ABW Ambassador
    What are your thoughts both positive and negative on this "non-profit" organization?

Affiliate Manager
    Worthless

They can deal all they want with SEO firms and getting media recognition for what they do. Let them deal with all the big corporations.

By the time they ever get anything done I will be doing something else. They have been around for about a year and have done hardly anything that I have heard about or know about. They put out some press releases, had a couple meetings, but I haven't heard of anything major coming from their efforts yet.

The bigger they get the less effective they will be. I can't see any benefit they will provide for the independant webmaster or affiliate. We deal on such a different level from the big SEO firms and big corporations that what they do will have little to do with what I do.
    Joe Sousa
    <a href="http://www.whatdoesjoethink.com">What Does Joe Think</a>
    Affiliate Coordinator
    <a href="http://www.fanatics.com">Fanatics.com</a>

ABW Ambassador
    Well then drcool

I hear there was a "closed door meeting" at SES - San Jose last night.

"They raised $266,830 to date. Members bring in 77% of the income and sponsors only bring in 23%. They admit they are not good at creating value for their members."

[Source - rustybrick @ SEW]

So what have they done?

&gt;So what have they done?

I hear they had a nice meal at the previous SES.

I'm surprised this hasn't generated more interest in this forum, from all I can see SEMPO are no friends of aff guys.

I think there are great dangers in allowing them to try and claim representation of the SEO industry. The views they present to their new found friends at the search engines won't be ones that will help aff's, I think they may be prepared to offer us up as the "sacrificial lamb". imhbo

ABW Ambassador
    So what is it exactly and what does it have to do with affiliate marketing? I've seen it mentioned in the BigBrotherWorld private forum a few times but never payed much attention. Is it just a place merchants can go to pick up a "professional SEO" to help them with their search engine marketing? And how would SEMPO affect affiliates?

ABW Ambassador
    Trust:
    Overture is a sponsor.

While Dan Boberg Director of Strategic Alliances, Overture (A Yahoo! Company)is a good guy, Overture and affiliates is a question that many here have voiced some concern about.

SEMPO Board of Advisors

&gt;And how would SEMPO affect affiliates?

Impo.

1. Their stated aim is to educate big business on what they call SEM.

Why go the aff route when PPC is so much better Mr Merchant.

2. They also seem to be positioning themselves as the "official" voice, of SEM.

Don't think they are gonna be looking out for us, do you?

3. It appears to me that they value their relationship with the SE's more than they value their relationship with webmasters.

4. Take a look at the board members, its no secret that some of them are very hostile to the aff guys.

Doomsday senerio.

They continue their work of making themselves best buddies with the search engines. One night in a smoked filled room after reaching a new round of sponsership with the SE's they ask, and what can we do for you?

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, then this worries me about as much as when Froogle came out 2 years ago and was labeled the Affiliate Killer. (mrmerchant and wayne porter totally wrong on that one).

1. As a merchant i would take thousands of affiliates over a company doing my SEM for me. With affiliates they only pay if they deliver and if a few drop a few more will take their place. And a lot of affiliates are better and SEO and PPC then people in that organization. This is all if merchants choose that route instead of/or dropping their affiliate channel. Thousands of affiliates would trump somebody doing SEM for a merchant. That's what affiliates do for them and only get paid if successful.

2. Maybe the official voice but so what really? Don't see how this would affect anybody doing what they're doing now, doing their best to get SE position and i think the best ones don't belong in any organization.

3/4 - Doomsday Scenario

Affiliates can pay attention and see where things are going and make adjustments pretty quickly. Take Google for example in a thread i started about Google really pushing Adsense now. They know a lot of affiliates use Adsense and a lot of them get better position then merchants on some keywords they are targetting. So Google would make more money with affiliates in key positions with Adsense on their pages then merchants with none. So in that aspect this is a way affiliates can make money for Google. They will be always using some sort of algo to sort the billions of pages out there so affiliates who know a little something about SEO will always have a chance. Affiliates who have learned how to do PPC successfully could make a good living just doing that. SE's need a lot of affiliate sites to fill out their index. Some are very relevant to a user's search and SE's have no choice but to list them. So i don't buy any Doomsday Scenarios.

All just my opinion of course and i'm on the outside since i don't know any of these people and never have been in any of these meetings or get togethers.

ABW Ambassador
    &gt;i think the best ones don't belong in any organization.

RIGHT
    They stay under the radar...........

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread