Looking for some direction here.
    Please comment on the tools you use to optomize your site (software or by your skills).

I'm not sure if I should invest in an application, use some online tools, or just use my skills (which I aint got!)

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Please comment on the tools you use to optomize your site <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Good ol' notepad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(which I aint got!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> No one was born with them. You need to practice and see what works, visit forums, etc... it does take time.

ABW Ambassador
    Try stuff out and see what happens. It is easier to guage the effectiveness of techniques nowadays (with the more frequent updates).

Your best tool is the forums. Read, try to figure out what people mean, then try the stuff out.

ABW Ambassador
    Adsense

Didn't like the ads showing for a few pages, rearranged some things, changed up the keyword density and a few other things until i got what i wanted. Could be used as a tool for some starting out.

Wouldn't use any tools or software, best to learn on your own.

I use wordpad to code pages. Also use Wordtracker and check out the forums. You'll find all sorts of useful info, but learn to find what works best for you and for your type of site. Try different SEO techniques. If something works, keep doing it. If it doesn't work, forget it and move on.
    ~Ernie

ABW Ambassador
    One tool I would like are notes or a tape recording of that super-secret invitation-only SEO conference.

I SEO by the seat of my pants, the same way I fly planes.

If you end up on a runway, it's luck.

I rely on luck.

Anyone want to fly in my Stearman?

Poopie.

I'm an aircraft engineer and fix planes WITH the seat of my pants.....anyone want to fly anymore ?

Malc

P.S on a more serious note...I do SEO the hard way too.......trial and error...plenty of text...plenty of Bold text, plenty of text with H1, H2 etc tags...decent page titles..and a glance at wordtraker from time to time...and J-Bots META tag maker...but that's more for saving time then any advantage.
    Adverts

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by martyOgelvie:
    Looking for some direction here.
    Please comment on the tools you use to optomize your site (software or by your skills).

I'm not sure if I should invest in an application, use some online tools, or just use my skills (which I aint got!)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have collected and use the following from various locations:

Check your inbound links
    Keyword Density Analyzer
    Keyword Suggestion Tool
    Search Engine Crawler
    HTML Validator

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I use TSOHK. ( Tom's School Of Hard Knocks )
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    I use TSOHK. ( Tom's School Of Hard Knocks ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya buddy, loud and clear.

I do the following.

www.instantposition.com has a selection of free SEO tools.

First I check out my HTML code for a given page and get it as clean as possible. Zero errors if possible.

Then I run the page through the SEO doctor and look for any glaring errors or ommissions (didn't use all my keywords in the text, forgot to put a pixel shim above my nav bar, missing alt tags, that sort of thing)

Then I google my key word and look for a top 10 site similar to mine, and run their URL through the SEO doctor. It shows their keywords, their description, title and first 200 words of body text exactly as the search engine sees it, alt tags, densities, you name it, they display it. If this top 10 URL still looks like a good model for me to emulate, I print the page.

Then I run my page again and start tweeking until I get similar densities, similar titles, similar description lengths. That free SEO Doctor has about 10 different categories and provides a score in EACH of them, which I like better than some of the free ones that just lump it all together.

I'm still new enough at this to not know if I am kidding myself or not on my process. I am competing with about 30,000 other gas scooter sites, have a PR=3 and a 221,000 Alexa but only get about 40 hits per day, few of which are actually my key-word. But, I hope by at least having a process I can baseline against, I'm doing slightly better than a blind-cat trying to catch a dead-mouse.

I'm a Master Black Belt with Six Sigma as a full time job, and will soon be setting up some control charts for my site to be able to see when I make a statistical difference on my traffic, instead of a non-statistically based aberation. Once I get that figured out, I will let ya'll know (it will be Excel based) to try it out yourself.

I'm glad you asked the question. I was getting ready to ask the same question and go buy something thinking it was the panacea to more traffic.

Thanks,
    Harvey

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread