I have the site http://www.abettermall.com . This site only has 5 "real" pages, but I'm using url re-writing to create about 100 virtual pages from my database of stores. Google has indexed my home page and updates it regularly, but it will not index any of my sub-pages. I can not figure out why. I'm using the same url-rewriting code I've used on other sites and google indexed them. In addition to that, this site has a page-rank of 1. Most of my other sites received page ranks of 4-5 without even trying to optimise them. I'm sure I'm doing something to "offend" google's bot, but don't know what it is. Anyone have some advice?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

ABW Ambassador
    It is because of the low PR on the homepage. Get some links for the home page and then wait for a while.

Google indexed my homepage about a week after I submitted it. It's now been just over a month since I submitted and google just indexed the rest of my site the other day. I got some backlinks in the mean time also. Just waiting on a PR and BL update now.

this happens most of the time... google is like that... you have to give google a reason to spider you site...

start with a better title... use those same keywords above the fold as part of your content...

and dont forget there are other search engines...

I get very little google traffic ... the MSN, Yahoo and others more then pick up the slack...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I am having a simular problem, 2 nights ago google came in and hit evrything, the site finaly posted a pr1, last night she just bounces off my home page.

It,s been 2 week since her visit before that. I don't know if I pissed her off or what.

I have another website that I have had for several months but never had her indexed.

While I have been doing some seo and links I have promoted the old girl some also.

She started getting hit evry night but never went past the flash intro, that got rated pr3.

Today I figured out why the other pages arn't getting indexed, so I dropped the flash. Hoping to see something happen on both sites now.

If anyone has any coments, please do.

Do It,
    Free website builder

Last night she came in on the home page again and low and behold the pr1 went to pr0.

Also on the other site she was at the hoe page and the pr3 went to a pr2.

I may have some words used too much. I took some out.

I will wait until tomorrow.

Any sugestions?

Do It,

Mike
    EZ Website builder

ABW Ambassador
    Check to see that you don't have a "Do not follow" meta tag on your main page.

It is a stupid mistake to make but I did it anyway. Had a new site, with a lot of back pages to develop. To speed up the SE indexing, I put the home page out with "Robots DO Not Follow" tag.

Of course, finished the back pages & forgot to remove the tag.

Wayne

Wayne,

I did find this in there: <META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="1 month"> , but nothing about do not follow.

Should I change the 1 month to 1 day?

Thanks,Great Affiliate Program

Mike

Wayne,

How about this tag?
    <META NAME="distribution" CONTENT="Local">

Should this say something else?
    Also
    <META NAME="author" CONTENT="">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="">

Do these need something in them?

Do It,

Mike
    Easy do it yourself websites

ABW Ambassador
    There's very little value in Meta Tags in terms of SEO. I haven't used Meta Tags apart from the ones Dreamweaver inserts and those required by forum software agreements.

I'm having a good day in terms of new visitors.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeremy Z:
    I'm sure I'm doing something to "offend" google's bot, but don't know what it is. Anyone have some advice? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I see two problems right here

1. I clicked a link for "book clubs" and was hoping for "book clubs". I got nothing but chrome.

2. There's a "!" in your URL. That might offend Googlebot. I'm not 100% certain, but this might be the solution to your troubles.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    DoitSites wrote:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Any sugestions?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A few.

i) All those meta tags you have with the exception of the title, keyword and description meta tags are worthless. I'd remove them all. They're doing you no good and are just cluttering up the code.

ii) That text at the top of the page is horrendous. Rewrite it so that it makes sense or hire an SEO [not me, though] to write some search engine friendly copy.

iii) Get some damn links. The problem with your site is that you don't have any.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There's a "!" in your URL. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I don't have a list of allowable characters handy but that's what I would look into first.

What Markymark said about meta-tags. Maybe Google doesn't like to be told when to revisit. I see no point in placing any restrictions on when they can stop by.

Also, it looks like some stray tags outside the &lt;/head&gt; tag. An extra "keywords," and a &lt;link type="text/css" tag. I'm not a css user but I think this belongs in the head. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, it looks like some stray tags outside the &lt;/head&gt; tag. An extra "keywords," and a &lt;link type="text/css" tag. I'm not a css user but I think this belongs in the head. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you're not wrong. Good spot, NorthernStudio.

ABW Ambassador
    I thought I would provide a little clarification regarding these two tags:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> &lt;META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="1 month"&gt; </pre>This code is not for search engines as is widely believed but is for proxy servers that cache pages locally for delivery to cut down on international traffic. They would store a page that is fetched often by their members locally so that it can be delivered without refetching it from the originating site. That tag tells the server to look for an updated copy of that page after one month. You can adjust this figure depending on how often you intend to update the page.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> &lt;META NAME="distribution" CONTENT="Local"&gt;
    </pre>this one is for the engines and tells them whether the page is for local or international consumption. I would leave it out altogether.

Here is how I do my pages. I have left out anything I see no value in:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> &lt;!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"&gt;
    &lt;html&gt;
    &lt;head&gt;
    &lt;LINK REL=STYLESHEET TYPE="text/css" HREF="http://yoursite.com/yourstylesheet.CSS"&gt;
    &lt;title&gt;Your Title&lt;/title&gt;
    &lt;meta name=description content="Your description"&gt;
    &lt;meta name=KeyWords content="keyword 1,2,3,4,5"&gt;
    &lt;meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
    &lt;/head&gt;
    &lt;body&gt;
    &lt;H1&gt;Your Title&lt;/H1&gt;
    &lt;/body&gt;
    &lt;/html&gt;</pre>

Cheers,

DPG

markymark, wayne, and dpg,

Thanks for your help,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also, it looks like some stray tags outside the &lt;/head&gt; tag. An extra "keywords," and a &lt;link type="text/css" tag. I'm not a css user but I think this belongs in the head. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't seem to find this, where about is it?

I see there are &lt;! up the page from the body tags, could this be stopping her?

The URL's you are talking about are the links. I don't have control in the first groupof links, but I can write them ater that as http://www.doitsites.com/index.cfm?f...owse&pageid=25 thus it has no ! but it does have the ?

Does this help at all?

Thanks,

Mike
    Easy websites

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I can't seem to find this, where about is it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The tags at line 13 & 14. The closing head tag &lt;/head&gt; is at line 10. The Keyword tag is a repeat & can be deleted. The &lt;Link type..." tag should be before the &lt;/head&gt; tag. This seems to be the case on the few other pages on your site I looked at too. I don't think this is your SE problem though.

Many thousands of my ASP generated pages have a "?" in the URL & Google is quite content with that. I've never seen an "!"

Wayne

Mike,

The problems weisinator described were in my site, not yours. In response to them, I have fixed the duplicate meta tags and the ones outside of the &lt;head&gt; section. For the ! in the url, that is due to some url re-writing that I'm doing to make dynamic pages look static. I needed a character that was not likely to occur in the url or query string. I have done this using ~ on other sites and it worked great, but the host I'm using trips out on ~ so I used !. Is there anyway to determine if this really is the source of my problems? I can change it to something else, but I'm realy running out of unused characters.
    In the last few days my page rank has gone from 1 to 2, due to some new incoming links, but google has still only indexed my home page.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Jeromy,

Wow, I thought I was going nuts, couldn't find those tags.

I am sorry if I confused your deal here. I could still use some help with my situation though.

Check it out at www.doitsites.com .

Do It,

Mike
    Best Website Builder

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doitsites:
    Wow, I thought I was going nuts, couldn't find those tags. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Sorry I mixed up the issues Mike. I'll blame it on multi-tasking: the art of screwing up three things simultaneously.

Wayne

guys,

Looks like we kinda just fizzled out with this thread.

I suppose I should start a new one, because I shure would like some insight on my website google deal.

Thanks,

Mike
    Best website builder

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread