Google says they will make some changes to the adwords program on 9/14.

Already some affiliates are grumbling on some of the other boards, especially those sending traffic directly to merchant sites.

Hope some of this is for the better.

CJ
    "Every mans life touches so many others"
    - Clarence

I just put my little adwords acount on hold yesterday it was useless to advertise my site when the guy above me and below was using the merchants name as the title. I am hoping they stop redirects. I know if I was a merchants I would be pissed at this point or actually that google has let this happen in the first place.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Seems logical for Google, and other major PPCSE's who have normal SERP listings, to look at weeding out trademark keyword abusers as the law suits fly left and right. Affiliates have little control on natural SE bot listings and can only be controlled on trademark abuses by the trademark holders for HTML page content.

But affiliates/merchants who seek to hide behind direct to merchant PPCSE trademark violations to set cookies, or fool keyword shoppers by redirecting to alternate merchant sites, open the PPCSE up to law suits. Those playing the tricks for clicks game combine cookie stuffing tricks on their own pages for natural Google/Yahoo/MSN listings. They then can play the dirty tricks game on the PPCSE listings by hijacking popular trademark/brand terms taking... ie... "Geiko Insurance" and redirecting that searcher to "ABCinsurancebroker.com" without using a BHO popup and try and fly under the radar.

So called smarter affiliates build keyword trademarked packed doorway pages with blind redirects to their best offer merchant (not Geiko), while opening multiple cookie stuffing popunders to their alternates. The concept is to eliminate showcase pre-sell page building efforts and concentrate on SERP spamming and PPCSE keyword intercepts just as the BHO's do with contextual browser spamming.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Using a merchant's trademark to drive traffic to the trademark holder itself (or a licensee) seems like a fair enough use to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Using a merchant's trademark to drive traffic to the trademark holder itself (or a licensee) seems like a fair enough use to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Really! That's hardly deceptive. What's the gripe? If the merchant doesn't want to buy and pay for it, or if they are unwilling to out bid an affiliate, what's the problem. If the affiliate can purchase the ad and hope to make a profit, the merchant could bid up to the amount of what they would pay the affiliate and make a profit. What's the gripe that they are making less profit than if they didn't have an affiliate? So what. If they don't like it, just let the affiliate pay for the ad.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I thought Google doesnt allow this "using the trademark of a merchant while redirecting the traffic to some other merchant.

As per my experince Google keeps reviewing the adwords and disapporves any in voilation of their rules, using tradmarks as keywords, ads having landing page with pop-ups, spelling mistakes, grammaer mistakes, any false claims, affiliates not mentioning "aff" in their ads, url errors. So in my opinion Google wont allow the wrong redirects. Ads in voilations to these rules may run for day or 2 but eventually Google disapproves them.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

SSanf
    The problem lies when they use the merchants name and offer something that doesn't exist just so the person clicks and maybe buys something anyway. example:
    Widgets.com
    free widgets free shipping
    widgets.com

what if widgets.com doesnt give away free widgets or free shipping.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjshu:
    Google says they will make some changes to the adwords program on 9/14.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did this come to be?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Did this come to be? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah. Just try adding a new ad.

This is a *real* PITA. Firstly, if I want to drive people to a product, e.g. a Sony ABC123, it first of all complains about the trademark and *then* might well complain about a spelling error in the product name.

How exactly do you get an "exemption". After all, if I'm selling a Sony TV I expect to be able to mention that in the ad?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I didn;t happen to add any new ads... not looking forward to it.

About the spelling, they say they "take care" of that - which is a lie! Or their algorithm sucks and they're just ignorant. Type in mispelled words and their corret version - you get different results. So if they block us from entering mispellings.... they're stupid and they're losing business... maybe they should make anyone using a search engine NEVER mispell a word, then all would be right in their world...

One change I did notice (but wasnt sure when it came) is the conversion tracking... they used to have two versions - basic and full... looks like full only now... (but I just wrote them). Since most affs don;t do the conversion on our sites - the full tracking they're offering won't help us - so if they decided there's to be no partial (or basic) - then I may join the conspiracy theory group here....

The reason were here is to add value which drives sales. We can't legitimately do that with handcuffs on. If they killed my basic tracking (the appending of lots of info for each Google-derived visitor), I'm going to be pissed! I'm working on a project to use that appended info - I need it - and the full conv crap they have now is clearly not for the average aff (who doesn't close the sale w/o handing off to merchant)...

Better get an answer from those Google-heads quickly... I spend a ton with them!

The real problem is the dilution of their trademark usage. The more its not protected, the more it won't hold up in court if some serious loss came to them because of trademark infringement.

So its worth it to the companies to stop all this little crap to save themselves from the big crap. (In its simplest)

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nyfalcon:
    The problem lies when they use the merchants name and offer something that doesn't exist just so the person clicks and maybe buys something anyway. example:
    Widgets.com
    free widgets free shipping
    widgets.com

what if widgets.com doesnt give away free widgets or free shipping. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If widgets.com doesn't have free widgets or free shipping, the person bidding on that will LOSE THEIR SHIRT quick, paying for all those dud clicks!

It's not like sucking in FREE traffic. With free traffic, a pathetic CR still often means a profit.

But when each click costs money, even a nickel, bidders learn fast that ONLY *qualified* traffic is worth anything, and any dud click (nonbuying traffic) is poison to the wallet. Those that don't learn, run out of money.

That said, there's always some putz, and I'm sure there are fools out there paying for clicks using ads which will only draw in oceans of dud clicks. But unless they can withstand unlimited losses, their businesses will die if they keep it up!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread