I have Javascript based menu on my site.IF move your mouse over particular text in the menu will pop up with links to other pages. Can the search engine spiders detect these links in the pop up menu.

Thanks

i heard its possible, i have a js menu as well, and instead of the option to use a ***.js file for the menu on the home page.. i embbedded the code directly into homepages html just to make sure that when SE's spider that they have enough to munch on and can truelly see the links encased in my java code..

I may be wrong, tho i doubt it...but try to embedd the code directly into your html, instead of importing the code thru a **.js file...

hope this helps you

the answer is not usually...

I know from personal experience nav bars made with flash or javascript are ignored...

I have stopped using both for nav...

after all I'm sell stuff... not entertaining my visitors...

JOe
    Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

I've always heard that they cannot read links in javascript, especially if they are placed in a separate file.

That is specifically why the navbar at the top of my page is in javascript. It exists in a separate file. That way, the content of my page is moved further up to the top. I have all the same links that are in my javascript navbar at the bottom of each page so the spiders can still crawl those pages as well.

Someday, I'm going to re-design the site with CSS positioning instead so that the content can be at the top of the page in the file, regardless of where it actually is positioned on each page. I think that would probably make more sense in the long run than what I do now.

Anyway, just trying to give an alternate view of things for you to consider

Just like to add--

The reason that I put my links in a javascript file in the first place is because my original listing for this site in Google contained the links in my navbar as part of the description for the site. Not very pretty or descriptive. I think I originally discovered this trick on the Webmaster World forum.

You need to read up on how to use CSS instead of tables.

I use CSS to layout the header,content,left nav, footer text in individual html DIVs and order the html DIVs in that sequence, so that the content div comes befoes the navigation.

See The Layout Reservoir at
    http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
    for a good explanation.

Les

PS I still use old fashioned tables within those DIVs for the fine layout as I still find that easier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I use CSS to layout the header,content,left nav, footer text in individual html DIVs and order the html DIVs in that sequence, so that the content div comes befoes the navigation.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I already know how to do this, that isn't the problem. The problem is in doing it to 3,000+ pages. I don't really have the time for that right now. What I'll have to do is change the code for the pages by doing a few pages at a time.

ABW Ambassador
    HI Gregdi,

I would strongly recommend that you look into server side includes (SSI). You can achieve this on most platforms.
    What this entails is putting code you want to call from every page into a file and then calling that file from each page. As the code is added by your server it is there before the spiders get there and is seen as a static part of your page.

All the best,

Dirk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would strongly recommend that you look into server side includes (SSI). You can achieve this on most platforms.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Actually, I use SSI (the Microsoft FrontPage version of SSI, which is called an "include page") throughout my site for menus and navbars. It makes it easy to update the site, changing just one file and having the changes go throughout every page that the included file is used on. A really great feature that saves a lot of time.

I also use it for embedding coupons/specials into pages, because it makes it really easy to update those too.

The reason I have a javascript menu at the top of the page is to prevent the menu from being part of the description that Google uses for my pages. I have about a dozen or so pages that are all linked together for the same type of products, and the listing in Google looks like this:

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5|...

Not the most descriptive listing, and something that I need to change for those pages. I'll probably move that numeric navbar to the bottom of the page to prevent this from happening.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread