I took everyones advice and am trying to learn SEO on my own. I am using some free tools that check my tags and page layout etc. I have pretty much optimized them as best as I can (they got "excellent" ratings for each keyword). So, do now I really have to go out and get links?

Can anyone give me an idea how important this is compaired to just optimizing my meta tags?

Thanks

Meta tags are the least important part of SEO

according to your comments...

YOu may have misunderstood what you were told...

SEO is a process that you take your webpages thorugh after you build them...

If I were to pick one part of SEO, I would say the most important part is keyword density within your content... too little your content is unimportant... too much you are risking being branded a search engine spammer..

SEO is not something you are going to learn in a few days... and you certainly are NOT going to master it using a few free tools!

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

ABW Ambassador
    Keyword density the most important part of SEO?? Nope.

Meta tags are important, title tag the most important of the meta tags. Did you know that Yahoo uses the meta keyword tag? Make sure your tags are straight, they are important.

ABW Ambassador
    Links are very important, but not the only thing. There are tons of factors, but if you leave out the links, you've left out a very big one.
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    Concentrate on the basic factors without going overboard, and in the course of time you'll hopefully get a feel for what works and you'll be able to determine a "balance" of these factors that will generally assure at least some degree of success when used again and again.

Proper use, but not overuse, of key terms in title, description, keyword meta tag, header tags, body text, alt text in graphics, outbound hyperlinked text.

Get some inbound links. The more the better, but don't get too uptight about how many; just a few is usually quite enough. Concentrate on quality links; pages with reasonable PR and relevance to the subject matter of your site. (Though the subject matter of linking pages may not be an important factor at present, in the long run it's the safe and secure way to go). If you do reciprocal linking, just be sure not to link out to penalized areas.

Thanks

What do you mean about "linking out to penalized areas"? what are those?

Also, what is PR?

ABW Ambassador
    PR stands for PageRank. It's part of Google's ranking algorithm. Go to Google and download their toolbar. It'll have a little green bar at the top that measures page rank. The green bar shows a ranking from zero to ten. This is different than your search engine ranking. The higher your pagerank, the better. That is why linking is important, it increases pagerank. The higher the pagerank the better.

That's just a basic idea of it. As far as penalized areas... maybe someone else should take that one.
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    Penalized areas = sites that Google deems as spammy or manipulative of Google's algorithm. Linking to one of these areas is cause for Google to penalize you.

You have lots of questions about SEO. When I was in your shoes, this article was an immense help.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Thanks. That was a great article. ONE LAST question. I downloaded the goodle toolbar, can someone explain (in simple terms) how I can check my page rank?

Animal Lover
    Hey UncleJesse,

to check page rank, you need to go to your site, and then there should be some green on your google toolbar when the site loads up...unless it's a new site or a site that's been penalized in which case there will be no green bar. Run your mouse over the bar and there should be a little tag that comes up and reads "PageRank is Google's measure of the importance of this page (something/10)"

The (something/10) bit is your page rank.

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

ABW Ambassador
    It doesn't show pagerank by default. Click on the google logo and then "options". You should see an option for "pagerank".
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread