I've done thousands of link exchanges by only responding to requests from others. Today I get one that says they put up my link and would I like to reciprocate. They grabbed the link from a page where I offer my link codes for copy 'n' paste.

I go to check this site for my link and it's at the top of their home page. No other links or link pages were to be found on this site.

I know it's good to have your keywords in the anchor text of your link, but now my keywords are spider food on top of this guy's home page.

Anyone seen this before? Any comments?. I've had so many wierd things happen this morning that I'm not going to anything for the time being. In fact, heck, I'm taking the day off.
    ~Ernie

Animal Lover
    I thought having it on the main page was a HUGE bonus because it's usually the best PR page around on any site? Plus it means your link will get probably get spidered by google faster than it would be in a links page amongst 50 others which could be in tier 1 or 2 of the site.

And you will get better exposure (kind of like being on the front cover of a magazine )

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

If the link stays there, it's probably a good deal for you.

But really, how important is your particular link to him? Do you really warrant that placement?

Or will your link be replaced by someone else's as soon as you have confirmed your link to him is in place? Enough people never re-check their backlinks to make this potentially worthwhile.

I'll definitely be checking on this one to see how long the link stays there. It was just odd there were no other link exchange sites listed on this site. My concern is that he is using my copy for his own SEO efforts and I'm sure he legally can do this. The link appears to be a part of his layout. His home page is a PR0, so that's no help to me. I have no problem getting spidered by Google and my PR is good. Home page is PR5, category pages at PR4 and my links pages are mostly PR3.

It's really not a problem. Just a curiosity since I've not seen this tactic before.
    ~Ernie

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It was just odd there were no other link exchange sites listed on this site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done that (but at the bottom of the page, not the top!).

I don't do many exchanges for most of my sites, and I think it'd be pathetic to have a links page with say, 1 or 2 links. So for those sites I just stick the recips on the front page until I finally get a lot of them.

As for the keywords, I never really thought of it! Usually my recips aren't in areas where it'd do me any good to come up under their terms anyway, but I suppose a few of my links could make for a little SEO boost... (shrugs)

While I can't really guess the motivation of whoever linked to you, those are the reasons *I* have for putting recips on the front page. Although never on TOP, lol! If someone is going to leave my site without buying, it's NOT going to be because I practically begged them to by having a competing link where a person can find it without even scrolling down...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If someone is going to leave my site without buying, it's NOT going to be because I practically begged them to by having a competing link where a person can find it without even scrolling down...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I'm gonna be looking for this referer in my stats to see how many visitors it actually amounts to. I have another link on a very small content site's home page and it consistantly pulls in 200+ targeted visitors a day. A couple of times it brought in more traffic than Yahoo!
    ~Ernie

Ernie,

The fact is if he is a pr0 and you can put him on your links page pr3, it's a good deal for him.

I wouldn't look for a ton of traffic from him right now, but lets say your pr3 helps him and he does start to kick some _ss, and lets assume he just keeps your link there on his home page. Not bad.

I would look at it as if you like his site and what he is doing then go for it, what do you have to loose?

If you are not parrellel with his site stay away.

Yes he is probably trying to benifit some how, but I don't think he is trying to suck your blood. If he benefits, so what, thats what a jv is or exchange is. If he wants your content, he can steele that, so the link should have nothing to do with that.

Do It,

Mike
    Super Fare Affiliate Program

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> His home page is a PR0, so that's no help to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be REAL careful, If I were you. Although his PR0 may be due to a new site, it could also mean a penalty. For safety's sake, I never link to someone until they have at least SOME PR ;-)

Erik

ABW Ambassador
    I have to agree with AllPiercings.

PR0 can mean a penalty and if you link to a bad neighbourhood you may get tarred with the same brush. Do a Whois on the site and see when it was registered. If it is old, steer clear. In fact I would steer clear anyway as this one smells bad.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread