I've been reading a lot of yadda-yadda on the net written about search engines penalizing a site for pop-ups, too many keywords, keyword repeating, and so on.

How do you tell if a SE is penalizing you? I'm sure they don't send an e-mail saying, "Hey, your site has too many of the same keywords, so unless you change the keyword density to be no more than 3 of the same kind, we're going to penalize you..."

How can you tell? I know that if your sites drop for no reason, that's one way...but what if you're just beginning and your sites haven't worked their way up yet?

Thanks,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How can you tell? I know that if your sites drop for no reason, that's one way...but what if you're just beginning and your sites haven't worked their way up yet? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They just *don't* work their way up, as long as the penalty is in effect.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Leader-
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They just *don't* work their way up, as long as the penalty is in effect. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, how do you know if the penalty is in effect?
    Do the SE's tell you? How do you find out???

Confused.
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    No, SEs don't tell you (although if you get *banned utterly,* you can tell because your site won't show up even if you search the SE for your site's own URL!). But in any case, there's no email to let you know.

Unfortunately, there's no "scientifically certain" way that I know of to find a penalty beneath ban level. But if a site won't rise no matter what, over a period of months, that's as big as a sign as you'll get.

Some people do email SEs and ask if they've been penalized. Reported results from doing that are mixed.

SEs like to be hard to decipher, so an "educated guess" type of reading of the signs (is the site staying tanked despite lots of good links in, and proper on-page optimization?) is about as close as you can come to determining if you've been penalized, unless you email the SE--and they choose to respond with useful information.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks, Leader.

I've been wondering about this...I guess I'll just keep an eye on my domains, and if nothing happens, or they fall in ranking, then I have to wonder what's going on.

Rick K.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    You need to be in the Googlebot INNER CIRCLE to know. This is surely one of life's mysteries.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    It's quite simple to make a determination about whether your site COULD have been penalized. Just go through the check-list on Google.com webmaster guidelines page. If none of these could possibly apply to your site, then there's no way you could be penalized.

So that leaves two possible explanations - a) your SEO is crap and needs changing or b) Google's algo is crap and needs changing.

markymark,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So that leaves two possible explanations - a) your SEO is crap and needs changing or b) Google's algo is crap and needs changing.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    So, I guess this is something like "Damned if you do, and damned if you don't."

Cheez. Nothings cut-and-dried anymore.

Rick K.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm sure they don't send an e-mail saying, "Hey, your site has too many of the same keywords, so unless you change the keyword density to be no more than 3 of the same kind, we're going to penalize you..."
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do, if you ask.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Received: from 216-239-45-4.google.com (216-239-45-4.google.com [216.239.45.4])
    (using TLSv1 with cipher EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA (168/168 bits))
    (No client certificate requested)
    by MYSITENAMEDELETED.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8DD8E710099
    for &lt;MYEMAILDELETED&gt;; Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:18:45 -0400 (EDT)
    Received: from tkk-fe2.corp.google.com (tkk-fe5.corp.google.com [172.25.0.24])
    by 216-239-45-4.google.com (8.12.11/8.12.11) with ESMTP id i7NKIXWH012431
    for &lt;MYEMAILDELETED&gt;; Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:18:43 -0700
    Received: by tkk-fe2.corp.google.com (Postfix, from userid 5701)
    id 4F5BF63064; Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:18:33 -0700 (PDT)
    Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:18:33 -0700

... publishers are not allowed to display Google ads on sites that include the use of excessive keywords in the content or code of their pages....
    Sincerely,

Joyce
    The Google Team <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread