What's the current wisdom on Inktomi paid submissions?

Good idea because it gets the submitted page spidered within 48 hours?

Bad idea because Inktomi and/or MSN won't spider the rest of the site that hasn't been paid for?

I have a couple of URLs submitted via Marketleap, and Marketleap allows you to change the URLS at any time.

I have a new site I'd like to jump start, but would I be shooting myself in the foot if I change one of my Marketleap URLs to a page from the new site?

ABW Ambassador
    Inktomi is no more.

Has been replaced by Yahoo "Site Match".

$49 up front, plus 15 cents or 30 cents PER CLICK depending on how they categorize your page. This is for traffic from any and all terms your site is found with; you do not get to specify a set of keywords.

Also keep in mind that there is a distinct bias against affiliate sites. They may very well take your money and say sorry pal, you can't come in; we have a dress code here

These numbers may work for some but in many cases may not be economically feasible.

Get inbound links from other sites that Yahoo likes and they'll crawl and index you eventually.

Thanks Chief Beef

Yep, logging onto Marketleap shows me I can no longer change the URLs I submitted without upgrading to Site Match.

Which is NOT what I paid for when I bought into their service.

Hmmm...

Raw deal, don't waste your money. As far as I'm concerned, they can just stuff it. I'm not going to pay their ransom to get listed.

They'll soon find their search results aren't so hot, because they are ranking sites by whether or not they've paid, and that will return lousy results. Searchers will go elsewhere, because many of the truly good sites will be difficult or impossible to find. It's all about the results delivered, and the ability to pay has nothing to do with the results.

Andy

try Teoma. much cheaper and you don't have to pay per click. that powers ask.com as well as a host of other good ones.

I had the same problem with $1000 worth of Inktomi URLs at Posistiontech - I can't change them, even though their advertising clearly said that I would be able to.

I queried them on this and they said:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Renaming of urls was a value added benefit under the old system and was not a documented and standard feature. URL Renames are treated as a new url submission which Inktomi is no longer allowed to do. There will be no refunds issued as associated with this past feature. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is BULLSH*T because it was clearly their in the advertising when I signed up. My response was to ask where I could serve legal papers to (I've found they have an office in the UK so I may report them to Trading Standards). They replied:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We are supporting the legacy Direct Submit (Search Submit) program in accordance with the terms of service that was agreed to when the order was placed. We have never represented in our terms of service, the ability to change URLs in the prior Direct Submit (Search Submit) program after the URLs were subscribed and submitted to the respective search engines. We unofficially offered the capability to change a URL within the first 30 days as an extended courtesy to our customers, not as a paid feature. This was intended to help those that made a mistake during the subscription process. Unfortunately, this courtesy has been abused by many and Yahoo has decided to rescind its use.

You are welcome to send/serve legal papers to our Corporate address, Attention: Legal Department, and we will handle as appropriate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, what Positiontech and the other resellers are saying is an outright LIE. You could always change the URL within the same site. I think this violates the Illinois Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act where Positiontech are based.

To me this is little short of criminal activity by Yahoo and its Inktomi resellers.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Geez $1000, that sucks!

Mine was just two URLs and I'm a bit miffed about it.

I haven't challenged Marketleap on it and I probably won't bother, I'll mark it down to experience.

There was never a 30 day restriction on Marketleap's offer to change URLs at any time.

The 30-day restriction allowed you to change the submitted URL from one domain to another - after 30 days you could change the URL but only within the same domain.

This isn't the first time Yahoo! have shafted webmasters - about two years ago they had a big drive to sign people up to the Yahoo! directory on the basis that directory results scored well in the SERPs.. and promptly dropped them from the listings.

In my opinion, Yahoo are an outfit completely without any ethics of any sort.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I'm able to change my urls with Lycos Insite. It refreshes and is in MSN. All seems the same over there. Weird, anyway I'm happy I can still get something in and make changes..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    In my opinion, Yahoo are an outfit completely without any ethics of any sort. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. I'm still new to this business and it's getting to the stage where when (if) I encounter ethics I cling on to the person exhibiting them with a fierce loyalty. LOL.

I don't very often test my links, but recently, most of the tests I've made have not tracked.

(Including programs highly regarded on this board.)

You are perfectly correct there dynamoo in fact I once had an email from positiontec stating the exact same thing. I lost the bloody thing last time my comp crashed
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

www.webwurld.co.uk look like they too have gone down the pan.... !! Another Inktomi re-seller from the UK...spent just over £1000 with them !!

Ouch...the home screen has been up since about January !!

Malc
    Adverts

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread