I got my site into the ODP but it doesn't show in the google directory or tool-bar yet ?

The ODP enrty shows on Alexa ok though.

The most recent Google directory update just happened in the past couple of days.

Hard to say about a 'scheduled' time. Say every four-six weeks. Unless there's a month with an 'a' in it then it'll be every five-seven weeks. Don't forget the months with a 'y' in them because they affect the schedule also, so decrease that guess by .8 days per every seventeen Tuesdays.

Patience will win out sooner or later.

CodeJockey.

Hi,

According to information I've read in the past, because the WWW is so vast...something like 3 billion web sites (if I'm wrong someone correct me) Google is virtually updating it's directory every minute of the day...it would take too long to spider every site in a day..so the google bot is doing it's thing somewhere right now.

I created a new site 2 weeks ago, Google had the home page listed within 2 days (I linked to the new home page from my regular web site that's spidered every 2 days) and the rest of the new site's pages were picked up after another 2 days.

So the trick is to get links pointing to your new site from a web site that gets visited by google on a regular basis.

Hope this helps,

Malc - www.easyadverts.co.uk
    Adverts

Well not only that but the other thing too.

The *directory* update is sporadic and it can take several months for the listing to appear Google side. The "PageRank boost" takes time as well - Google's PR recalculations are also fairly sporadic.

It's worth noting that you'll get several incremental increases in PageRank depending on the wind direction. You'll get a boost from both the listing at dmoz.org and at the Google directory, plus some ancillary ones from mirrors. It can take several months to settle down.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The site I've had in DMOZ longest has never really settled down. Usually it's a PR5, but occasionally it goes to 6 and sometimes it drops back to 4.

I think "fairly settled" is as solid as that gets...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

It went in a coule of weeks ago. I guess I just want to see what happens with the page rank if anything.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread