Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm just curious if anybody else is experiencing a 3-week Google dwindle? My traffic has slowly been decreasing over the past 3 weeks to about 40% what it was before. This is just after my traffic almost tripled due to Google. These inconsistencies get a little annoying. So far this year I've had 2 great traffic surges, but on the flip side I've had 2 big traffic drops. Google seems to be following some sort of pattern.

From January to March traffic was great, then Google did something in the middle of March that wreaked havok on my traffic. It took about a month and a half for traffic to start flying again. From May till the middle of June traffic was amazing. Now I'm back to a huge drop. I just hope it doesn't last another month and a half. At least if Google's consistent I'll have my traffic back by the holiday season.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

O i though i was Alone. I had Google account about 2 months ago and i was doing pretty well for my self.Then i stopped for a while until cj go off there ass and finally paid me. I started back up again about 2 weeks ago and i am using the same programs as before. but now ,my clicks have dropped like 70%. Whats the deal.

ABW Ambassador
    That's just the way search engines work sometimes. I'm sure you'll find others sharing the same experience. You'll also find others traffic holding steady or increasing. That's with every month. That's with just about anything in affiliate marketing or anything in business. Look at the CJ forum. Some are having a horrible month, some their best month ever. You'll always will find other affiliates sharing your same experience and others having the exact opposite experience.

Every time this happens it just makes me want to rely less and less on the engines. As much as they can help, they can also hurt you. It's much better just to build a solid userbase where the search engines can't affect your traffic. Now I just need to come up with the next big idea and run with it

ABW Ambassador
    Free SE traffic can be a bumpy ride sometimes. Just think with the next update you could be getting the best traffic ever from them. I have a page that i never touch, no new inbound links or anything like that and about 2-3 months out of the year Google will throw it on page 1 and i'll get about 1300 unique a day for just that page. The other 9-10 months it's on something like page 13 and maybe get 10-15 hits. Have no idea why, it just happens sometimes.

"It's much better just to build a solid userbase where the search engines can't affect your traffic. "

Agree on that.

Do you diversify your IP addresses to get varied results like that? I've been considering buying a new server so I can have a new block of IP's. This is probably a smart move considering all my sites so far have the same IP.

Everything ever said by google regarding ip addresses points out the address makes no difference.

ABW Ambassador
    Don't know anything about diversifying IPs or anything like that and don't think it has anything to do with varied results. Are you talking about the 1 page i used as an example? That's just 1 page on one of my sites that gets jumped around every now and then. Haven't touched it in almost 2 years, no new links into the site or the page.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Free SE traffic can be a bumpy ride sometimes. Just think with the next update you could be getting the best traffic ever from them. I have a page that i never touch, no new inbound links or anything like that and about 2-3 months out of the year Google will throw it on page 1 and i'll get about 1300 unique a day for just that page. The other 9-10 months it's on something like page 13 and maybe get 10-15 hits. Have no idea why, it just happens sometimes.

"It's much better just to build a solid userbase where the search engines can't affect your traffic. "

Agree on that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Question,i think the weekly google list of the top 500 search engines,shows Britney spears as #1, and goes down to some like mvies in the top 20, Since I have several merchants selling movies,and some other search engines blocked, like baby ,female,lingeie,etc. i read a MsN newsletter, that says google system is over 5 years old, and the developer built a web crawler, without realizing that the sytem would block these, his thought was to stop those under age from being exposed to those "adult sites',does this make sense, all of the products are advertised in all of the media? When I check traffic stats, these products are always the lowest,compared to say gardensm, auto parts, jewelry is another, the first 3 letters thinks it is anti semetic, and alays use plural terms,is this an outdated system?
    JJ

ABW Ambassador
    Jim, i have no idea what you're talking about. But Google is not an outdated system

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Jim, i have no idea what you're talking about. But Google is not an outdated system <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    What Trust said (the first part)... and I admit its not the first time
    As for Google, again what Trust said.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Here are the the reasons to complain about the less traffic from engines.

1. There are too many SEOs optimizing the page content than 3 years back. It is not fair. I want my marketshare.
    2. My competition wants to kill my website. So they got to an SEO. Again
    3. I believed that Google is only for my own website and it was too dumb. But it failed me Again

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The poor page builders are caught between the BHO POS (Point of sale) attackdogs and the SEO/SEM spammers. Trashing Googles SERPs rather then putting up creatives has been the trend over the last 2 years by the "tricks for clicks" players. Put the hammer down on SE spammers merchants or it's just you, the BHO's, and the tricksters competing for traffic. Shopping Traffic can't get into the shopping Malls when they're accosted in the parking lot by carpetbaggers, and fleamarket table vendors. If they do get through they then get hammered by hawkers in the checkout lanes.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Shopping Traffic can't get into the shopping Malls <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, the shoppers aren't supposed to make it into *your* mall.

The entire Internet is supposed to shop at MY sites!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    The poor page builders are caught between the BHO POS (Point of sale) attackdogs and the SEO/SEM spammers. Trashing Googles SERPs rather then putting up creatives has been the trend over the last 2 years by the "tricks for clicks" players. Put the hammer down on SE spammers merchants or it's just you, the BHO's, and the tricksters competing for traffic. Shopping Traffic can't get into the shopping Malls when they're accosted in the parking lot by carpetbaggers, and fleamarket table vendors. If they do get through they then get hammered by hawkers in the checkout lanes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shopping Traffic can't get into the shopping Malls when they're accosted in the parking lot by carpetbaggers, and fleamarket table vendors. If they do get through they then get hammered by hawkers in the checkout lanes.

You forgot this part:

Even If they do get through without a glitch and they make it home with the product, then you must pray that they don't go back and return it, so you won't get a reversal later.

Sal.

I have said it before, Google is filtering down affiliates and it probably stays this way. He hasn't found all of them yet. Pure affiliate sites can be found easily, but the mixed ones are harder to find. Probably Google is working on this now. I think there will be some kind of filter which says the higher percentage affiliate links, the lower the placement will be. I also dropped in March (over 70%) and no recovery yet. I have fair pagerank, but low visitors. All of my affiliate sites are dropped and none (2) of my content sites. This has to be algoritm.

Affiliates are duplicate products + competition for Froogle + competition for Adwords + a lot of Google harddisk space.

As long as products can found plenty in Google search, most visitors won't use Froogle.
    As long as merchants have affiliates, they have little interest in using Adwords.

And what worries me even more, the other big ones (Yahoo, MSN) are very often following Google (relevancy, toolbar, pagerank, large email accounts). So maybe it will get worse.

Google is not for webmasters / affiliates, but for visitors (and making money). Why should they promote duplicate products. The product of the merchant has to be on top of the search. If a visitors doesn't want it, he doesn't want the same product from 10 affiliates for sure. If his searches have to many of the same product, he can get upset and leave Google. Don't you think Google doesn't know this? I think Google is working to only merchant products and content.

I cannot think of one good reason why Google should list affiliate products. I am not saying affiliate marketing is over, but it won't go uphill anymore. I am looking for new ways, but haven't found it yet.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - - -
    I cannot think of one good reason why Google should list affiliate products. I am not saying affiliate marketing is over, but it won't go uphill anymore. I am looking for new ways, but haven't found it yet.
    - - - - - -

I think there is lots of room for expansion still, but it's all in the approach.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think there is lots of room for expansion still, but it's all in the approach. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope so. After 3 years, I'm just beginning to figure out what works for me. Now I'm worried I need to be looking in another direction instead.

Boise (who wishes she was a lot faster instead of just determined)

If Google is de-indexing affiliate sites, shouldn't they also start dropping sites like www.shopping.com, shopping.yahoo.com, shopping.msn.com and www.bizrate.com? These sites are nothing but overblown affiliate sites. What makes them stay in the engines? Probably the thousands of incoming links and support. This gives me hope that the more support I can build and the larger I can build my network, the longer it'll last. You really have to look at the big picture. We're in competition with Yahoo, Google, MSN, etc. I don't think many of us realize it, but that's the truth. As much as they help us make money, they're also our competition.

- Scott

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think there will be some kind of filter which says the higher percentage affiliate links, the lower the placement will be. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Unless they follow the links on my site they won't know they are affiliate links.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    If you do an ABW search for something like google targetting affiliate and variations, you'll find this conversation has taken place this year, last year, 2002, 2001.

Google tries to be comprehensive, tries to include as much of the web as possible i think.

As regards Froogle there are plenty of affiliate pages in there, just noticed a few of my boiler plate pages showing up there.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As regards Froogle there are plenty of affiliate pages in there, just noticed a few of my boiler plate pages showing up there. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of mine just got in there, too, finally.

But Froogle-bot picked up the shipping price from my pages, and put it in as though it's the *product* price! (I mentioned the shipping price because it's dirt cheap and therefore a great selling point--and it never changes.)

Problem is, some of the products cost over 10x the shipping price...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Uphill:
    I have said it before, Google is filtering down affiliates and it probably stays this way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think Google targets affiliate sites at all.. Many affiliate sites have a problem in that they'll never get listed in any directories, nobody will link to them without reciprocating, etc.. In other words they stand still for the most part and hope that things keep going well.. The natural course
    is that these sites fade away as increased competition arrives and directory listed sites put into play better seo techniques.. The algo shifts just gave many a helping hand out the door a bit earlier than expected..

I don't see google targeting affiliate sites for my products. What I see is other sites moving to the top. Pure information sites, huge sites like Amazon, the manufacturers site, magazines with articles on the product, etc. Naturally that pushes the affiliate sites lower by default. How can you compete against this? It can be done, but it's not easy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast