While things are slowing getting back on track after being hit hard by Google in mid-March, I lost 99% of the traffic from Yahoo and MSN since mid-night 24 hours ago.

Strange that this happened at both search engines at the same time. Needless to say, I am not a happy camper.

I spent much time trying to identify what in the name of God is happening, but I’m totally stuck and clueless.

Just wondering if anyone heard anything about Yahoo and MSN that might have caused this.

Thanks!

Same exact thing happened to me at the end of April. I lost all traffic from almost all of my sites from Yahoo and MSN on the same day. All of the traffic came back for one day about a week later and then disappeared again. Never gotten it back. I think Yahoo and MSN are still using the Inktomi engine which is about to become obsolete as soon as MSN finally comes out with their new search engine.

This has taken a major toll on my business. About 95%. Just waiting for it to all come back. I think I was penalized for cross-linking. That is my only theory for why I lost traffic to all of my sites at once.

Good luck.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, Yahoo and MSN share a database, so it's not a coincidence that you lost traffic from both at the same time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think Yahoo and MSN are still using the Inktomi engine which is about to become obsolete as soon as MSN finally comes out with their new search engine.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yahoo's search engine is based on what used to be Inktomi and this is currently in use at MSN also. MSN's new search engine will only be used by MSN; Yahoo will still be using what used to be Inktomi.

As for a sudden loss of traffic, Yahoo are doing all sorts of odd things at the moment. Firstly, they seem to be fluctuating between two different databases. Also, new (non-PFI) pages get into the index and then occasionally disappear only to reappear later. Lastly, Yahoo are hand-reviewing sites and excluding the ones they don't deem worthy of being in their database.

When is the launch date for MSN? Haven't really been paying attention.

I do notice MSN has a huge appetite though(8000+ pages in a couple weeks.. google under 400), I'm curious how it will rank and what factors it will rank with. (onpage or off)

Changed the underlying structure of my site(no url change) and now 90% of the pages have no titles or descriptions in google.. and google isn't spidering much.

Under the circumstance, it's not a coincidence. it's now only a matter of how to address the issue.

All pages are not particularly new. In fact, Yahoo still have a good amount of my pages indexed, a lot of them used to be ranked high but nowhere to be found now.

Don't know the launch date for MSN. Rumors said that it may be around July. For better or for worse, this is what I'm looking forward to.

I also noticed some pages in Google without titles or descriptions, but they usually would be showing when I checked again a month or so later.

Since I’m on vacation and being out of town, there isn’t anything I can do anyway. Short-term goal is not to let this ruin the rest of my vacation, then I’ll deal with whatever the SEs decide to do later.

still ranking half decent on yahoo and msn

been seeing a lot of spider activity too

are you listed in odp? most affiliate aren't allowed to have an odp listing, may be the difference.

think that it's purging sites that aren't directory listed for the time being

would explain why our merchant site is pulling more from those engines

Must have something to do with vacations. I was on vacation when all my sited got dropped. Someone must know when we're out of town

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread