It took a while 3 months or so but I finally got to number one on Google for a certain product. But is it worth? The short answer is no. The site has been at number one for about 3 weeks and sales of this product have since dropped.

Before sales were running at about 10 per week. Now they have dropped to to between 3-5 per week. So being at number one is not all thats cracked up to be!

I have to add that is out of 300,000 search results and I thought it was a niche product!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Life at the top is hard,
    But life at the bottom is harder ....

Affiliate Manager
    Are you getting more traffic though? Could it have to do with the fact that yahoo is not using google results anymore?
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My prior experience has matched Speedy's, and that was before Yahoo dumped Google.

I think some people are just jealous of the #1 having that spot and won't buy from it. I've had better luck being slightly lower, for most things (of those items where I've had #1s to make comparisons with, anyway).

There's also all the SEO-ers that will click that #1 to see how you got there--which screws up the normal impression/click ratio since they're interested in the "mechanics" of your page instead of what you're selling on it!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

You know, I have to agree (at least in the last 60 days or so) that the #1 spot isn;t all it's cracked up to be.

I think as searchers get more "educated" about how to search, being #1 for a marquee term may not garner you as much traffic and/or conversions as getting hits to individual products for searches.

For example, we get planty of traffic from Yahoo for marquee "two word" phrases, but a specific search (i.e. "pink teddy bear belly ring") always converts 1-1.5% better (which is another good argument for our verbose descriptions).

I think as more and more merchants catch on to the fact the search engines want to squeeze every last cent out of their searches (by slowly eliminating and/or forcing commercial sites into paying for serps), less will be aiming for the all important one and two word phrases, and going instead for hundreds if not thousands of product-specific searches.

Erik

The Traffic has dropped and this led me to believe that it is not always the best to be number one as I was informed that users often pass over the number one slot and go directly for results 3 and lower.

Looking back I have even done this myself without thinking!
    Life at the top is hard,

the #3 and #4 placements work the best in my opinion
    dave

ABW Ambassador
    Being number one means you only get screwed more often. You've got to deal with ppc ads overwriting your cookies, parasites overwriting your cookies and then hope the affiliates under you aren't overwriting your cookie as well.

This industry and the practices supported by networks and most merchants is more than shameful IMO.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>hope the affiliates under you aren't overwriting your cookie as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's nothing "wrong" with that, as long as the viewer has to click a link to get the new cookie. If they're convinced by the #3 site's pitch enough to click their links, then the #3 site deserves that cookie.

Better pitches = the antidote to the competition's better SEO.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I don't see much difference when I'm no. 1 or no. 3, as long as I am on that first page, preferably near the TOP!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Better pitches = the antidote to the competition's better SEO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Auto cookie setting affiliates does not equal a better pitch.

I have always suspected that being number 1 for a product search would be bad. Most people don't click the link find the product and buy. They are either looking for the best price or more information. They are going to click more than one link in the search engine. So maybe they go through 5 or 50 before they buy. Either way, why go back to number 1?

Wow, and all this time I was striving to be numero uno... when really I should have been trying to come in 3rd or 4th ... now I know where I've been going wrong

Seriously though, if I'm listed in the top 5, my sales seem to be consistantly good - I haven't noticed a drop when I'm in the number one position, but I'll be testing this theory out if I'm ever there again..
    [left][font=Arial]"If you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra [/font][/left]

Animal Lover
    I can vouch for being number 1 being not all that crash hot...I finally got up there for a service that I provide and then watched as the number of people requesting the service dwindled...I had more success running adwords! Whilst it was more expensive, it seemed like they were more likely to convert so I would agree that being number 1 does give you a real morale boost - kind of like winning the Olympics...but it doesn't necessarily mean more conversions...more traffic maybe...but not necessarily more conversions...

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

I have to agree, being #1 isn't all it's cracked up to be. In fact, I prefer to be #4, #5, or #6 instead. I've also noticed that the #11 spot seems to work pretty well. It's almost as if people don't want to just accept what's offered to them on the first page, and scan it quickly before clicking to page 2. Then they start looking at sites. Strange...

Andy

&gt;&gt; It's almost as if people don't want to just accept what's offered to them on the first page, and scan it quickly before clicking to page 2. Then they start looking at sites. Strange...

Not really. For all the "users don't know what makes a good site" sentiment amongst webmasters / SEOs / affiliates, they DO notice the drop in SERP quality. They don't complain, they just develop blindness to certain sites etc.

The killer is what gets used as your title and snippet. Ranking #1 with an "optimised" page will often lead to it looking like an optimised page in the SERP. Therefore it gets ignored in favour of a lower ranked, but more attractive / informative title / snippet combo.

And yes, #11 is a good spot too. Some people have developed the habit of skipping to page 2 if they can't find what they want very quickly on page 1, and clicking the top link there

I am No 1 and no less then on the first page of many pages using certain keyword and phrases. Some of these have 16,000,000 listings on Yahoo. Keywords and phrases are not that important if users are not using any of those keyword or phrases. Would that be correct Leader?

I find that # 250 can be a wee bit tedious some days though..

Malc
    Adverts

i see a lot of people are talking about product specific searches. froogle allows you to compete for product searches if you have utilize the product feeds from the advertisers.

I always used to think that being either #1 or #2 was only being better than #9 or #10 i.e the bottom on a page of Google's results are almost as good as the top.

However Google and now Yahoo allow people to save preferences, so for someone have has their Google preferences set to 100 results it could be #99 or 100 could well end up giving better click throughs that #50, although obviously nowhere as good as #1 or #2.

A bit like "aaa-taxis" in yellow pages is good but "zzz-taxis" is better than "run-of-the-mill-taxis" but not as good as "aaa-taxis" for catching peoples eyes.

Les

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A bit like "aaa-taxis" in yellow pages is good but "zzz-taxis" is better than "run-of-the-mill-taxis" but not as good as "aaa-taxis" for catching peoples eyes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always steer clear of companies with names like that though...I tend to think of them as dodgy cowboys...a bit like AAA Glazing Ltd...if you have a good reputation you will eventually get good web traffic...I agree that #10 can be very good...but so can #500 if people have added you to their favourites and not been put off by a really 'iffy' name.

Malc - www.easyadverts.co.uk (dodgy ??)
    Adverts

ABW Ambassador
    Did you use tools to see how many people were looking for the term you are number one for? No point being number one for a low searched term or Number one with a LOW CONVERTING MERCHANT.

Are you certain that that page is where your sales are coming from or is it a specific product page that is more minutely categorized and targeted?

I will take number one position over any other any day of the week.

Other variables to consider regarding increased sales is your Page Rank. The higher it is, the more often Google visits your sites, the more pages you have in the index, the more often they are updated, etc. etc.

Try to get your INTERNAL pages to the magic number 4 (just a tad past four actually) and then your internal pages will be added to your backlinks and skyrocket not only the position of your high listings but also the number of them.

Also dont forget to freshen up your pages regularly. Although they get slightly less of a boost than they used to a page that is updated often will get a boost.

Sorry to harp on but I am inclined to disagreee with the thought process here.

If I am doing a search I want to find what I am looking for Fast. If the first listing fulfills what I am looking for great I will take it no questions asked.

But if it looks spammy or non corporate I will move down the list till I find what I am looking for so the appearance of the listing is just as important as the position.

Corporate Title and very clear as to what it is. Any keyword repeats and thats it move on to next.

DPG

Thanks for the tips, most appreciated,
    It was the loss of traffic that first bought it to my attention, and less sales. Last month sold 40+ and this month less than half that. (I use Wusage for the stats.) This coupled with the number one slot (Out of 550,000 results) gave me to led that being number one is not all that cracked up to be.

It is a specific item on its own page, which is linked to from the front index page. I have never taken any notice of PageRank as I dont see the relevance between PageRank and a good positioning slot, granted it increases a sites popularity, but I want people to buy off my sites, not just get surfers who follwed a reciprical link.

I know their are a few boffins on here that rate PageRank but I have only been doing Affiliate marketing for a few months, so I have not paid that much attention to it. But I will in future.

I suppose their are a lot of other factors that could be involved, but this was the more obvious one. I guess it wont be long before someone rips the page off and I lose the top slot.

Just checked and the PageRank is at 4

My view is that the buying public are fickle and don't rush to buy an item by clicking on the first result they see, I even do it, just scan the first few results but click on the ones on the lower half of the page, the thought is that I want to read the whole page of results before deciding on which one to click on. Then if I have scrolled down to the bottom of the results, then I usually can't be bothered to scroll back up and just click on one of the results displayed in front of me.

Time for a quick page otimisation.
    Life at the top is hard,

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Time for a quick page otimisation. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>OOPS! sorry my 2 cents again! Never optimize a page that is in the number one position!

Chances are your changes will knock it off its slot.

You can bolster its position by increasing incomings but only ever change it if you are absolutely certain it wont affect the rankings.

i.e. dont test new ideas on your top spots!

All the best,

DPG

Wow.. good thread!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Leader: Better pitches = the antidote to the competition's better SEO. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. Too often the #1 result is completely unattractive to the visitor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>tamborinegal: Seriously though, if I'm listed in the top 5, my sales seem to be consistantly good - I haven't noticed a drop when I'm in the number one position, but I'll be testing this theory out if I'm ever there again.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, anywhere on the first screen of the SERPs (i.e. the top 5) is a good result - these results tend to jiggle around anyway, so I think it's pointless to get too worried about being #1.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>TallTroll: The killer is what gets used as your title and snippet. Ranking #1 with an "optimised" page will often lead to it looking like an optimised page in the SERP. Therefore it gets ignored in favour of a lower ranked, but more attractive / informative title / snippet combo. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've hit the nail on the head there completely. Count me in to the TallTroll fan club.. only 100 posts but they're all darned good ones.

My personal experiences of being #1 are mixed - it certainly helps with sales if you have a good snipped AND the number one spot, but I'd soone have #3 and a good snippet rather than #1 and some SEO garbage. There are disadvantages though - people rip off your content, your images and virtually everything else you can find. I get really pissed off when I find that my copy gets stolen - sometimes even by merchants!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread