I've been reading the various posts about several sites losing traffic due to SE changes. Yahoo, Google, etc. Also with the consolidations and acquistions of the smaller and older SEs to the major SEs, how do we guard against the traffic loss?

It appears that having links to good PR sites may not protect us, especially with the SEs creating and having shopping sections of their own.

What do you think about the future of SE traffic for affiliate sites?
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

ABW Ambassador
    It'll be fine.

ABW Ambassador
    What TrustNo1¬ģ said.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    We'll have to rely on the smaller engines. Right now there is no understanding Google. And Yahoo will ban your site without warning

It's a pain, I know - you think your starting to get decent traffic then whoomph, massive changes and your page views shrink to dismal levels. The dominance of google doesn't help, as that results in an "eggs in one basket" situation with changes in google causing devastation sometimes.

Educate your site's visitors and people you know away from google and towards alternatives.

ABW Ambassador
    "We'll have to rely on the smaller engines. Right now there is no understanding Google. And Yahoo will ban your site without warning "

Most of your SE traffic will come from the big three MSN-Google-Yahoo and whoever uses them for search results. That's not changing anytime soon. Smaller engines don't bring in any traffic. What exactly are you going to do as far as your site for a smaller engine then Google - MSN - Yahoo? They're going to be looking for the same things the big ones do.

"The dominance of google doesn't help, as that results in an "eggs in one basket" situation with changes in google causing devastation sometimes.
    Educate your site's visitors and people you know away from google and towards alternatives. "

Goole is dominant but so are Yahoo and MSN. So one of them might hate your site and the other 2 love it. If all three of them hate your sites i doubt any of the smaller ones that drive 0 traffic will love them either.

"Educate your site's visitors and people you know away from google and towards alternatives."

People are going to use whatever SE they feel brings them the most relevant results. And the alternative SE you recommend to your site visitors may in the future drop your site or bury you on page 100+.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    but what happens if the big 3 don't like your site

Access Point Advertising. Build quality links all over the web to bring in more traffic. Reguardless of what the SEs do, you can generate your own traffic. I think you'll find that most of the top ranked sites on the web have a lot of inbound links, (500 - 2000).

But think about it, each one of those links could also be delivering its own traffic to your site. Most people look to get sites with good PR to get higher on the SEs, I think you should also look for sites that are going to deliver its own traffic to you too.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

ABW Ambassador
    "but what happens if the big 3 don't like your site"

Then it's time to hire MarkyMark

If all 3 are hatin' your site, it's time to reevaluate some things.

ABW Ambassador
    Jack if all else fails try this i've posted about it before. Just make sure the address you have listed under your domains matches the address this is getting shipped too.

ABW Ambassador
    Jack,

I'm new and all, but maybe you need a little more content on your sites. Some of the pages have a lot of text, but the index pages are mostly links. Get more text, more pages, and more incoming links with good anchor text (even though you do seem to have a good amount of links and some decent PR).

That text might be something to think about though. I know a lot of people here don't like content, others don't even seem to worry about getting links. I'm still learning, but I say get both.

Anybody else have any thoughts?
    I forgot what I was doing.

Trust, did you buy the boxers? Did it help your rankings?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread