If I have absolutely no experience and want my site (not affiliate related) to get good rankings, do you guys recommend I pay someone? Where can I find a trustworthy person to help me out? How much does it usually cost?

Thanks for any advice.

by "not affiliate related," do you mean it doesn't sell anything in an affiliate type relationship? just has content?

why do you need good ranking? the search engines take content into account when they react to search requests.

Hang on to your money....

Unless you have more then you need.. in that case...

why not make a generous donation ot my favorite charity...

ME!

Seriously,

the best thing you can do is learn SEO...

It won't cost you any money just some time studing the subject and then some trial and error.

If you are not an affiliate site...

I'm not sure why you are in a rush...

Content rich sites usualy do better then sales sites if they are well writen... and keyword optimised...

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Thanks guys. I do have a service I am trying to sell (hence the need to have have good rankings) but I dont have any affiliate links or anything like that.

I have seen a bunch of programs that guaratee you top placement if you pay them money, now I am starting to think that might be a scam.

the "services" try to sell you something they can't even prove they caused. sooner or later the search engines _may_ show you in a good light.

save your money

ABW Ambassador
    How can those services guarantee top placements?

Can they get you to the number 1 position?

How about if you and a friend wanted to get to the top for the same keywords? Would they get both of you to number 1?

"guaratee you top placement if you pay them money"

You pay them money and you get ripped off.

The only way that they can get away with claiming top placement is by getting you to number 1 for a shitty term that nobody cares about (thus fulfilling their claim of top placement)

I am certain that I could get to number 1 for thousands of terms that nobody else is optomizing for, but why bother? those terms are useless.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> guarantee you top placement <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep if there's 1,000 of them pitching a guarantee for top 10 placement, that leaves 990 of them out on the sidewalk even if they are good enough to do the job right.

A good SEO will make no guarantees other than to improve your current positions, and even for that you'd be looking at an expenditure of several thousand$.

If that's economically feasible for you, then by all means do it. If not, read around about the subject and do a little experimentation yourself to see what happens. Sometimes little tweaks can make a big difference.

ABW Ambassador
    Your right, Julian. When you're selling Yellow Widgets, these clowns will get you #1 for "Widgets of a red/blue hue."

I just went through this with someone trying to con a client out of 99 bucks plus a monthly fee for "guaranteed 1st page placement on 13 search engines." I usually hate it when my client calls with an unannounced conference call but it was an interesting exercise. He wouldn't name the search engines other than Yahoo & after some tooth-pulling admitted Google wasn't among his baker's dozen and that it may take some months to gain first page status. Keeping in mind that Yahoo can be set to return 100 results/page and that half of the two search engines that anyone uses is not even in the picture, I told my client to put half his 99 bucks into Adwords and the other half in my pocket where it would do some good.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    "I have seen a bunch of programs that guaratee you top placement if you pay them money, now I am starting to think that might be a scam."

I guarantee you top placement if you give me money. I'll just buy some Overture Ads or Google Adwords and you can be page 1 for anything you want.

They're basically scams. If you want someone to do SEO for you it's best to find someone like a MarkyMark who knows what they're doing and you can trust. I think he's busy but i know an SEO forum he mods, there are some good ones there, some he might recommend. Or can you can learn on your own, read around. Basic on the page optimization and then getting links in usually does the trick.

Here is the one I was going to do:
    http://www.websquash.com/topranking.html

"We guarantee your homepage to hit in the first 3 pages of the search engine results.
    After we optimize your homepage, we submit your website to 1500 search engines and directories."

I think I should proably hold onto my money and give it a try myself. Thanks for all of your insight

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by UncleJesse:
    http://www.websquash.com/topranking.html

"We guarantee your homepage to hit in the first 3 pages of the search engine results.
    After we optimize your homepage, we submit your website to 1500 search engines and directories." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I wonder how many people search for "hotels in nafplio"? (Example 9 at the bottom of their page.)

Anywho, you're right to save your money. Just the homepage for $75? 5 pages for $160?

When you tackle this, keep in mind that you should not be looking at it from a page perspective, but as a whole site optimization. Certain off-page factors (inbound link text esp.) affect the ranking a great deal.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    Notice that they do not actually list which search engine that they will get you to the top 3 pages in

Also, notice that most of their examples are for their own sites

Pay me the $74.99 and I will get you to number 1 on Google for your choice of 100 different search terms (a choice from a list I give to you)

I could probably get you to the top for a search term you suggest, but not on Google, it would be on a search engine that nobody ever uses, so it would be completely useless.

Don't waste your money. Never ever ever pay anyone ever to guarantee placement on a search engine

1500 search engines!

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We guarantee your homepage to hit in the first 3 pages of the search engine results. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That could be the problem right there
    I can guarantee results for the first 3 pages
    If I wanted 3rd page placement where it wouldnt do me any good I'll just keep doing what I am doing now. That my problem, I am 3 pages back and not on the front page.....
    I'd be wanting first page guarantee.

1,500 search engines? Probably includes the popular "A Coupla Guys Sitting Around Drinking Beer with a Spare Server So Lets Build A Search Engine" search engine. Guaranteed to get you nowhere.

Save your money. Do it yourself, it can be done.

Andy

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    For these folks that want to take your money for "optimization Services"...

Find their own keywords in their site and meta tags... and see where they themselves stand in the rankings for their own keywords...

This will help you to stop wondering if they can work miracles or not...

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread