Anyone else been dropped from the Inktomi engine lately? I have had about 200 sites and thousands of pages dropped at the end of April. The Inktomi Slurp has not even come back by since then either. I have lost a majority of my business and trying to figure out how to get back in.

One week later, all of my sites were back listed with Inktomi for one day (tons of traffic) and then disappeared and have not come back.

Can anyone make any sense of this? Is this their way of trying to make us pay for "Site Match".

ABW Ambassador
    How are you with the guidelines?
    http://www.marketleap.com/inktomi/guidelines.htm
    How are you with the other search engines? Is MSNbot hitting your site? Maybe get some more links in, can only help in getting slurp back at your site.

My only real traffic left is coming from Google. Google had dropped off the last couple of months and Yahoo and MSN picked up the slack very well.

Yahoo and MSN both dropped out on the same day and neither bot is coming by right now, although the googlebot is coming by quite often.

I had a bunch of links on my other sites (cross linking somewhat) to my sites that got dropped. Although the sites that got dropped did not have any links to my other sites on them.

I have taken 3 of my sites that are still listed and trying to place links on them to my new sites. Trying anything to get Inktomi or MSN to come back.

ABW Ambassador
    It looks like a penalty of some sort. I can't think of another reason why you would go from 200 sites down to 3. That's a drastic drop.

Noticed the same thing on my site.about a month ago, then miraculously back again 4 days ago - great increase in traffic - and then 24 hours later completely gone again. Absolutely nuts! Can't figure it out.

I've been told that the reason the Ink hits dropped off was because Yahoo quit using them on the 15th of April. The traffic didn't stop for everyone on the same day however; it appears to be a rolling process like a Google update. I think I got "swept under the rug" about two weeks ago because my traffic has been way down since then.

CDC
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do...

ABW Ambassador
    The only thing you can really do is concentrate on getting some strong links in and don't do anything that will get you a penalty. You do that you should have no problem getting crawled and indexed. Then you just have to worry about getting indexed where you want to be

Do you know who Yahoo is using now instead? I thought they bought Inktomi a few months back so that they would own their own search engine.

Just trying to figure out how to get listed in Yahoo again without paying their price for "site match".

ABW Ambassador
    They own INK but the index is not INK, it's Yahoo. They also own AllTheWeb and Altavista and those 2 plus Yahoo are all the same index. Yahoo said they are going to let INK die as a brand. Once MS gets their SE together INK is dead. I wouldn't give SiteMatch a dime, more than likely you will lose a lot of money. Links in always does the trick.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread