Yahoo just dropped about 98% of one of my websites. It picked it up in less than two weeks and I ranked fairly high on a lot of good keywords, most in top 10. I was getting plenty of good traffic from them.

When I checked my stats this morning, I had no visitors at all from Yahoo since midnight last night. So I checked my listings. All had been dropped except a few pages that barely get any hits at all to begin with. I got a couple of visitors now from Yahoo, but with extremely long search phrases, otherwise my pages don't show in results - I checked!

Someone told me that Yahoo lists sites sometimes as a "favor" to new sites and then drops them?!?!? My other sites get most of the traffic from Google, MSN, and other SE's, and very very little from Yahoo. I'm really not familiar with Yahoo at all.

What's the deal?

Catwoman

I've only recently been indexed in Yahoo. While they've only indexed about 1% of my pages, they do give me decent traffic. I've noticed that they will de-index more than half of these pages some days then it's all back the next day. It's a little odd, but maybe that's what's happening to you. I just hope to see Yahoo Slurp in my logs again soon!!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Yahoo did this to me before, but it only lasted a couple of hours or so and all my listings were back. Today my traffic for that site is down about 90%, I don't find that funny at all. It hasn't been picked by any other search engines yet although MSN bot and teoma have been regular crawlers.

Hope you're right and my traffic will be back tomorrow!

Catwoman

At the end of April, I lost 95% of my pages on Yahoo. Almost all of my sites disapperared completely. One week later it all came back....for 1 day only. All sites have been gone ever since. I was hoping that they would all show up again, but it has been about 3 weeks since the day that it came back. I have not seen the yahoo slurp come back by any of these sites either. Not sure what they are doing, but I have lost tons of money this month.

Sorry to have bad news for you, but I hope that all of your stuff comes back. Keep us posted.

http and a telephoto
    I'm getting "over slurped" by the bot, but don't see any corresponding increase in traffic, am about to start another thread about just that. All the bots are crawling deep and long and hard..... On all my sites, my bandwidth is being gobbled up!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but for a large part of yesterday, yahoo search didn't seem to function in my area.

When I used the actual yahoo website, it would go to a page saying something about search not working (can't remember, didn't really read it), and when I used the monitoring program I have, it wouldn't work either.

Yahoo was being weird in this area yesterday. Don't know about everywhere. Just a thought.

Actually, it's still doing it now. It works for a moment, then it doesn't.
    I forgot what I was doing.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread