I noticed that I've started to get more free traffic lately from MSN & Yahoo and that the results have been very similar on both engines. They both seem to be picking up the same pages and the same keywords. They're actually getting to a lot of stuff that I've been very frustrated has not shown up on Google.

I'm curious what other people's experiences have been on these engines. With their new search functions, are they going to challenge Google as providers of free traffic? Are there important differences in their algorythms from Googles that I should be aware of when building my sites? Are there specific directories that they consider more than others that it would now be good to get into?

Thanks for any advice. Dave

I have been seeing the same...

I think the yahoo and msn willgive google a real run for its money...

I also think given the success of Yahoo and Google... some investor is going to see the potential for profits and want to give it a go....

there is more available start-up cash then ever... 313 billionires... not to metion the multi- millionaires... all with big wallets and bigger egos....

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    I have noticed a very typical phenomenon, All my affiliate sites that ARE listed in yahoo are not doing good in google, and those which are good in google are not even listed in yahoo.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Same here! MSN and Yahoo have spidered new pages which Google doesn't seem to have picked up yet - result is much more traffic from them and so-so from Google.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I noticed that I've started to get more free traffic lately from MSN & Yahoo and that the results have been very similar on both engines. ~ Organic <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Similar results are also shown at Altavista and Alltheweb. About MSN, I wonder why they indexed thousands pages from my server but only show 2 pages on their search results.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

While I'm not seeing a huge increase in traffic from MSN, I am seeing loads of activity as it crawls my sites. They registered over 98,000 log entries this month so far on my biggest site. Don't know how to see how many pages they indexed (anyone know how to check this?) so I don't know if all this crawling will help me or not.

Compare that to Yahoo (220) and Google (44,387) so MSN is busy doing something. Would be nice to see a good increase from other SEs after the 90% drop I saw from Google this Spring.

Also seeing something new, nearly 3,000 pages indexed by Pompos. Anyone else seeing this?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Noticing an increase from MSN/Yahoo as well. They've had most of my site and it seems they got a little more, almost all of it now. MSN and Yahoo will pick up the same pages since MSN uses INK and Yahoo uses them as a base for their index.

I been telling you guys to ban the googlebot for months now. I have many pagess top 3 in yahoo and msn and not in google at all and I couldnt care if they were in google or not.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>While I'm not seeing a huge increase in traffic from MSN, I am seeing loads of activity as it crawls my sites. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The reason you're not seeing much of an increase in MSN traffic is because MSN currently uses Yahoo's database for it's results, where as the MSN Crawler you're seeing on your site is the crawler for the new MSN search engine that hasn't been released yet.

ABW Ambassador
    "I have many pagess top 3 in yahoo and msn and not in google"

"I been telling you guys to ban the googlebot for months now."

Could be why you're not in Google

ABW Ambassador
    LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>While I'm not seeing a huge increase in traffic from MSN, I am seeing loads of activity as it crawls my sites. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    The reason you're not seeing much of an increase in MSN traffic is because MSN currently uses Yahoo's database for it's results, where as the MSN Crawler you're seeing on your site is the crawler for the new MSN search engine that hasn't been released yet. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I hope that means good news. I was always nervous about depending so much on Google, even though that meant a very nice income. I was too busy adding to my site to pay much attention to the other SEs and that decision sure came back to bite me in the arse big time.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I noticed that I've started to get more free traffic lately from MSN & Yahoo and that the results have been very similar on both engines. They both seem to be picking up the same pages and the same keywords.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright, Dave ! They share the same database with slightly different algorithms. The reason it takes longer to get this traffic is that Yahoo's database doesn't update as often as Google and their spider takes longer to index all the pages on your site.

As for the directories question...I have a list of maybe 20-25 new directories that I can email you.

I wouldn't mind that list myself Mark.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread