Hi all,

For those of you who use PayPerClick advertising (like Overture), does it pay off? Do you see an increase in sales to cover your click-through costs?

Right now, I'm not generating a lot of money with my sites. My debate is whether to invest in PPC as I fear I will not get a return on investment.

Someone prove me wrong!

Jason

Overture is good but EXPENSIVE. Kanoodle isn't doing anything for me. I gets lots of clicks from them but no sales. I have gotten a few sales from overtures.

Well probably the best way to put it is... if you could figure out how to spend $100 per day on PPC and make $400 a day in commissions... would you use PPC? You'll have to play around with PPC before you turn a profit. You'll most likely loose money at first. It takes a lot of research and tweaking of your ad campaigns to make money. To start you should focus on 3 or 4 word keyphrases and really optimize your ads for each keyword.

Also, if it didn't pay off overture wouldn't be in business

how can you track the sales? I mean how do you know where the person that bought come from?
    As far as Overture beign in business....doesn't mean that their ads work for all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kellmk:
    Well probably the best way to put it is... if you could figure out how to spend $100 per day on PPC and make $400 a day in commissions... would you use PPC? You'll have to play around with PPC before you turn a profit. You'll most likely loose money at first. It takes a lot of research and tweaking of your ad campaigns to make money. To start you should focus on 3 or 4 word keyphrases and really optimize your ads for each keyword.

Also, if it didn't pay off overture wouldn't be in business <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For affiliate sales its a good choice.

There are a lot of factors involved. If you have ads that attract the right visitors, a site that sells, and the right product it will surely be worth it.

I've been trying for a year to build a PPC engine from scratch. However, PPC is only a part of the package. You get a directory listing and you have the option of supplementing your listing using PPC. I think that gives your listings that extra value that regular PPC does not.

I hope you'll try it out for free:

http://login.vsoftdev.net

Its great that you are asking this question instead of just jumping right in. PPC can be a very efficient way to get qualified leads or it can be costly if done incorrectly.

My advice is make sure you have some kind of measurement or evaluation plan in place before experimenting with any new marketing vehicle.

We use a mix of freebie listings and the PPCs and would be out of business if not for the PPCs. You have to keep an eye on them, but they can work well if you find the right keywords and prices.

i think only gppgle adword and overture is working other ppc are only generate traffic not result , we try koondle,find-quick and go click now we are useing only ad words , bez overture in some expensive but giveing good resultls but need more money to run on overture , google is the best

Ditto those who say stick with Google AdWords and Overture. The others are generate traffic that is very, very poor quality.

If something isn't working for you without PPC, it likely won't work very well with PPC either. Keep working until you find some things that work well. If you're not earning at least a nickel in commissions for each unique visitor to your site, you'll have a hard time getting a positive ROI from PPC.

When you're ready to use AdWords, buy a tutorial about it. There are many of them out there, and it's cheaper to pay and learn from other people's experience than it is to make the mistakes yourself. Probably the biggest combination of mistakes is bidding high on general keywords, using ad copy that tells what you offer, and setting a daily cap. Bid lower, use a ton of specific keywords, use related ad copy that tells customers how to get what they want, and limit your spending through lower bids rather than a low daily cap.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hi,

I use Overture and AdWords, I prefer Overture because I can watch my money reserve slowly get smaller and smaller far easier then I can with Google. I don't like the shock of a big credit card bill at the end of the month because I wasn't paying attention.

Also Overture powers far more search engines then Google does IMO, well in the UK it does.

I have merchants that convert well via PPC and I'm sticking with it.

Malc - www.gadgets4kitchens.co.uk
    Adverts

kellmk:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you could figure out how to spend $100 per day on PPC and make $400 a day in commissions... would you use PPC? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but..

..by the end of the month you'll have run up $3000 on your credit card and you still won't have been paid. By the time you get your money it'll be another month and *now* you'll have run up $6000 on your credit card.

And sods law says that this is usually the time when one of your merchants shafts you by not paying. It happened to me, and I know it's happened to a lot of other affiliates.

You need to limit your exposure with PPC. If you're going to spend stacks of cash, make sure that it's a reliable merchant who you know well, but always remember that good merchants can go bad and don't spend more than you can afford to lose.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Excellent advice from the mooster! It's happend to most of us. Always make sure you CYA.

ABW Ambassador
    &gt;return on investment.

I think that it should be pointed out that all PPC bidders are not created equal.

There are tiered affiliates programs that pay a higher percentage to those that excel at generating sales.

Those with more to spend on PPC can drive up the cost beyond a new affiliates ability to pay and crush your ROI.

Set limits on your daily spending. You can effectively budget very easily with Google. And with Overture, only deposit what you can afford to spend.

Don't try to compete with the big boys/girls. If you've built a site that sells "portable DVD batteries", for example - you can expect to spend about $2 per click for the top position for that keyword. Use wordtracker or a similar tool to find some "sweet spots" - similar keywords that have a high search volume but that few others are bidding on. Less cost per click. Something like "dvd battery store" for example. Get creative. I have found some amazing unexploited search volumes in my day.

Enhance Interactive (formerly a-ha) is making a real push into the 2nd tier of ad vendors. I'd say that pretty soon they'll be equal to Kanoodle in terms of their distribution network. Check them out.

Sure, the traffic on smaller PPC vendors is less qualified, but if you use a combination of them you can end up with some serious traffic - and still not spend half as much as you do with Google. And yes, some of them will convert. It ain't all bad.

I do PPC affiliate stuff on the side and I use a nifty spread sheet to figure out how much I can spend per click and still make a nice profit.

I think that's the key with PPC. You have to know what you can spend and be willing to stick to that spend.

The "trailing" keywords that TrailerParkBoy was talking about are beautiful when you can find them. Google has been messing around with their matching lately so little things, like puncuation, are easy ways to find those words. Many people are not aware that widget, widgets and widget's all bring up different adwords results these days.

And don't forget common misspellings!
    http://www.searchspell.com/typo/

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread