Or, maybe I should say...Yahoo shoppers like my wordtracker results for Google better than Google shoppers.

Totally optimized for Google. Yahoo traffic and sales at least 10 times that of Google as of mid of month.

Really weeeered.

Frank
    "Just the facts, Ma'am." Sgt. Joe Friday, Dragnet

Frank -

How do you know if a resulting sale came off of a Yahoo engine listing, or a google engine listing? How do you capture that data?

Dan

Just for the record,

My Yahoo traffic is well up this week...traffic figures getting back to pre Google up levels!!

Malc
    Adverts

Dan:

My keywords (and hence sales) are very tightly targeted. Every night I check the server logs for searches performed. I can correlate the clicks on ,let's say, CJ with the searches performed.

And, my sales are small in comparison to many of you others.

Frank

Are you speaking of Inktomi search results or are you speaking of Yahoo directory listings?

It is Yahoo search results. It looks somewhat like this in the Apache server logs:

get:http://mysite.com/shops/special/etc,, 200 46315 http:www.yahoo.com/search...searchstring+my+key+words

Ink only shows my index pages. No product pages in their results. Google, Yahoo, MSN, AOL, Dogpile, etc all have the detail pages listed.

Another thought...I seem to have a different breed of shopper between Yahoo and Google.

Even tho both have my detail product pages indexed, Google sends mostly techy types (computer parts and supplies, electronics, audio, video, etc)

Yahoo sends the clothing, shoes, playthings, housewares etc type.

Anyone else notice a similar situation?

Frank

I can kinda see where that could be the case Joe. When I think of Yahoo users, I think of folks that are not as "computer savvy" - the ones who bought into the marketing pitch for Yahoo search. I don't feel that google has been advertised nearly as well in the main stream media (other than the web, i.e. T.V, radio, etc.). Therefore, generally more techie types may tend to search on Google as I believe it was more word of mouth that "Google is so much better than Yahoo" in the late 90's...starting off in the more techie type circles, and then leaking out into some of hte mainstream public.

Even though Yahoo results rival Googles, I can see that it may be a slightly different demographic. Of course, as you mentioned, you don't do a high volume of sales, so we are working with a smaller sample size than what may be needed to form an accurate conclusion.

Thanks for the observation though, something to think about. Man, I wish I could micromanage my sales like you to really better see trends, what page the sale came from, where the buyer came from, etc. Seems to me I could be doing better than I am, but there really isn't a way to tell what page the sale come from, outside of CJ SID's. CJ is a very small part of my business however.

Dan

Dan, go to this thread and download one. Read up on what it does and give it a try.

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...2&m=4666064474

Ray's tool combined with the ability to read the server files will fill you with awe.

Frank

Another thought. Being that Yahoo runs Yahoo stores a lot of their web searchers are used to buying regular items on the web, not just software.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread