In February I finished a large datafeed driven website.

There are about 50 content pages, and then the rest of the pages are the category pages and individual product pages.

The products are categorized into a main category AND a subcategory.

The problem is, a lot of the category pages (both the main category pages listing the subcategories, AND the sub category pages listing the product with thumbnail images) show no titles/snippets in google.

Additionally 99% of the 10,000 individual product pages show no title/snippet - thus no rankings in google, as well.

I have 2 concerns. The first is that the individual product pages are 4 clicks fromo the homepage which only has a PR 5.

My second concern is that "too much" of the text throughout all of these pages is the same (I have written my own paragraphs and substituted in my own keywords for each page, but much of the text will exist on other pages).

I spent a couple of months building the site, and to see no return is very disconcerting.

I am thinking about doing an overhaul where I do two things : 1) Get the product pages to be only 2 or 3 clicks from the homepage

2) Do some programming to get the text throughout the pages "more unique".

It will take some time to do this, and I don't want to waste my time trying to rejuvinate a site that just can't be rejuvinated - and I don't know if these two issues are the problem or not...

What do you guys think I should do? I'm willing to listen to ANY suggestion/advice/Google insight.

By the way, the pages are NOT crawled much, but 7,000 + appear in the google index (only about 200 with titles/snippets)

Thanks,
    Dan

ABW Ambassador
    Write some code to rotate products on the front page.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

I rotate at random, I use a PHP script that picks random records and displays them on my main page.

Weisinator, do you use any special rotating method or are yours totally random also?

ABW Ambassador
    I had a random product showcase. Pretty simple: picture with a link to a detailed description and the first 100 characters of the description text. ProductID was drawn at random.

I let the site die, not enough personal touch, too much datafeed.

I'm working on a product review site. I'm not going to be random with the front page. The most recently added/updated will be showcased on the front. There will be a couple lists of most viewed and highest rated.

I've got some hole cards that I'm not going to show just yet.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Hey, so this works? So, let's say I pick 100 random records and display them on the homepage - and each links to the detailed page. Then, next week, 100 more.

Does it matter that the homepage doesn't like to the first 100 anymore? (i.e. will those drop out of the index now?)

Lastly, what type of a sitemap works for you guys? My first instinct has been to put a big sitemap on the homepage with links to all of the subcategories, which have links to product details for products in that subcategory.

It works on some sites not others.

Recently, I found out that the way to do it is to have your sitemap on it's own page and link to it from every page EXCEPT the homepage. Also it was mentioned to have the random "featured" products rotate on the homepage to get the deep indexing of description pages.

Any thoughts on the sitemap and product rotating?

Dan

ABW Ambassador
    Not one hundred random records displayed, one record displayed, but first hundred characters of the detail description and a "more..." link, as well as linking the picture of the product to the product detail page.

Sitemaps are a waste of time if you have a logical navigation structure.

I don't know about Site Maps being a waste of time. For very large sites, it because quite necessary. With the "100 links on a page" for google limit, and the fact that google will not spider much more than 3 levels from the homepage, site maps seem to be necessary in some cases.

But, weisinator, am I correcting in saying that you feel that only ONE product should be listed on the homepage at a time (linking to the detail page of course)? Why not put 10, 20, 50, or even 100 products on the homepage, call then "featured products" and link each one to the detailed product page?

Dan

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Danski, I don't know what these guys are feeding you, you seem to be getting too complicated. If I could look at your page then I could give you some advice, but here is my page K9 Calendars & Gifts. Is your page similar to this?

Private message me with your site and so I can look at it, placement and tell you if you have anything to worry about. Sometimes, it just takes time for google to correct itself. It happened to me once and I was going crazy. Near as I can figure the bot visited my site while it was down and erased its cashe. At least that was my theory since it happened a few days or a week after I noticed my site was down for several hours.

Mike

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I've been waiting close to three months for Google to come back now and still nothing. Yet my sites rank great on Yahoo and MSN.

Go figure

ABW Ambassador
    I have a site with over 4000 pages. The pages contained in it are on at least page three for all my targetted terms in Google SERPs.

A sitemap is not user-friendly, nor is it a good time investment when it's going to be at least 40 pages long.

Each page on the site should link to major site headings using targetted terms within the link text.

Same goes for the site's store. You should link to each store major category on every page using targetted terms within the link text.

Example, If you have a recipe site, you might have categories ranging from appetizers to beverages to desserts and a store with cookbooks, pots and pans, kitchen gadgets and aprons.

Put that on the left side of every page on the site.

I use category maps instead of sitemaps.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    I use category maps instead of sitemaps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's a better way to describe what I'm talking about.

Ok, the lightbulb has gone on. Basically, I will keep my "category map" which has links to every major category on the site.

But what I will also do now is link every page on the site to related major categories using targetted link text on the left side of the page (the navigation section), just weisinator mentioned.

I'll try a combination. It's a challenge to get all of these 10,000 pages ranked. We will see if this minor redesign helps.

Thanks!

Dan

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread