ABW Ambassador
    Anyone who has google set as their default search engine in IE. Type a major brand into the browser address bar.

Pretty nifty huh! Google delivers you directly to the brand's site.

Thoughts?

[Edited to add: This is an automatic update to Google toolbar entitled Version 2.0.112 New! Browse by Name - save time by typing names instead of URLs in your browser's address bar]

DPG

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Nice. At times I've found it difficult to locate a company's web site because of all the unrelated sites spamming the name.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Interesting - they're doing a directory service rather than a search engine.

Its good for people only searching for the specific company but I guess thats scary for the affiliates. Visitors will keep on landing on to the merchants site directly then affiliates site would have very little part to play.

While on traditional SE, when bot brings results it does also bring few of the affiliates sites. In that case there is a possibility that affiliate site may get clicked.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Google delivers you directly to the brand's site.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'd only be cool (to a viewer) if a user really wants to go to their site.

But it'd be a PITA if trying to research a brand, unless you only want to see the corporation's own opinions of it.

And for affiliates, of course it sucks no matter what!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    How many people search on brand name? I rarely do.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I am not exactly sure the Brand name will take you to the owner's site. If you go to google, type in a search term and choose, "I'm feeling lucky" rather than "Google Search", it will take you to the #1 listed site when you do a normal search. I think setting Google as the default in IE does the same thing. Can anyone confirm this?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Edited to add: This is an automatic update to Google toolbar entitled Version 2.0.112 New! Browse by Name - save time by typing names instead of URLs in your browser's address bar <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This only affects the google toolbar and yes it is in effect.

http and a telephoto
    I have the latest toolbar and I don't get those results. I get regular search results. I have SP2, maybe that did something to it?
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Check your tool bar version... current is 2.0.113.

This option has been on by default since version 112.

Goto options and see the new option on the first page.

[]Enable Browse By Name in your browser's address bar.

This is on by default.

It doesn't affect searches in the tool bar.. Just when you type in a search directly into your browser's address bar.

Dirk

http and a telephoto
    Yes I have that version, however, I never type search terms into the browser address bar, I always use the toolbar.

How many people (that aren't on aol) think to type search terms instead of urls into the address bar? That would be a statistic I would be interested in...
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Loxy, i never thought of that stat until a few years ago i saw my sister do it and then swear at etoys for being so unprofessional (of course it was not the toy store but the original owners of the domain).

Always underestimate how smart your surfer is, never underestimate how stupid they are.

Chet

Anectodal expereince. LOTS of people type in search terms in the address bar. Just like lots of peopel go to yahoo and type in www.domain.com in their search field. This is the reality of it.

As for numbers for users typing in the address bar, I don't have speficics but when Realnames.com was still in business, that is a healthy revenue source for us as users would type in our trademark in teh address bar to get to our site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Its good for people only searching for the specific company but I guess thats scary for the affiliates. Visitors will keep on landing on to the merchants site directly then affiliates site would have very little part to play. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They way google is these days the manufacturers site for a well known brand usually comes up first in the serps anyways. Might not be what I am looking for so I personally don't want my browser taking off by iteself.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread