Good day!

Lets say I create two identical pages. The only difference is the URL. For instance.

http://mysite.com/my-product.php

http://myproduct.mysite.com/index.php

Do SE's have a ranking preference?

Jason

No, I'm not actually creating two pages. I'm asking if SE's are going to rank one URL higher over the other ... meaning, which route should I go?

Jason

ABW Ambassador
    The position of keywords in the URL has little to do with SEO. As long as they show up, you get a "checkmark" in the box, so to speak.

But then that checkmark isn't weighted too heavily and isn't worth worrying about. I do well in the search engines with database sites that don't put the keyword in the URL.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam Ward:
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This might be a tough one to avoid with some sites with subdomains. Many web hosts runt hsi server:

subdomain.domain.com = www.domain.com/subdomain

So if the user sets up a subdomain, a subfolder is created to hold the subdomain content. Will Google really take offense to this?

ABW Ambassador
    No, they won't. The point is to not to have or avoid the appearance of having duplicate content. If subdomain.domain.com = domain.com/subfolder then don't have any links going to one or the other and there will be no problem.

In the case of the original question, it doesn't matter much, as weisinator said.

Hey Mark, thanks for the reply, much appreciated as always. I am still not convinced that not pointing to teh sulfolder will make it invisible to Google. And if we have to try and keep it invisible, then why take the risk? Of course, this is only based on my own experiences. Back to restructuring.

I've had duplicate content on my pages for months and google still ranks them as a 4

what's interesting is that they won't index most of the duplicate pages that are for canadians only - how did they know that i'm getting 1/10th the traffic for those?

I don't think they penalize, just drop the duplicates they think are hangers on.

since the last week I've set a robots.txt file to disclude the candian duplicate files with candian prices, let you know what happens in a while.

Thanks, I would appreciate the info!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread