ABW Ambassador
    Coke - Pepsi

Google - Yahoo - MSN

That's it.

RC - Teoma, AskJeeves.......

ABW Ambassador
    For search marketers "that's it".

Marketing has been around a whole heck of a lot longer than that "interweb thingie".

ABW Ambassador
    That's what i meant, as far as search engines, i see them settling. Those 3 all have lots of money, good people and the want to bury each other. I think those 3 can satisfy any search needs anybody has and will just continue to dominate. MSN still has to get their own search up and do their own PPC, but i think they're going to do it up right. I can see them all being and staying strong and all going at it for years to come. Then i think they will be so far ahead that even when they stumble (pepsi clear, new coke) they will be so far ahead it won't matter.

ABW Ambassador
    We can hope and pray that a few more can sprout within the next few years though. It's inevitable. Fast/Lycos, Altavista et. al sure looked pretty invincible 3 years ago.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not saying it's a bad thing that those 3 will dominate, think it's good. Better than just 1 dominating. It's possible someone else can come up, but i don't see what they can offer as far as search that the big 3 can't. I remember AllTheWeb trying with how many pages they have indexed, they just got bought up by Yahoo. When Teoma first came on the scene they were all hyped up to challenge Google and actually have a nice relevant search, but ended up being no challenge. I remember seeing a story about Virgin Cola trying to get some shelf space and their struggles. I just don't think we need another cola as Pepsi and Coke satisfies the majority just like Yahoo, MSN and Google can satisfy most people's search needs. Kind of like i just don't see another auction site coming up to challenge Ebay. There are others out there but Ebay is huge and overall people love them and are satisfied. What can somebody new offer, relevant search? If somebody new comes up with something i think the big 3 will either find out what it is and "borrow" it and incorporate it into their algo or just buy them up. Time will tell but right now i'm happy with 3 dominant search engines sending in the traffic.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread