ABW Ambassador
    I caught a dropped domain name a few months back with over 100 inbound links to the homepage. I developed a small site and I had a PR 5 automatically on google. Naturally I was feeling pretty smart at this point.

Then my PR went from 5 to 0 last week and has not recovered. Google is still crawling the site, but I am getting no visitors from google. I was getting a few before the PR fell to 0. I checked to see if the inbound links where still up and they are. Anyone have any insight on this? Is there anyway to get it back in the good graces of google?

I know many don’t agree with this practice, but I thought I would give it a try. I kept the theme of the site the same as when it was alive.

Does google ban expired domains?

ABW Ambassador
    Doesn't necessarily 'ban' them, but excludes credit for previous inbound links and starts you off with a PR of 0.

It should recover in time, but unfortunately previously-owned domains tend to take longer to gain PR and ranking ground than new domains starting off from scratch.

You shouldn't get a ban JUST for it being an expired domain, BUT, you won't be credited with any pagerank benefit from the links which existed before it expired. The pagerank info comes directly from a post from an apparent google spokesperson on another forum.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Does your site show up when you run the follwing query at Google?

site:example.com

If not, your domain has been dropped from the index. They keep spidering, but it never reappears in the index.

ABW Ambassador
    site still shows up in google with the "site:example.com".

GoogleGuy has previously stated in public that expired domains have their slates wiped clean; so there's no benefit to snapping up expired domains, but on the otherhand you cant poision pill youre network by working a halfdozen "blacklist" domains into the mix

In case you didn't know, Google actually run a DNS node, so its VERY HARD to hide this sort of thing from them...

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    Does your site show up when you run the follwing query at Google?

site:example.com

If not, your domain has been dropped from the index. They keep spidering, but it never reappears in the index. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Never say "never".

You can beat the PR0 penalty through good linking with related content.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the info. I am getting traffic from yahoo and others so the experiment is not a total loss. Not something I would do continually though. I already have some good (new) inbound links to this site. It will be interesting to see if google will register them as valid inbounds.

If anyone has anything to add to this, please feel free.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread