More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am considering replacing a large block of navigational links with a framed file to reduce the keyword diluting effect. So no, I don't even want the framed content to be indexed.

Are there any other drawbacks of frames these days? Is there another fairly simple alternative?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    If you're framing your navigation, how are the spiders gonna get around your site ? If your text navigation is diluting your keywords, a simpler solution is to use buttons or image based navigation links.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markymark:
    If you're framing your navigation, how are the spiders gonna get around your site ? If your text navigation is diluting your keywords, a simpler solution is to use buttons or image based navigation links. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply!
    I would leave the links as in the index page, but replace them in all the other pages. I will look into the alternatives you suggested.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would leave the links as in the index page, but replace them in all the other pages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I guarantee to you that if you use that method, your search engine rankings will fall. 100% certain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I guarantee to you that if you use that method, your search engine rankings will fall. 100% certain. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Why would they drop? Does the lack of interlinking bring the ranking down?

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, the lack of interlinking will kill the PageRank of your internal pages. Also the removal of all that anchor text will have a negative affect on the rankings of each page. Change your text navigation to image navigation and then you can include whatever alt text on each image you like depending on the page.

Thanks for your help markymark! (This would have cost me a bit of traffic!)

I have also considered php includes - would this be the best alternative?

ABW Ambassador
    A php include is no different to having all the text navigation hard coded into the page. Spiders see the outputted page and so will see all the content of the php include.

You should always use PHP, otherwise you'll need to update hundreds or thousands of files to make one change in your navigation. I can't even imagine making a site without PHP, it's just too much unnecessary overhead.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Isn't that what global search and replace functions within web editing software are for

Seriously, though, it's a matter of exercising control over the individual content of each page. The more control you have over all the elements of each page, the more you are able to get your content ranking well.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, Snib, just making a pertinent point.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread