Hello -

There is much discussion on some of the more specific forums dedicated to SEO that the Google algorithm and spidering practices are not letting new sites fully into the index.

I was curious if anyone here has experience this "sandboxing effect" as it is being called. Has anyone build a site with over 100 or 200 pages since January, and been able to get it fully indexed AND ranked by google to where it is pulling in decent traffic (say more than 100 or 200 unique visitors a day)?

I develop larger sites, and since January, have only been able to get a small percentages of pages into the Google SE. All of the pages get spidered and "semi-indexed", but none of them are currently "ranking" in google.

Just wondering what others experiences are.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yup. I have around 6 sites since January. They are all indexed, but don't rank. Just starting to pick up traffic in the last week or so.

ABW Ambassador
    What kind of sites are these?

thats true. about 5000 of some doorways for a german merchant are only semi indexed since 2 months. and they got so many backlinks ....

ABW Ambassador
    Nope, struggling to get anything new to rank at all. In answer to Trust's question - one site is for a software supplier (not an affiliate site), one is an HR consultancy and I have two new affiliate sites. They went live Feb and March. They all should be ranking well by now.

ABW Ambassador
    Hmm, don't know, haven't had a new site up in awhile, working on a new one. I've had new pages getting, ranking and staying in just fine. Had a forum that went up end of March doing fine. Don't know if it's related to the IPO and them just holding new sites a little longer while they try to get a handle of what they've already got. I read the same thread over at WMW, a lot of speculation. Just have to wait and see.

Yeah, just a wait and see. There is some speculation that this "holding period" will be one factor in making it a bit more difficult for spammers...and many more theories.

Trust, if that forum is under a domain name that existed before January, that would explain why it's doing well. It's the new domains that are "sand boxed".

Who knows. Key is to keep building, thinking, and innovating, and take a long term approach to site and overall business diversification. I believe this includes SEO techniques.

Dan

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There is some speculation that this "holding period" will be one factor in making it a bit more difficult for spammers... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree with the premise of that speculation.

How on Earth would making everybody wait affect spammers any more than any other site?

If Google really thinks that'll do anything about spam they aren't thinking too well. It'll just cause a huge backlog of sites of all types waiting to get in. About the only ones I can see being hurt by it are people who are impatient and give up before ever seeing the light of day, not spammers in particular.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

The sandbox effect has been very real for me.

Six months ago I started building sites in earnest.

Typically, they started getting Google hits after about a month, then died a couple of weeks later.

The oldest ones are beginning to get traffic again now.

It's effectively prevented me from getting off the ground.

if google is an 8000 pound gorilla then I'm a smear at the bottom of one of its footprints

I guess it would hurt the spammers with the disposable domains. They couldnt replace their sites quickly after they are dropped.

I don't see any sandboxing though. My new site from 3 weeks ago is listed #13 for keyword but no page rank yet.

I've seen the effect on a couple of new sites that we've rolled out since January, so there must be something to it.

Google also appears to be shifting things around less and less. The first 10 or 12 results seem to be fairly consistently the same ones but underneath that they jump all over the place. I've seen one of our sites jump from 12 to nowhere to 50 to 30... no pattern to it at that level, just fairly random results, yet the first page rarely changes (at least for the 20-odd two word keywords that I follow on a routine basis).

While our Older Sites are still pulling them in, I'm noticing lately that Google seems to be dropping pages from our largest site on a regular basis. Haven't figured that out yet, but I'd give the site some four-five more months at this rate and it'll disappear forever.

If you have Top Three positions Google is treating you well, but the Sandbox thing and specific lack of search results movement (IMO) certainly makes it tough for newbies to get in the Google door, and then if you don't rank well it won't be worth your effort because Google will start expiring your pages.

CodeJockey.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jane:
    I guess it would hurt the spammers with the disposable domains. They couldnt replace their sites quickly after they are dropped.

I don't see any sandboxing though. My new site from 3 weeks ago is listed #13 for keyword but no page rank yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's going to affect you it'll happen soon.

It's typical that a new site starts seeing traffic after a few weeks then dies completely for 5 or 6 months.

I hope it doesn't affect you, by the way

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I think that it is true.

I have submitted 6 new sites since January. 2 affilate related sites and the other 4 are a variety of topics that I have designed for others, such are real estate, wood carving school, etc. I don't think it has anything to do with what type of site it is at all. I think it affects all new domain names.

They have all been indexed, usually within a day or two, but they are not ranking. The oldest of the 6 is just now starting to pick up some traffic and it has been just over 3 months since it was indexed.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Are you talking about page ranking or serp ranking?

I can get page ranking rather quickly, serp ranking is different ball of wax, and getting sales is another

I'm talking about serps. Page rank seems to be a non issue these days, unless you can get 5 or more.

I've noticed some inconsistent results from Google lately. I've created 2 new sites this year and 1 is fully indexed by Google after only being online for about 5 weeks. It's getting a steady stream of traffic and it's increasing every day. The other site is much larger and has only been about 20% indexed. It's been like this for weeks. Google still continues to spider it and grabs 40% of the site each month, so I know Google has more than it's showing. The site is ranking really well and Google is even giving me traffic for my newer pages. Seems it's removing pages from the index as it replaces them with my newer pages, very strange. I keep waiting for Google to index more of this site, but it's yet to be seen.

I guess all I can really do is just keep adding value to the site for my return traffic. Afterall, this is really where my focus needs to lie.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

After 5 weeks your site is by no means clear of the dreaded 'quicksand' box...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Danski:
    Hello -

There is much discussion on some of the more specific forums dedicated to SEO that the Google algorithm and spidering practices are not letting new sites fully into the index.

I was curious if anyone here has experience this "sandboxing effect" as it is being called. Has anyone build a site with over 100 or 200 pages since January, and been able to get it fully indexed AND ranked by google to where it is pulling in decent traffic (say more than 100 or 200 unique visitors a day)?

I develop larger sites, and since January, have only been able to get a small percentages of pages into the Google SE. All of the pages get spidered and "semi-indexed", but none of them are currently "ranking" in google.

Just wondering what others experiences are.

Thanks,

Dan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is your site so I can take a look? Thanks!

My traffic was 350 a month in June 2003 and is now 19,100 a month...not bad in 11 months...can't say I've seen much change with regards to google, but as always Yahoo and AOL are coming along in leaps and bounds.

Malc - UK shopping was never so much fun !
    Adverts

Here is an interesting article on the subject. I think a solution may be linking to sites where your competitors are.

http://www.webpronews.com/insiderrep...tRevealed.html

personally i have stopped worrying about all the new changes. i just make more pages and optimize but not over doing it. there would be too much stress trying to figure out some algorithm that changes almost every two weeks. its a waste of time debating and trying to figure it out.

my 2 cents...

Sil

It doesn't affect established websites to the same degree.

For those of us trying to start out it's helpful to be able to give a name to the phenomenon that has stuffed us for the last six months.

ABW Ambassador
    Does that webpronews guy ever write an article thats not a basic WMW copy and paste?

Trust - I don't think he does...EVER.

Sil - I don't care much about algorithm changes either, but this sandboxing is frustrating. New sites get indexed, but don't rank. Annoying, it has GOT to stop eventually, and it will..but the waiting sucks!

Dan

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread