More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am starting to get link exchange offers where I am asked to link to their main site in exchange for a worthless link from their "doorway" site. I get no traffic and no ranking boost - they get an inbound link with no apparent back link. I would imagine the search engines like google will catch up with this practice soon enough.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Thats why I don't do link exchanges anymore. I even have exchanged links in the past and a few days later they remove my link with no notice.

So I just sell text links on my site.

They're also using redirects, blocking SE's with htaccess file and all sorts of crapola. I'm thinking about dropping the whole link exchange idea, too.
    ~Ernie

I just read a newsletter that talked about how SE's may start giving less importance to # of links due to so many worthless links out there.

However, I'm not ready to believe it and simply stop trading links. It does make sense though, so many ways to make bogus links that they have diluted its real value (from real, relevant links).

It's an interesting exercise to go through your link pages and see how many of your "reciprocal links" are no longer reciprocal.

It's a real shock to see how many are gone...

CDC
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do...

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Got a couple more this afternoon. This time I entered their "link farm" page only to see it not indexed in google in each case!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's an interesting exercise to go through your link pages and see how many of your "reciprocal links" are no longer reciprocal. It's a real shock to see how many are gone... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was also amazed when checking links pages. I cleaned out about 25% of them. Today I received an email from one of them asking why their link was removed.
    ~Ernie

Hi,

I'm the same...I do link exchanges...but with real people.

I never exchange links with site's that are using non standard pages and obviously just want a one way link as you all said.

If you want to exchange links...just ask me !
    Adverts

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread