I just found a new SE online called Snap.com. It looks like a really good tool to use.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    You got me!

An aff site disguised as a SE... when will I ever learn? Always falling for the cheap jokes and spam.

And I thought I had seen lots of legit posts here from you...

Donuts, I don't think he's spamming. I can see how somebody would think this site is useful. It has my sites indexed at least
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Snap isn't DarkStar's site, unless he's Bill Gross from IdeaLab in disguise, of course.

This not my site. I found an article about new SEs and this was the best of the bunch. Using the search feature on this site, you can narrow your results. I thought this feature was kind of novel.

No from me on this. Just info.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Darkstar7 - I retract and apologize for my accusation that you were spamming this - I was wrong. I did go back and review your posts that I've seen before and conclude you definitely are not spamming this. I was wrong and I'm sorry to wrongly accuse you.

Snib - I didn't say it wasn't a "useful" site -I was asserting that it's not a Search Engine - I position I still hold.

Darkstar7 - Do you have a link to that article about new Search Engines you mentioned? Please post it - I could definitely learn from it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snib:
    Donuts, I don't think he's spamming. I can see how somebody would think this site is useful. It has my sites indexed at least <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you run PPC campaigns for the sites you said are indexed here?

If traffic here is clicking your link and Snap is getting paid by another party (like overture and google), then this is more a link farm than a search engine.

If you're getting traffic to those indexed sites via natural SE results only, then I'm wrong (AGAIN!!!) - and this is a search engine that has your site indexed within it's own crawlers and own ranking algorithm and what not.

Always do your research before you "Snap" to judgment

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1667070,00.asp

Erik

Yeah, yeah - said sorry already.

Let's get back to what this SNAP thing is.

I read the article posted at eweek - and still say this is not a search engine, but a combination link farm and affiliate site. From the article...

"Snap also has a focus on shopping-focused search."

+Why is that?

"For its beta launch, Snap has created structured data around three types of products—digital cameras, MP3 players and laptops"

+Anyone think they can scale SNAP to the likes of Google and Yahoo where people can search for anything? (I think this is more like Froogle than Google, but way smaller than Froogle)

"With Snap, Gross is bringing together advertising within regular search results but in a way different from paid-inclusion programs."

+Ummmmm, yeah...

"One variable in the relevancy is a site's conversion rate, whether based on purchases of products from an e-commerce site or subscriptions to a content site."

+Hey, that's what I do - look for things that convert and try my best to show them to people looking to buy something... I call myself an affiliate... perhaps a few 1,000 products listed and a sort and search feature on my site and I'm then a search engine... or maybe I'm Santa Claus - that sounds cool too.

"Advertisers can choose one of six methods for calculating their spending that include paying per click along with categories such as paying per transaction, per customer or per transaction."

+More choices than Google AdWords or Overture... but very UNLIKE a search engine!

"Other information Snap is revealing directly through its site includes its revenues and how much advertisers are paying."

+Ummmmm, yeah.

""Someday we might make our own crawl, but the problem with search today is not breadth but relevancy," Gross said."

+I'll rephrase that for you - "someday we'll be a search engine, but for now we're going to focus on popular consumer products so our program makes money"

Now, before anyone posts here - remember these extra things:
    +I don't think this is a bad service
    +I think it could be useful to MANY consumers and researchers and others as well
    +There's nothing wrong with being profit oriented - I am all about that
    +There's not anything wrong with what they're doing - I'm going to see how I can get listed there

My only question is this - who else thinks this is a search engine?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread