Hi,
    I've had good traffic coming from google to my websites, untill it's ranking method changed about 6 months ago or more... now I only get hits from yahoo and MSN now, and my earnings decreased majorly since Google started low-ranking all affiliate sites... I didn't really tried too much to understand what to do in order to get good rankings at Google like at the old times... can someone explain me if it's possible?

Thank you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> my earnings decreased majorly since Google started low-ranking all affiliate sites <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> News to me. There is absolutely no proof that Google targets affiliate sites. Let's not start spreading that, because it's just not true.

The problem with many affiliate sites is that they offer no original content, and Google has always said they want content. My datafeed sites took a hit last spring, but my sites with handmade pages and lots of content are doing just fine - even those with 20+ affiliate links on them. In fact even a datafeed shopping subdirectory, as long as its' attached to a content site, can do really well in Google.

While it is true that a top 40 listing in google will net much $$

not everyone is going to get a top spot.... I think to much hype is givin to google...

I have seen here a ABW many complian because google changed something and there went the income...

I too have suffered this mality..

i think we forget the other 9 major search engines...

I have always gotten most of my traffic from the other 9... in fact some of my best listing are in Yahoo and MSN for obsure keywords..

guess what... these words make me money...

I have several websites the make a consistant 40 to 50 dollars every month...

while its not much.. it pays the bills.. heck these site aren't even listed in google..

While it's not the $5,000+ that many affilaites enjoy.. I'm not greedy.. I just want my share of the pie.. if that means i have to get it 20 or 30 dollars at a time thats ok with me!

after all I have 125 websites and the number is growing..

you do the math.. 30x125=?

what i am trying to say is I would rather have many sites earning a consistant income the a few large sites the varying inome...

the ups and downs are what mess up family relationships... most spouses want stablity.

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Could you list those 9, in approx / general order of traffic you see?

And you're definitely right about the number of sites - but 125 is more than safe... I'm thinking like at least 5 to diversify and make sure no one site or grouip of related merhants can take you down... 125 - you don't need more for safety's sake... imo.

my earnings decreased majorly since Google started low-ranking all affiliate sites.

Hmm news to me too. Google seems to be providing alot of traffic these days but yahoo and Msn seem to be bringing more then Google. Though there is no proof that google is low ranking affiliate sites and I'm not going to say google is till I see myself which I in turn doubt that will happen if you have content that people like.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Yahoo hates affiliate sites worse than Google. At least in google they don't remove your whole site

my "pure affiliate shopping & coupons" site has lost all traffic from google, though it is still in the index but it ranks on 34th page for a 7 word search phrase where the exact phrase appears on the page!

other smaller sites that imitate a real online store or with niche content and sporadic affiliate links are way up in rankings.

Yahoo and MSN never liked any these sites, though Ask Jeeves likes them all very much.

Affiliate Marketing is pretty much "dead" for datafeed affiliates who do not play the "catch-up with google" game. May be time to start posting resumes.

I predict that google is on the watch to kill most everyone else who make money on google traffic without making google benefit from it. Can speculate on how they plan to benefit from everyone else's google traffic by closing the network! but will wait.

1 site, 9 sites, 125 sites... does not matter... if you are in mercy of google, start posting your resumes... (unless of course you already have a job and do affiliate marketing for entertainment purposes only!)

I made good enough money from affiliate marketing and will keep trying until I see no hope, at which point I will probably move on to bigger and better things.. Playing games with Google isn't for me.

Hope Google is treating you well... don't fall for it... yet...

- BluesX

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    so True BluesX ...."I predict that google is on the watch to kill most everyone else who make money on google traffic without making google benefit from it."

If your pages don't pin point the needs of Google shoppers eventually Google will weed them from top exposure. Original content gets you a pass but both Adwords and the BHO's feed off content too. Most affiliate never build pages for bookmarks and shotgun their merchant choices without regards to whether they offer real vaule to web shoppers.

My server stats show an increase in SE traffic as the SE spammers get whacked so hang in there folks and build pages for shoppers ...not the SE's. Now if only I could take the time to showcase some more merchants as every cookie stuffer and trickster overexposes Overstock. TD's a dead duck due to HitBox and changes in their affiliate policies. Time to build some niche' pages for myself rather then merchant clients who all have increased sales with the SE shakeouts.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    It's very easy to make claims about what Google is or isn't doing and why, but let's leave the conspiracy theories out of it. Google certainly isn't "low ranking all affiliate sites", for one. And, for two, while they might like to "kill most everyone else who make money on google traffic without making google benefit from it", this is still a free inclusion search engine and unless they go to a completely PPC model, it ain't gonna happen.

Google is a search engine. Search engines have a mathematical algorithm that determines what sites are about and how to rank them. The game is the same as always = figure out that algorithm and deliver sites that match it. Nothing much has really changed. Except it's got more difficult.

I must disagree that the game is not the same as always...

Google is surely pushing SEO affiliates down using a combination of their mathematical algorithms (and yes I have an MS in Math) and their business goals.

I have seen many spam marketers who claim to get any site in top 10 in Google AND Yahoo with their SEO secrets.... I have done it myself for 5 years with no secret whatsoever... and I live it for free that things have changed.

It may be easy to "claim" things, that's one thing, experience and realities are another.

I have a site that fools google using "fake forms" and "fake shopping cart", this site's traffic has skyrocketed since august. I sent a feedback to google to figure out what this site and many other similar SE tricksters are doing to doom them the way they did to other SE optimizer affiliate sites. I guess I can be fair to myself.

- BluesX

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Google is surely pushing SEO affiliates down using a combination of their mathematical algorithms (and yes I have an MS in Math) and their business goals <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, as someone who has an MS in Math, you can surely see that the following is faulty logic:
    my sites are all affiliate sites, my sites used to rank well in Google, my sites aren't ranking well in Google anymore therefore Google is deliberately penalizing affiliate sites.

It just ain't true. There's many a site - affiliate or not - that used to rank well and is no longer doing so. There's even more new-ish sites that have never ranked at all.

So, you have a faked shopping cart site that's doing the business in Google. That's great, but it proves nothing one way or another.

The algo may have changed, how Google looks at inter-relationships between websites may have changed, but there's still an algo and if there's still an algo, it's still possible to get top rankings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    but there's still an algo and if there's still an algo, it's still possible to get top rankings. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That, I have no problem with. Algo is no longer trying to rank best matches on top, so it is no longer an algo that will make you money just because you have a hand on product data or that you can place phrases on your page and rank high. You have to play the catch-up game with the algo changes and have a good insight on Google's business goals to at least realize that possiblity of getting top rankings.

A fake shopping cart site getting top rankings, hidden affiliate link sites getting top rankings, pure affiliate link sites dropping from rankings, fake content sites doing well on google.... it gives me some hints, but i do not and will never claim that I know the business better than anybody else, especially you.

I pretty much know how to be an effective participant in the google algo catch-up game and have enough grounds to do it quickly, but i predict the near future in different way than you do looking at the hints I am seeing.

BTW it really does not take an MS in math or PhD in theoretical physics to follow the ill-logic you have quoted above.

- BluesX

Action Jackson - King of the World
    These conspiracy theories are always so entertaining

ABW Ambassador
    What MarkyMark said. You can't just wordtracker your site to death and expect to get top listings just because that phrase is on your page. And there will always be an algo so everybody will always have a chance on getting some top rankings.

What is the latest on the algrythm? What are the do's and don'ts?

ABW Ambassador
    The thing with that, is even if you figured out with 100% certainty what the new algo is and made changes, they can switch it up again at anytime. They might switch it back to the way you had it. So you end up in an endless cycle of chasing the algo. Just do the basics and don't do anything that would get you in trouble and you should be fine. If you do your homework you can get top listings.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Algo is no longer trying to rank best matches on top.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I know what you're getting at, Blues..the algo is no longer looking for 'exact matches' but all algos try to place the best match on top. But the kind of heavy optimization that had 'keyword phrase' at the beginning of the title, 'keyword phrase' in the h1 tags and first paragraph and 'keyword phrase' in all the inbound links just isn't doing the business now.

Google have readily stated they are using what they call a 'contextual lexicon' of related phrases and words to assist in ranking pages. As an example, my own site now ranks for something like 'high search engine ratings' or 'top search engine rating' or something equally obscure. There's no mention of the word 'ratings' on the page, there's no links using that phrase but nevertheless it ranks on that phrase.

Let me also give another insight into what I think is going on at Google and at Yahoo. About 18 months ago, a colleague of mine in the SEO industry who has - let's just say - closer ties with Google than I do suggested some ways that search engines could move foward.

i) Rather then clustering two results per domain per results page, the SEs could cluster no more than two results for each network or each destination.

IE: You'd get no more than two affiliate links to Amazon for each search phrase on each page of results.

Also Person A's big network hub that has a high ranking clothing page but links out to their own clothing specific domain would see a drop in rankings for one or other clothing specific pages.

Does this tie in with what you're seeing at Google ? It does - to an extent - for me.

ii) He also suggested this - because of the amount of spam in the search engines, a search engine with enough resources could institute 'off the web' factors as part of their algo. IE: Their staff would hand review sites. There is only one search engine with that kind of resources - Yahoo as they have all those Overture reviewers plus their own directory reviewers. And they're doing it.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread