(2004) Is buying Expired domains a good way to get traffic?
    I clicked on the link above this forum to read about buying expired domains as a way to get targeted traffic. Is this still a good thing to do? There must be a cheaper way for me to do this without paying that company $48 for a list of available domains?

hi UJ,

do a search on your favorite SE... and dig a little and you will find the free expired domain search services...

there are several.... I not at my computer and i cant remeber the Urls..

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    at namewinner.com you can search, also, I think it was called deleteddomains.com , has a cool way to look for expiring names.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    It's only good if you can find ones with traffic or good key words for type-in or typo traffic.

The deleteddomains.com tool is VERY cool!

This one lists by year and week alphbetically.
    http://www.namestead.com/expired-domains-lists

This one lists soon to expire domains with TRAFFIC, link pop and Alexa ranking. The big boys jump on these before you know it though.
    http://www.cheaphostingdirectory.com...thtraffic.html

I snapped an expired domain recently and it kept the backlinks and PR from it's previous life, it's making sales and it was a bargain for $60 (via pool.com)... that's something you might want to watch out for though, seems like Google often wipes the old backlinks and the expired domains start life as a PR0 again... I think I read somewhere that Google *always* removes the old backlinks when a domain expires but that's not the case

6. Thanks From:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Catalyst:

This one lists soon to expire domains with TRAFFIC, link pop and Alexa ranking. The big boys jump on these before you know it though.
    http://www.cheaphostingdirectory.com...thtraffic.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what is more important to look for, link pop, alexa ranking, or alexa links?

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by midnightcoder:
    I snapped an expired domain recently and it kept the backlinks and PR from it's previous life, it's making sales and it was a bargain for $60 (via pool.com)... that's something you might want to watch out for though, seems like Google often wipes the old backlinks and the expired domains start life as a PR0 again... I think I read somewhere that Google *always* removes the old backlinks when a domain expires but that's not the case <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard this too. Is there any known indicator of how to tell if google will drop the links or of a strategy to keep them... or even how long one has to gain more links until the original ones are gone?
    I forgot what I was doing.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    UncleJesse,

Depends on what is most important to you - link pop or existing traffic. Since the Google PR question is still up in the air and I have heard mixed reports, I would go for traffic myself. I would hate to pay 60 for a Snap and then find out Google deleted the PR and that's all there was.

There are also some places I think that also tell you if the site is listed in Yahoo which could be worth something.

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by holy-food View Post
    Some times popular domain can help in driving traffic but for sure it adds a domain ageing factor and gives a free PR if it has any....
    any PR it brings can't last for long, though. and age may not be much of a factor. and this thread dates from mid-2004.

It depends. For example I wouldn't suggest buying any old nambla domains. I'd check the wayback machine and see if it's something you want to be associated with.

Internet Archive: Wayback Machine
    Last edited by Mack; February 8th, 2011 at 04:48 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    As far as PR, make sure it's not fake PR and not just some domain being redirected. Good way to check is put info:www.domainyourechecking.com into Google and if some other site shows up besides the one you just put it, redirected.

I wouldn't know or think that Google wipes it, but it's possible. Bottom line is though that Google will be referencing pages that don't exist, so ultimately the 404s will translate into deleted indexed pages.

but the real issue is that if you buy a domain name after it's deleted from the registry, you start at 0 in terms of age. You'd have to acquire the name from the current owner to keep age.

So really unless it's keyword rich, the only real benefit to expired domain names is active incoming links, apparently an entry in DMOZ is a selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    As far as PR, make sure it's not fake PR and not just some domain being redirected. Good way to check is put info:www.domainyourechecking.com into Google and if some other site shows up besides the one you just put it, redirected.
    the link is not working.!

It is an example, not a real link. Replace "domainyourechecking" with the name of the domain you are checking. If you mean the other links from 2004 they may not be valid links anymore.

It depend on the keyword that targeting the expired domain. I bet such domain may cost to you more bugs than you buy a new one. It is wise to spend that money to advertise your current domain.

OOh, I missed the info: part.

Dropday.com is a good one for your research.

yes.. redirected traffic reselling. Just update the links and it's pages.

20. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread