P.S.
    Consider this a warning, look at your pages and see that they are all cashed

Update:

I just checked, for the first time in 25 days, the googlebot/2.1 visited one of my interior pages. Except for papillon's (that's a breed of dog is no one knows) none of my interior pages have been reached, but I'm going to take this as a sign that things will return to normal. If they don't you can find me complaining in LV on May 1st.

Mike
    Plushy Puppy
    Dog breed gifts

My page with the missing description and title is back today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ojmoo:
    Anyone know about this type of thing.....

My site was spidered by google months ago and everything was pretty good. Then in the middle of last month I noticed that even though the pages was still in the index, the cache of the pages started disappearing, so if you do a search for my interior pages, you would never find them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When Google did their last Page Rank update, those with a page rank less than 4, were no longer considered backlinks to other sites. I see your site has no backlinks and your index page is PR3. Go out and get some link exchanges with relevant partners and you should see your results return within 1-2 weeks.

also, any page called link.html, links.html, etc are no longer considered relevant to Google. They have dropped all backlinks on link pages. These are called link farms, which are now considered spamming. So...rename it to something like resources.html and try not to make it look like a link farm.

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>also, any page called link.html, links.html, etc are no longer considered relevant to Google. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Where did you find this info at?

I have noticed it in the backlinks. use link:www.yoursite.com for those sites who used to be listed as a backlink. you will see that a majority are no longer there. and those that are still there will soon be removed once the Googlebot comes back.

Thank the google gods!!! All my k9calendars sites are back all 166 of them. It was like a farmer in the south during a drought. You get a sprinkle here, and a sprinkle there to survive. But the rains are now here :-) I swear I was sitter there, thinking, my god how can I survive with 85-90% of my sites unreachable by search engine people. But now, I'm singing in the rain, wellMooing in the rain. It's such a relief I can't tell you

Mike

Wonderful! Always nice to get that SE traffic back.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread