ABW Ambassador
    I just tried using Good Keywords again after not using it for a while and I just noticed a big decrease in the number of searches for many of my phrases. I figured that earlier in the year might be a normal thing, since the Christmas season has gone by, but what about a more recent drop?

What I don't understand is that around a month ago I had a phrase that got around 240,000 searches a month and now it's only getting around 16,000. It doesn't seem like a seasonal phrase.

Any thoughts? Does anyone know of a better free tool? And how many searches a month is usually worth your time to make a site for?
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    I only use Wordtracker since that's the most accurate IMO but as far as free i guess
    http://inventory.overture.com/d/sear...ry/suggestion/

ABW Ambassador
    It seems like overture is returning the results that good keywords has... well, vice versa probably. That's a bummer how fast the amount of searches can decrease. I mean, it's disheartening... to try to estimate the amount of traffic and then watch it decrease so much.

Are sites with only around 20k searches a month still good to go after?

ABW Ambassador
    Depends on the product, how many competing sites etc.

I know you're looking for free, but consider paying for Wordtracker an investment. You will make your money back in folds. It is the most accurate of what's out there.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't mind paying for it, I just want to start making enough on here to make it worth it. I was just looking at it and it seems like a great program and probably worth the money. It's just that some of the phrases I'm targetting now seem to only have around 80 searches a day in the wordtracker trial (which only shows MSN, possibly altavista too, but I didn't mess with that part). I'm just hoping that that is enough traffic searching for my terms.

I've built seven sites now, and now I'm beginning to get a lot of links coming in and I'm watching them climb up the serps. Now it's just sad to see that I'm not getting as many searches for the phrases as I thought I would.

I usually try for sites with only a few hundred thousand results that come up in the serps. I figure those aren't as tough to get ranked for I'm hoping. So 20k searches for results that I can hopefully get listed in... I'm just hoping that will be enough searching.

Hopefully all of that made sense. It just makes it seem like all the work I've done might not bring in much, and it's another obstacle I need to overcome in my mind if you know what I mean.

ABW Ambassador
    The following is just my opinion, i don't know your sites or how much they're bringing in and somebody could post after this and make more sense. I'm sleepy

I think you started doing this 3 months ago and already have 7 sites? It just seems to me you keep making sites and are still learning the ins and out and haven't had one make any money yet or maybe a sale here and there. It'll take some time, i don't know if you're expecting too much too soon or not. What i did when i first started was just concentrate on one until i figured out what i was doing and then applied what i learned to new ones. I've been doing this 2 years and only have 4 sites with another one i just started. Some might say keep making sites until you find one that works. I would maybe just concentrate on one you think has the most potential or has brought you in some sales and work on that instead of moving on making more sites. Not sure, you know your sites and yourself better than me. I've said before you ask good questions and i'll think you make it, i just think you should focus on one and get that to work and learn some more before moving on. I think once you start having success with one you'll be more confident when you start making more. But some might say keep building more sites and they could very well be right, don't know. Just hang in there and keep at it, i put in a lot of hours of learning but it does pay off if you're persistent. Luckily you found the right forum when just starting out.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for taking the time to reply even though you are tired (I'm about to hit the hay myself).

And you are right, I have moved a little quick I think and have spread myself a little thin. Now I'm having to backtrack and focus on getting some good backlinks and increasing content on all of these sites at once. It seems to be paying off though. The income is very minimal, but watching the sites slowly move up the rankings is great.

I just got a little scared when I saw the number of monthly searches drop and started thinking that this could get extremely challenging. I mean, I know it's not easy, but I just can't bring myself to giving up when it just feels like all of this is right here at my fingertips.

I guess I can't let those numbers discourage me, I just need to get these sites ranked high and see what happens.

Thanks again for taking the time to give the advice... and the kind words. Sometimes that's all the motivation someone needs to get passed certain obstacles.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    bpal,

I love GoodKeywords and use it all the time for research and it does pull from Overture. But if I was still doing SEO for a living or affiliate marketing, I would definately get WT.

You really should invent in WordTracker, but in the meantime here is a free tool that will help.
    You can only look up one phrease at a time but it pulls both the WT and Over results. The WT results are grea because they show you singular vs plural and other detail that Over does not.

http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/

Enjoy! Try it to see how much better you will do by investing in WT, then go get it!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If you got the searches initially, then its not Good Keywords but rather a change in search engines used (google vs yahoo?) and/or competition using the same search phrase. Have you tried doing a search on the phrases in question to see how you rank? A LOT has happened since Christmas - particularly if you have new sites that were only indexed in Google. Google lost a lot of searches and made some changes as well.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks you guys for the input and links. About the changes to the search engines. Well, some of my sites are getting ranked for google and/or yahoo, and others are still climbing and are in the 300 or 400 range, which I don't see as half bad as long as I can continue to get them to climb. What I was troubled about was that many phrases lost a lot of searches monthly... the phrases according to the tools that show how many searches, not the actually traffic to my sites.

One of them had about 240,000 searches a month and is down to about 16,000. This is my newest sites and I'm not getting the traffic yet, but I was just concerned that I might get less traffic, even if I get ranked highly, than I was hoping for. I'm just hoping with that many searches a month, and if I can get good rankings, that the site will still produce a somewhat decent amount of income.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread