I entered into a relationship with MyCoupons & Direct Response as an advertiser. I attempted to promote Commission Junction advertisers using the MyCoupons interface. At first, things were going just fine -- I was spending about $2-$5 a day on my campaign.
    I had a few sizable conversions, so I boosted my cost-per-redeems up from about 20 cents to 95 cents in hopes of getting better/higher placement in the category.

On Valentine's Day weekend, all of a sudden, there was a gigantic surge in the number of "redeems" on my coupons. Let's just say that my spending went from $2-$5 a day to roughly $800 over a 4-day span.

To make matters worse, my account was set to auto-renew for $1,000. Need I mention that their advertiser agreement stipulates that deposits into your MyCoupons account are non-refundable.

I asked my account rep to investigate the matter. Over the next few weeks, I had vague conversations with her during which she would tell me, "It appears to be legitimate traffic (according to our tech team). It looks like one of our affiliates picked up on your offer and promoted it."

Later I would learn that this affiliate MAY have promoted my offer on Kanoodle & FindWhat. I said to my account rep, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I DON'T PAY YOU TO HAVE YOUR AFFILIATES DO SOMETHING THAT I COULD DO MYSELF!" Unless this hypothesis is proven false, it is my belief that this affiliate paid $0.01-$0.10 per click on FindWhat and Kanoodle and collected 50% of the ad revenue ($0.47 per redeem) every time someone clicked on their FindWhat/Kanoodle ad (charging 95 cents to MY MyCoupons account).

As of about 3 weeks ago, they offered to refund the remaining $800 or so in my account - but made no efforts to further justify or prove that the redeems were legitimate.

FURTHERMORE, they state that about 750 "redeems" (est. cost of $725) occured during that 4-day period. According to Commission Junction, for the entire MONTH of February I only had 500 clicks on that offer.

Currently, I have a chargeback pending with my credit card company regarding my initial deposit for $1,000 and the auto-renew for $1,000. I am not asking for a refund for the legitimate charges (500 clicks according to Commission Junction), but something clearly isn't right here.

If you do enter into a relationship with this company, DO SO CAUTIOUSLY. Do NOT auto-renew your account for $1,000 & keep a CLOSE EYE on your campaigns (even on the weekends).

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looks like the coupon duper traffic hijackers got to you. None of my ecommerce clients would ever in their lives offer a coupon anymore. They disable this cart abandonment nightmare feature and never look back.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> FURTHERMORE, they state that about 750 "redeems" (est. cost of $725) occured during that 4-day period. According to Commission Junction, for the entire MONTH of February I only had 500 clicks on that offer.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THAT is the only thing I find problematic. It says there may be something foul afoot with how they reckon "redeems."

But as for being charged for an affiliate's FindWhat clicks, I see nothing wrong with that at all:

If you take your car to the mechanic and he fixes a hose, a hose you could have easily fixed yourself, you are--RIGHTFULLY--charged anyway. What you "could have done" is completely irrelevant. You have HIM fix it, you pay. And the fact that the biggest part of that mechanic's bill is Labor, which is not at all correlent with the price he paid for the hose, doesn't make it any less due.

It's the same with affiliates. Affiliates promote in the most effective way they know of. Just because "you could have done it" doesn't change the fact that they deserve to be paid for what they did.

You took your program to Affiliate Garage. The "hose" (the listing at FindWhat) cost 10c. The rest is Labor.

Whether you "can" do something yourself is utterly irrelevant. Hiring things done costs money. Enough money to make it worth someone's while to take that task off your hands. Web promotion is no different from anything else you hire done in that regard.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, you muddled up your argument by complaining that an affiliate promoted your offer.

nowadays you never know who is trading clicks with whom. really hard to trust anyone.

In my defense, the MyCoupons' affiliate's terms & conditions requires pre-approval before altering the offer. MyCoupons has a good looking interface (i.e. image, offer value, etc.) - a link on a PPC search engine is simply text. I was paying for the former, rather than the latter.

Thank you all for your 2 cents...

ABW Ambassador
    ABW --

We did a test run with MyCoupons about a year and a half ago. The ROI was terrible, we lost virtually all the money we spent and recovered only a tiny portion.

I was told that our sales person would analyze the test results with us and make changes as were necessary. He stopped returning our calls soon as he had the test funds. We gave up and wrote into them a scathing letter about them losing our business and to never call or approach us again.

Then, about once a month, a random sales person from their company calls in to me asking for more money. I tell them the whole story all over again and they say they are sorry and they'll never call again...

Then another month rolls around, and whatever poor sucker sales person they hired that month calls us again!

We've had over 15 calls since we dropped doing business with them. It is EXTREMELY antagonizing...

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread