The yahoo owned bots are working double overtime. I've been seeing roughly 15 requests per minute for 48 hours. I've never seen a bot working this hard before.

http and a telephoto
    Then you didn't see the MSN bots at the end of May..... THEY worked hard!!!! My sites BETTER be in the new directory with all the sucking up of bandwidth they did!!! We are talking GIGS in 3 days.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I haven't been treated to well by MSN lately. I hope you do well with them. I hate getting spidered and not seeing results.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Then you didn't see the MSN bots at the end of May..... THEY worked hard!!!! My sites BETTER be in the new directory with all the sucking up of bandwidth they did!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad this was brought up... MSN has spidered my sites very heavy both May and June -3-4 times more (deeper?) than any other SE Bot. But I still can't find but one (1) outdated page - when I do a MSN search. None of my index pages are listed.

Is MSN waiting to launch a new index update soon? I thought I read somewhere that July was suppose to be some big update deal of some kind.

John

ABW Ambassador
    What MSN is gobbling up now won't show for awhile, whenever they decide to launch their own search. They're still using INK for now.

TRUST: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What MSN is gobbling up now won't show for awhile, whenever they decide to launch their own search. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that sort of sucks... I was hoping to see a big increase in traffic "soon" - 'cuz MSN is getting big chunks -vs- google or yahoo.

John

ABW Ambassador
    Could be a good sign, hopefully they'll take what they're gobblin' and give all of us some nice listings. When they do finally get around to launching it, i bet the boards will be pretty lively

ABW Ambassador
    Anyone figured out a pattern for yahoo updating index pages? They seem to take forever.
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    I've found Yahoo to be pretty fast both for new pages and new sites on non-PFI listings. About 4-6 weeks on average. I've no idea of their update schedule though. It seems to be that they add free pages every couple of days but I wouldn't put my house on it.

ABW Ambassador
    It's just weird that even ones with good listings still don't get updated too frequently (if the good listings would even effect it, I don't know).

What does PFI stand for?
    I forgot what I was doing.

ABW Ambassador
    http://techpreview.search.msn.com/

Take a look while you can.

"This site will be available for a short time. After we have time to incorporate your feedback and add some features it'll be back, new and improved."

http and a telephoto
    Cool!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

This doesn't look that great.

I'm seeing the usual keyword stuffing in the title and url. I think MSN forgot to change their calendar since 1999.

ABW Ambassador
    Wow. I am not talking how i rank, but just the result in general. They are terrible. It is a 1996 quality search engine. Wow is that junk.

Chet
    -edit - that is what i get for taking 20 minutes to respond... note to self - refresh before responding.

ABW Ambassador
    After doing numerous searches, i can't see anybody using them to search, it is pretty horrible. Yahoo and Google are liking this.

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.msn.com/

Looks like they got a new look. It's says NEW MSN Search but still showign INK, i guess what's new is on the right where you can search web, news, shopping etc.

Hmmm... More bandwidth utilised.
    But not a single traffic from MSN.

I have slowed the crawling by MSNbot using
    robots.txt

User-Agent: msnbot
    Crawl-Delay: 30

I thought of banning it. But, Not now.
    We do not know what MSN has in store for webmasters.

ABW Ambassador

Cool idea, Vivekar!

Both the MSN and Inktomi spiders have visited my site numerous times and MSN Search still can't find my home page.

I personally think any Microsoft search engine will be as buggy as a first release of Windows.

At least Yahoo, Google, Teoma and AllTheWeb found my home page!

RadarCat
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

there's a few bots from exava.com I think it was.. in less than 1 day they downloaded over 14,000 pages.

wish google would do the same..

I'm relatively new, so please bear with me. I notice a lot of folks refer to their sites when discussing this wacky game of ours.

What's the etiquitte on ABW? Do we not give out our specific URLs because we don't want to be copied? Is it akin to keeping our cards close to our chests? I get darn curious sometimes when I hear people talk about their projects and the ups and the downs - and wish I could see some of these sites for myself.

I have lots of ideas of my own that I'm developing (which will be appearing soon in a site critique thread near you), but I wonder - are we being modest or are we protecting our intellectual property and respective niches?

Thanks.

- TPB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrailerParkBoy:

but I wonder - are we being modest or are we protecting our intellectual property and respective niches?

Thanks.

- TPB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

maybe all of the above. Some just are modest, some don't want to have a site theif.
    Ebudae

I don't mind giving out my urls but why should I bother anyone here with them? It's kind of like exercising in the nude when you really need the exercise.

I, for one, like to see examples. It's a good way to learn which is really what this forum is all about, no? Site theives are a real problem, though. Anyhew, thanks for the reply.

Just go shopping and you'll see all the examples you could ask for. If when shopping you don't see an affiliates site they weren't worth looking at. The real sign of a good affiliate site is the one that gets your business.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread