Hello All,

Would like to know if adding AdSense to the site a good idea?

Some people say its great and they earn some bucks. But doesnt it takes away your own potential customers? Specially if you are running an Affiliate site you would like to send your visitors to your merchant site and increase the possibility of earning commission, which I guess would be higher than what google pays for the AdSense.

Yes, one thing is true that AdSense can earn you some instant money, while sending visitor to your merchant site doesnt ensures a sales.

BTW does Google Spider love the sites with Adsense?

I would appreicate comments on this and correct my concept about AdSense, if its wrong.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If you have page content and a non-converting merchant showcase page...definitely put some Adworks links on that page. Hopefully that same merchant will get booked a per-click fee for refusing to find out why his site doesn't convert.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Mikes right, if you have page content, ie. a quantity or unique text info and are not interested in focusing attention on affiliate ads or products that you sell directly, Adsense is a good addition to those pages.

Google claims Adsense ads do not influence their indexing of your sites. They do spider it with a separate spider for purposes of targeting your page with appropriate ads.

So the answer to your question is "yes and no." Or "depends." Only you can pick the pages it is right for.

Wayne

Thanks Mike, Thanks Wayne,

I guess I have a better idea about Adsense now and where exactly to place them.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

i placed the code all the places ,
    not just non-performing affiliate links.

I put it on my link pages and added a Google search box to my home page.

Last month I about $30 from Adsense with no discernable impact on my affiliate sales. It's not big bucks, but it's something I probably wouldn't have earned without Adsense.

Thanks everyone for the insight.

One more thing, does one get to choose the keywords for the Adsense or Google places them in accordance to the page contents?

I place the ads on low performing pages. I've had the same thoughts as you have concerning losing customers to adsense.

I may eventually move adsense onto all pages, but until I've developed a better understaning of whether the ads cause a loss of affiliate sales, I'm sticking with what I'm currently doing.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

Newby Apologist
    Last fall I suspected AdSense ads might be siphoning away potential affiliate clicks, so I removed them. The change had no discernable effect on our affiliate numbers. After two weeks, AdSense went back on the site and has been humming along ever since.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    &gt; I may eventually move adsense onto all pages, but until I've developed a better understaning of whether the ads cause a loss of affiliate sales

Well, within the last 30 days I have added Adsense to 3 sites and have received both an increase in sales from Adsense and also from Affiliate sales.

Before that I had no Adsense on two of the sites, Adsense in a different color on another site and sales where down on both ends

My theory is that more people are seing 1 - a value being offered to them and an alternative to finding something else on your site where they can click-through because the product or service they found on your site from the SE was not sufficient 2 - they where going to exit your page anyway so might as well see what that ad in Adsense is about 3 - I think it might add some credibility to your site when people see "Ads By Google" perhaps makes them think your site is credible or something.

Still, there are many, many reasons why some sales increase or decrease and might work or not. Always test and test is the name of the game.

Ok lets see, how many in favor 7 and against None.

Thats it, I have to start using AdSense. Let me go and get my money back from Google which I paid them through my PPC campaigns.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    &gt;I have to start using AdSense

Hey I was just giving you actual facts, but don't really want you competing with us, ok.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi,
    I have adsense on most of my sites (all, except my pharmacy site). I discovered that for some merchants, I make a epc of about 4 times with adsense than I would make using their affiliate program.
    Also, since I used adsense, my conversion with most of my merchants has nicely increased.
    So, for me, adsense is a real blessing!
    Thomas Burgemeister - Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@LensWorld.com - 425-372-3471
    LensWorld.com: 10% commission, 120 return days, parasite free - Sign up at <a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=20626">ShareASale</a>.

Putting in Google ads doesn't make sense.

Let's say that for every 30 people who click on the ads in your site, Google ads and your affiliate ads, one will buy.

Now, let's say Google pays you ten cents for every click. So, you get $3.00 from those 30 clicks, but if you had only your affilate ads, you would have received more money from the commission.

Put in more variety affiliate ads so you increase your chances of getting more clicks.

If you have Google ads that seem to be working better, be an affiliate for the product that is in that ad. Then put up your own ad.

We're not about to use up our valuable space for Google ads. It wouldn't make sense to do so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ahmar:
    Hello All,

Would like to know if adding AdSense to the site a good idea?

Some people say its great and they earn some bucks. But doesnt it takes away your own potential customers? Specially if you are running an Affiliate site you would like to send your visitors to your merchant site and increase the possibility of earning commission, which I guess would be higher than what google pays for the AdSense.

Yes, one thing is true that AdSense can earn you some instant money, while sending visitor to your merchant site doesnt ensures a sales.

BTW does Google Spider love the sites with Adsense?

I would appreicate comments on this and correct my concept about AdSense, if its wrong. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your concept is completely wrong. Adsense not only pays better than sales, it doesn't reverse transactions, withold them an extra month and payments are consolidated. It seems like every genius here thinks you come out better with sales but do some simple math. Lets pretend you make 10% commission on a 100 dollar sale and you average 2 sales per 100 clicks sent to your merchant. That would be $20.00 profit right? No, because the merchant might reverse some of those sales and you won't know for another 30 days up to 60 days. Meanwhile you sent the same amount of traffic to adsense and average 15 cents per click for 100 clicks and got 15 dollars you can pay your bills with. Now of course things can change. You may only convert 1/100 CTR's to a sale and make only ten dollars with a merchant. You may average 20 cents per adsense click thru (I do) and make $20 dollars per 100 CTR's. All you gotta do is look at the average EPC with your merchant to know if adsense pays or not. Obviously they do much better than 99% of affiliate programs.

Perry all you have to do is look at EPC stats to know your theory is wrong. Most run well under ten dollars.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Perry:

Let's say that for every 30 people who click on the ads in your site, Google ads and your affiliate ads, one will buy.

Now, let's say Google pays you ten cents for every click. So, you get $3.00 from those 30 clicks, but if you had only your affilate ads, you would have received more money from the commission.

Put in more variety affiliate ads so you increase your chances of getting more clicks.

If you have Google ads that seem to be working better, be an affiliate for the product that is in that ad. Then put up your own ad.

We're not about to use up our valuable space for Google ads. It wouldn't make sense to do so. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You lost me at "Most run well under $10," Heyder.

Then again, I'm brain dead from working all night. UGH!

As for reversals and witholding an extra month. We would drop a merchant if they did too many reversals, and, especially if they witheld the payment. Why deal with 'em if they withold payment?

We make sure we put enough variety ads in our site, make sure some of the ads are more than 10% commish, and make sure that they are one of the most popular products out there for better conversion. Like ink cartridges and sex products.

I'm not sure on this, but I think you can't request ads for the most poular products, and the ones where it pays you above average pay for each click.

Many sites have complained about this. Google may have since changed this. I don't know.

We don't want a Google ad taking up our valuable space that may advertise something that doesn't interest most people, when that space can be used with an ad that has a product that is more sought after.

We could wake up the next morning and see an ad advertising socks!

We would also have to ALWAYS keep an eye on all our pages to make sure the right products are being shown, and we don't want to do that.

We'd be crazy to give our valuable space to a Google ad that pays, in most cases, 5-15 cents, and, on products that may not interest most people, and not have control on what products can and cannot be shown.

One last thing. There are, of course some Google ads that really pull in clicks. Well, what we would do, if we had such an ad, would be to copy the text in the ad, make our own ad from it, and then contact the merchant to become an affiliate.

We just turned that space into a better way to make more money with our own ad that has the same text that was pulling in all those clicks as before. That is, if we don't get that many reversals.

Well, anyway, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

What's for breakfast?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One last thing. There are, of course some Google ads that really pull in clicks. Well, what we would do, if we had such an ad, would be to copy the text in the ad, make our own ad from it, and then contact the merchant to become an affiliate.

We just turned that space into a better way to make more money with our own ad that has the same text that was pulling in all those clicks as before. That is, if we don't get that many reversals. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That only works if you are either paid *per click* by the merchant, or if the conversion ratio is good.

Some merchants who advertise on AdSense couldn't convert their way out of a paper bag, but want to pay per-sale to affiliates anyway. AdSense is the better deal when it comes to those dud merchants.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You lost me at "Most run well under $10," Heyder. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try to explain that...

Your example had AdSense paying 10c/click. That's a $10 EPC if translated into CJ-ese.

Most merchants' per-sale programs cannot attain a $10 EPC...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

High-traffic low-revenue pages are fairly easy to identify on any site. They're an ideal candidate for putting AdSense ads on.

Don't bother with those pages that pull in significant revenue, but in my experience even if you have hundreds of pages, there are only a few that are actually cash cows.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Newby Apologist
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Perry:
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're basing your conclusions on some dangerous assumptions.

First, the choice doesn't have to be AdSense versus affiliate links. As I and others have noted, you can certainly run AdSense on the same pages as affiliate links without cannibalizing your affiliate sales.

Second, you're assuming that AdSense doesn't pay as well as affiliate links. As Heyder and Leader have pointed out, AdSense actually outperforms many (though not all) affiliate programs. Obviously this varies by niche, site design, etc., but overall the EPCs seem to be pretty comparable.

In the long run, one would expect market forces to drive the EPCs into pretty similar territory, and I think that's pretty much what we've seen happen over the last year or so.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you're operating on a different model than most of the affiliates here. Affiliate ads for impulse-buy items on pages with unrelated content, perhaps? In that case, you're right, AdSense won't do much for you. But in cases where the content of the page is highly relevent to the items you want to sell, AdSense generally does a good job of providing well-targeted ads that can provide an additional revenue stream.

If you're doing high volumes of traffic on a small number of pages, it may make sense to manually tweak the greatest possible performance out of affiliate offers. But on a large site with lots of heterogeneous content, AdSense can be a very economical way to generate targeted advertising revenue without much overhead.

And if AdSense is serving ads about socks, it's probably because the page they're on is about socks. Doesn't it stand to reason that people reading about socks might be more interested in buying socks than, say, printer ink or sex toys?

Newby Apologist
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dynamoo:
    High-traffic low-revenue pages are fairly easy to identify on any site. They're an ideal candidate for putting AdSense ads on.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We put AdSense on a large number of content pages that were otherwise pretty difficult to monetize. One of those pages, as it turns out, contains content that triggers AdSense ads for personal injury lawyers. In a couple instances those ads have paid 100 times what typical ads in our niche pay. Not bad for "free money."

I have google ads on every single page of every web site I manage.

Without breaking the terms and conditions of my google contract and revealing details, my earnings are over 10 times the $30 a month mentioned. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Last month I about $30 from Adsense with no discernable impact on my affiliate sales. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not allowed to reveal exact figures but let's just say that the sum above is paid every month.

Malc
    Adverts

Perry, thanks for sharing your opinion and showing the other side other wise everything was in favor of AdSense. But still majority thinks having AS is a good idea.

Is anyone here using Google Adwords as an
    'immediate' way to find out what google thinks page X is all about?

Does placing Adwords at different parts of the page closer to different content alter the genre of the ads that show up?

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread