ABW Ambassador
    Just wondering. I don't currently buy stock or play the market so i'm not all qualified to say whether it's a good pick. But i think they missed their time, maybe they should have done it when Yahoo and AOL started using Google for its main results.

Now why would you buy it?
    Yahoo dropping them in a couple of months.
    MSN coming up with their own search and making search a major part of their next Windows.
    Google has been pretty dominant with MSN coming next usually. But this year and next it's going to be Yahoo(INK) vs Google vs MSN(now INK later MSNs own searh).

Affiliates, advertisers are going to be spending their dollar where people search and Google has already peaked.

Just don't see why this would be a good buy. But i do see them going full fledged portal to try to stay competitive, a lot of their recent purchases seems that this is in the plans.

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't buy it for the short term. I think they are on a downward spiral for the reasons you've mentioned.

I don't buy stocks for the long term (I do options) but it might be a long term play because they do have a great brand name and if they can convert that to money by becoming a portal like Yahoo they might be good long term.

Having said that, if I were to consider it for a long term investment, for me it would all depend on what the price gets to after the first day or two. My guess is a lot of people who don't know about the internet are going to see Google's name and think it's a "can't lose" stock so bid the thing sky high. At that point I wouldn't buy it even long term b/c the return/risk ratio would be higher than I like to have.

Kip

Google is going to be overpriced when it hits the market. The stock is not going to be a good buy, but their business is solid.

They have the best advertising biz going of any search engine...period.

ABW Ambassador
    I'd buy the stock or options if the price were right.

They really have not fully developed any of their businesses besides search, so there is a tremendous opportunity for them to grow.

Also, it is a big company that will get included in the indexes (e.g. S&P500), so there are a lot of mutual funds that will have to buy it.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Just like Overstock Google will be a stable in and out stock. Let the MSN and Yahoo moves to go head to head with them drive down the initial inflated price. Jump on a low point and hold til the search/shopper friendly management strike back by making their results more meaningful to searchers. Sell when you think it has reached a plateau.

I bought and sold Overstock 4 times for a nice profit. Just unloaded all shares yesterday at 20.79 purchased at 14.20. Best spread was shares purchased at 4.26 and sold for 18.10. Simple to see where they stumble on a bad ebiz call and Google will be very visible as to revelency and Adword growth.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    So, buy low and sell high?

ABW Ambassador
    So would anyone with experience in buying stocks, buy this the first day and sell on the third day? Is this possible?

I won't buy it the first day and sell it the third. But I'll probably keep an eye on it for a few days and think about buying a little of it when it settles into a pattern.

I sure wouldn't buy it wth money I'll need to pay the rent.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't been following this, but have they released any information on their growth plans?

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Considering that I don't have any money to risk on stocks, the answer to the original question is no.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think I would buy right away - the prices at IPO time usually end up higher than what the company is really worth.

But, I think if the price is right, Google could be a good longer term investment. If Google can continue to run their company as they are now I think they can withstand the upcoming onslaught from Microsoft and Yahoo. They have a great brand name identification and still have the best SE out there.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread