I have been having a very lot of "now you are there, now you are not" viewing my log files. Within seconds I can follow back the search that placed me in the first 10, but when I get there I can't see my site, at all. This has been going on for about 3 weeks and is getting increasingly more. Does anyone know if it has to do with preferences settings?

I also have been checking the multi data centers - doesn't seem to help me see anything more.

I've noticed this too. Another way you can test is to simply refresh a search query to see how it changes. They're constantly shuffling things around. It's getting harder and harder to hold onto a particular phrase for any amount of time. Google still manages to send an okay amount of traffic using this method, but it would be nice if a site stayed in the same place for at least a couple days.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

the refreshing thing doesn't bring it up either - I can hit the button for 30 or 40 times, still notta.

I guess the changes hold for a little longer than I thought. I've been seeing the same thing. A visitor comes through Google and I follow their link back to find my site is nowhere to be found. Maybe we're just catching these keywords the second Google changes the results.

I just caught something by fluke - at&t search uses a Google data base for their search - more often then not you can catch the position over there - interesting, there is a lot better ranking then I can find on any of the other data bases.

ABW Ambassador
    I would just keep working at it. Hopefully something is going at least halfway right if you are popping up from time to time.
    I forgot what I was doing.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That's not the only weirdness from Google lately.

Seems I've recently gotten fair rank for some KitchenEtc pages, judging by the Google-referred hits in my logs. Thing is, those pages were taken offline within a week or so after KitchenEtc went BK. Just what I wanted, okay traffic--to my 404 pages... (argh!)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    That's not the only weirdness from Google lately.

Seems I've recently gotten fair rank for some KitchenEtc pages, judging by the Google-referred hits in my logs. Thing is, those pages were taken offline within a week or so after KitchenEtc went BK. Just what I wanted, okay traffic--to my 404 pages... (argh!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you aren't letting that traffic go to waste! When something no longer exists, send them to your primary category for this type of product. If it's all in a specific folder or follows a certain format, you can do a simple mod_rewrite rule to send any potential 404's over to a page of your choosing.

- Scott

Action Jackson - King of the World
    ummm aren't they still active? I have clicks still showing at PF

This crazines has made me to start thinking that SEO is a waste of time, as 1 month I"m in Google and the next month I"m not, and back and forth, even when no changes were made to my site. Does anyone think that Google is just doing this to get us to use their PPC instead?

SEO isn't a waste of time, but you can't make it your focus. Focus on your visitors. Gather their email addresses, send them promotions, keep them in the loop. You need to harvest and maintain your own audience. As you do that, Google will begin to open up and feed you more and more traffic. Search engine traffic is more of a reflection of your actual traffic than anything. Google knows when people are talking about your site in forums. The more buzz you generate, the more traffic you'll get.

- Scott

Thanks - I already have that in place (emails, customers, newletter etc), but still have seen my site ranked on top for my keywords with Google and then dropped for no aparent reason. I just don't get Google anymore, and have stoped trying to do any more SEO. My site ranks high to very high with MSN and Yahoo, but nowhere to be found in Google.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My site ranks high to very high with MSN and Yahoo, but nowhere to be found in Google. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto Here

Many of my tier 2 pages are nowhere to be found on Google but rank quite well with Yahoo and MSN.

Google is probably working up to a major algo change.
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

Does anyone else think that maybe Google is doing this to get more people to start using their pay per click service?

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Special Agent 00:
    Does anyone else think that maybe Google is doing this to get more people to start using their pay per click service? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Nope.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Me Neither.

Nope... The effect that you mentioned is more
    likely caused by the constant tinkering that
    google does with their algos'...

Had something similar on one of our sites...
    One week #2... next week gone... next week #2 again... weird...
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

I'm back in Google (today), will probably be gone tomorrow peek-a-boo...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I had been missing this thread and hadn't seen those couple of responses to my post, sorry.

Jack--KitchenEtc IS DEAD. Ignore PF's interface, and go directly to www.kitchenetc.com and you'll see KitchenEtc itself pushing up the daisies with their "The KitchenEtc web site has closed." notice. I don't know what's with PF acting like they're still active.

Snib--I didn't bother redirecting those 404s since, in the past, I haven't managed to salvage any sales by doing that when the merchant is gone. The only time it seems to be beneficial to me to "save" 404 traffic is when I still have the same merchant, and have simply updated the section.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Some interesting points Leader, but what about making an impression on somebody with your own brand? Even if you can't offer them exactly what they're looking for, show them something to make them familiar with your establishment. Even sending a 404 to your index page is a good idea. Waste-not, want-not

- Scott

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread