Ok, here I go. Just gonna vent and see if ANYBODY agrees with me.

First of all let me just say it, I am mostly a 'datafeed site' builder. But before Mike jumps on me, I really do try to add some 'value'. I try to add good search tools, my sites are specific to a type of activity or topic of interest, and I work hard on some tools to allow visitors to find what they are looking for.

Also, although I won't say I never link to my own sites, I try to not cross link unrelated sites unnecessarily. I am not a site thief (hopefully those of you that I have exchanged links with can verify that ) and I don't try to do deceptive spamming, cloaking, keyword stuffing, etc.

All that said, I am getting oh so tired of competing with sites that use questionable techniques or at the very least put very little effort into their sites design and get benefits other ways and losing out every time!

I have watched one site over the past few months buy page rank, buy good expired domains (not that there's anything wrong with that), and move the same pitiful shopping site from domain to domain as they grow their page rank and dominance in the SERPS.

Now, I really don't mean to imply that what they have done is wrong because, to be honest, I'm not sure it is. But, what I want to know is this - Is that what it's going to take for me to compete? I have watched my traffic (and commissions) on one site drop to a 10th of what it was in November of 2003 and am getting very concerned.

Oh well, I just needed to vent. I hope the SERPS are treating the rest of you just wonderful!
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have watched one site over the past few months buy page rank, buy good expired domains (not that there's anything wrong with that), and move the same pitiful shopping site from domain to domain as they grow their page rank and dominance in the SERPS.

But, what I want to know is this - Is that what it's going to take for me to compete? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beats me, but it's interesting to know that methods like buying old doms and buying PR are still working. I had read that Google was trying to weed out both of those. It sounds like G's efforts aren't being too effective!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Swampy I'd love to see someone other then the expired domain tricksters and that Hong Kong creep get some of those domains. You'd at least put some value beyond setting cookies and doing drive by BHO installs by jumping on those domains with your automated offerings.

I just got bent out of shape over some shady Registrar practices stealing a few of my and my clients domains during a last month domain transfer request. Frosts me to see those grandfathered lsitings going to some template directory listing site with SE spm tricks up the ying-yang
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

woah, Im new, and didnt know that type of thing was going on, (well, I knew it was possible... just didnt want to believe it was going on)

by the way, what is a drive by bho?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> by the way, what is a drive by bho? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ever go to a site and have it download something on you that you didn't want?

THAT'S a drive by BHO.

If you go to a site and a permission box comes up asking you to okay a download that you didn't want, that's a drive-by attempt.

The drivebys most hated by ABestWebbers are "parasiteware." (See the parasiteware forum for more info.) The fact that the drivebys on those expired domains were mentioned, tells me that they must be parasiteware downloads.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Interestingly enough, the site I mentioned before has now moved their site not to an expired domain but to a high ranking existing site. I don't know if they bought it or what but it's interesting. They left the old content in place and just added their shopping links to the site as well.

Again, not sure anythings wrong with it. Maybe I just need to buy a PR 8 site and stick all of my feeds there Oh yeah, I need to make a little more off of my pitiful PR 4's and 5's before I can afford that!
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread